Road Rash Treatment

dmethvin

I had a pretty rough faceplant this weekend on a sidewalk that led to a nasty road rash. It taught me that I should probably be wearing at least long pants, but since I am a stubborn guy and want to look and feel cool all the time (it's 90F/32C around here) I would prefer to just fix the boo-boos when they occur.  (Scars are cool, right?)

Anyway, as you might expect the two-wheel cyclists have already had to deal with this. There is a clear plastic-like stuff called Tegaderm that is great for helping road rash heal. You clean the wound and wait until the bleeding stops for 24 hours or so, then apply the Tegaderm and it helps the wound heal much faster. The fact that it's like skin against you is also nice, much less visible under clothing than gauze or bandages.

The problem with Tegaderm is that it's really expensive if you buy it locally. I got four 4x4-inch pads at my local drugstore for $20, that hurt almost as much as the road rash. Places like Amazon have it for much less, so it's worth buying some to stock up just in case you crash. And face it, you're gonna crash.

My mother was a nurse and she manage to get our local chemist to sell her a bottle of liquid collodion years ago but I believe there are come comercial versions available that just spray on and form a plastic skin antiseptic skin.

I remember it always used to sting like he'll because of the alcohol in it though.

Good timing on mentioning this, just had my first fall on the Firewheel... :D  Nothing serious, just a bit of bloodied road rash in my hand. Didn't even really notice it, until over 10km later, as I ran out of battery and had to carry the wheel home. While carrying, noticed that my other hand had blood on it.

@dmethvin

I had some years ago an accident and my nose was stitched.

The surgeon told me to avoid at all cost the sun, even indirect rays and to regularly and generously apply vaseline on and around the wound to avoid it to dry and to keep it from water to avoid it to be... wet ! I am always amazed how those simple steps work wheel, the scar is now nealy invisible on my nose, so I religiously abide by them.

With my recent Gotway take off (in fact the take-off was great, it was the landing that causes problem :P ) and a big rash on my right knee, I can't go to the beach unexposed for at least the next two months, and with nice weather coming back now, that really sucks.

I just took a good fall tonight.  Bloodied both hands and scraped my knee.  Worst part is that I ripped one of my favorite pairs of pants.  

For the flesh I just use soap, water, and band-aids.  Lots of band-aids.  

Lots.

And lots.

@dmethvin, wondering what caused your fall. Was it an equipment malfunction or operator error? Just curious.

​Actually, I know exactly what caused it because I was testing out my new camera that was mounted to the Firewheel with sound. I was riding next to a noisy road and couldn't hear the lady saying "You are speeding". I hit a bumpy area of sidewalk and got thrown forward. So I just exceeded the point where it could keep me balanced. Once I get back home I can upload a clip of me wiping out. 

Yeah, so as @Gimlet says, the "black box" confirmed that it's operator error.

• 1 month later...

I have never ridden yet and am waiting for my new EUC to arrive early September. From what I see so far, it seems like hardly anybody wears even light gloves, light knee pads or elbow pads or helmets at all. So, is this "a thing?" I mean once you learn to ride it, you just don't wear any protection at all- even light stuff to help avoid road rash? I know I will always be wearing pretty tough gloves, because I play guitar and I need my hands. My band mates are worried about this, lol. Just curious.

I have never ridden yet and am waiting for my new EUC to arrive early September. From what I see so far, it seems like hardly anybody wears even light gloves, light knee pads or elbow pads or helmets at all. So, is this "a thing?" I mean once you learn to ride it, you just don't wear any protection at all- even light stuff to help avoid road rash? I know I will always be wearing pretty tough gloves, because I play guitar and I need my hands. My band mates are worried about this, lol. Just curious.

Seems like most don't, I'm on the other end of the spectrum:  :D

gear.jpg

Then again, a shunted Firewheel goes over 30km/h... ;)

Sorry to hear about the fall. I'm still recouping from a tumble too. It's funny, when one falls, everyone falls. It comes in sets. Band-Aid season. :P

BTW, which camera did you decide to go with?

No.  I say it comes in threes, so were all done here.   I hope.  ;)

Well I guess I will edit and upload my video haha while in vancouver, the wife and I were doing the seawall in stanley park, I did alot of pointless filming with my ipod. while filming I was doing about 18kms/h and my pedal clipped the cliff wall in a tighter spot while I was looking/filming behind me and I ate it quite hard, like the hardest yet, like people stopped and asked if I was going to be ok hard . road rash on my side about the size of a wallet pants were fine but my boxers were torn badly, picked some rocks out of my hand a day or so later when they came back to the surface. knees are skinned as well.. my reaction was priceless I'm glad I was filming,. I was wearing a backpack with a pelican case in it that was about 30lbs so that may have saved me a bit of road rash. this has now been about my 4th wipeout that involved blood, being a skater I just usually pop back up as it comes with the activity, fortunately I have not been seriously injured yet, also I wear nothing in regards to safety gear. as its bulky and hot.

treatment 

oregano oil and soap to clean the wound 

organic coconut oil to slather on in place of harmful crap like poly 

the crash was on august 14th I do believe I took pictures of one of my wounds as well today is the 22nd and it is healed I will take a picture of it and try to include the pictures in the video,, also does anyone know how to blur out faces and whatnot in video ? 

Seems like most don't, I'm on the other end of the spectrum:  :D

gear.jpg

Then again, a shunted Firewheel goes over 30km/h... ;)

Cool. They could shoot you out of a canon and you wouldn't get hurt, lol. I am going to probably use a mouth piece for my teeth, the kind of knee pads that are like sleeves that can be worn under my pants, another set of the same knee pads turned sideways for my shins the 1st few (weeks), same kind for my elbows, Under Armour protective gloves and probably more of a lighter weight skate board type helmet. You look cool in theta gear. My wheel will be the KS 800W and it has torque and speed out that wazoo, so I am going to get this stuff today.

When I got banged up I was definitely under-protected (that's another term for "stupid"). I had on just a t-shirt and shorts! It was really sunny and hot out that day (90F/32C) and I didn't want to sweat. So instead of losing sweat I lost some blood. Luckily I did have a helmet and it most likely prevented my head from being whacked badly. 

For cooler weather I have been looking at some UglyBros jeans that are made for motorcycling, they are a little pricey but stylish. They have pockets in the knees and hips for padding, so you can be pretty well protected without looking like you're wearing a suit of armor. Some have Kevlar to make them even more durable against abrasion.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1379525

Archived