Never had a problem with your Kingsong

Toma

9 hours ago, Toma said:

Hi guys is there any one that's never had an issue/problem with their King song?

Really a bit of a pointless leading question especially pitched so negatively (as if it is hard to find someone who has not had problems!) Just search the forum. Every wheel has its problems, none are perfect even the best could have a simple fault and none have redundancy that would allow them to continue working with a fault.

Bottom line is that the KingSong protects the rider better than most. Potentially the safest wheel with the least problems ought to be the new Uniwheel, safer battery technology, specific safety features built into the design, looks well designed and engineered, etc. However at the cost of a high price and low range - not to mention the fact that it still is not yet on the market.

It wasn't ment to come across negatively at all, so apologies if it did.

I've ordered my self one and just wanted to know if any one had problems. I'm trying to find as much info as possible. I've read the forums and there is good and bad with all but just worried as I'm a first timer with the EU scene.

always get a bit nervous when going in to something new.

Sounds like you should have researched before buying ;)

I've just done the same thing. I looked at all the models and decided that King Song seems to be the safest due to it's design and the amount of power it has. Even at it's top speed it still has loads of torque available to keep you balanced. Most issues I've read seem to be due to driver error. Typically accelerating too fast and the wheel not having a chance to warn the rider before kicking them off.

These wheels are like any vehicle. They can't protect you from bad driving. If someone accelerated too fast in car and the wheels spun causing it to become uncontrollable we would blame the driver. It seems that people want to blame the wheel first because there have been issues.

I've brought a KS16 btw.

Kev

Thank you for the feed back, starting to feel settled about it now :)

I know it's a powerful monster and I got the 840wh battery, I'm not a speedster will use it for going through woodland paths  and big parks and long journeys.

i did have a SBU V3 ( looks like an actual unicycle) not so long ago but had nothing but trouble with it had to swap 3 units but still had issues, battery would only last 15min! Think due to problems with that Ive been cautious regarding this.

Going to be good with my Kingsong. Positive thoughts :D

It's the KS16 that you've got ?

I know that there have been very few issues with kingsongs (mostly ks14), they have the reputation of being ugly but solid, unlike the ninebot which has the oposite reputation ^^

Normaly, the issues occure very quickly (exept the battery issue) if you use it often ;)

I'd say don't worry about it, just enjoy and if there is a problem one day, then let it be ^^

The chances of getting a faulty wheel are very low. If you are not heavy, if you dont normally ride aggressively, the chances of developing problems is low also. Try to avoid excessive puddles, snow and heavy rain.

if you are heavy, if you ride a lot of miles, expose the wheel to water, drive aggressively most of the time, you will be increasing the chance of failure. I can tell you the types of issues ive had with kingsong but i would only be misleading you into thinking that it is typical to have problems.

at the end of the day everything breaks. All cars break when you drive enough mileage, so the same will happen to the wheel. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

A battery should last at least 2 years in normal conditions riding 5 days a week (260 cycles of charge/discharge max), with only slight loss of capacity (in general it looses 4% per year)

As for the rest, I suggest you not doing too much stunts,or bumps (like with any vehicle) and the things cloud wrote so that it will last long enough, I personnaly consider that 2 years is a good lifetime for this kind of product for an everyday use. If you use it only twice a week (depending on how much trip you do) it should last maybe twice...but you'll want to change in 2 years I think ^^

1 hour ago, Toma said:

Yes getting a black KS16.

I won't be using it everyday may be twice a week due to work. Hope this won't cause battery issues?

Batteries should be fine. Twice a week is a fair bit of use. However, To get the very best out of the batteries it is worth not leaving them fully charged or fully discharged for long periods of time so, if the rides you do haven't taken the battery below 40-50%, leave them and charge just before the next time you use it. Or get the really excellent Charge Doctor V2: http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/06/charge-doctor-v2-10a-3/ from @hobby16 on this forum. Not only will it help tell you how the batteries are, how much change they are taking, etc. but it can automatically turn the charger off when the current drops to a value you choose thus allowing you to not fully charge the batteries when you do not need to.

As well as this it will also allow two chargers to be connected in parallel to fast charge the pack when required. When you consider that an 840Wh pack is actually 60V at 14 Amp hours, even the 5 Amp charger, Jason McNeil supplies is going to take nearly 3 hours to charge the pack fully, I believe most other sellers supply a lower amp charger than that?

I would add, try using the batteries at least once a month as the chemicals inside it don't really appreciate resting for a long period of time, if you need to leave them for longer than a week, like keith said, it is best to leave them at about 40%, never leave them fully charged as it shortens the life expectancy of the batteries, and try avoiding using them below 10% and never below 5% as it might damage the cells permenantly.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Batteries should be fine. Twice a week is a fair bit of use. However, To get the very best out of the batteries it is worth not leaving them fully charged or fully discharged for long periods of time so, if the rides you do haven't taken the battery below 40-50%, leave them and charge just before the next time you use it. Or get the really excellent Charge Doctor V2: http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/06/charge-doctor-v2-10a-3/ from @hobby16 on this forum. Not only will it help tell you how the batteries are, how much change they are taking, etc. but it can automatically turn the charger off when the current drops to a value you choose thus allowing you to not fully charge the batteries when you do not need to.

As well as this it will also allow two chargers to be connected in parallel to fast charge the pack when required. When you consider that an 840Wh pack is actually 60V at 14 Amp hours, even the 5 Amp charger, Jason McNeil supplies is going to take nearly 3 hours to charge the pack fully, I believe most other sellers supply a lower amp charger than that?

This is one of my worries....taking care of the batteries!

I have ordered my EU from Jason so will be getting the fast charger unit with it. I've seen the charge doctor is it really easy to use and understand for someone that has no idea regarding batteries and looking after them?

I've had my KS14c 800w 840wh since Dec. No problems, I love it. No cut outs or overleans and I ride mine at the limits (beeping) most times. Also, lots of aggressive curb hops. The trolley handle is a little fragile, already broke one and got a replacement. But no issues whatsoever with the wheel itself.

1 hour ago, Toma said:

I have ordered my EU from Jason so will be getting the fast charger unit with it. I've seen the charge doctor is it really easy to use and understand for someone that has no idea regarding batteries and looking after them?

I use the charge doctor v2 with my 5a charger. Really easy to use once it's set up. To set it up, you just need to set the cutoff voltage. It's a one time procedure, not difficult. After that, you can just keep the CD connected to the charger and you just charge it like normal.

7 minutes ago, Toma said:

what do you have the cut off voltage set at?

is it just a case of imputing numbers, I've read it's best to have battery's at 80-90% charged.

you can set the Charge doctor to a amperage cut off...not a voltage cutoff...so you habe to experiment a little to get it to the right amp cut off, which is 1 amp standard, but could be set to what you want...

and...you are right...80-85 percent charge are the best for batterie life...

but you also are a little bit "overworried"....because with a massive batterie like example 680wh you can go about 300 charges at 100 percent before you loose anything.....

at all....even with charge doctor you should fully charge ...lets say every 5-10 times to 100percent...because you want the batteries balanced.....

dont think to much about it....the standard charges are quiet good for normal users ;-)

38 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

you can set the Charge doctor to a amperage cut off...not a voltage cutoff...so you habe to experiment a little to get it to the right amp cut off, which is 1 amp standard, but could be set to what you want...

Oops yea my mistake. It's an amperage cutoff. I've got mine set to 2.0 amps. You arrive at this number by charging your pack and logging the graph. If you have the same pack and charger as me (840wh battery + 5a charger), you can probably use the same settings as me. @hobby16 is a great seller and will help you find the right setting.

Here's my charge curve logged using the Charge Doctor.

Z2spdHl.png

Yes because when you go for example at 15km/h and you weight 70kg, you are going to pull 2A, with a 136Wh or a 840Wh, it'll be the same amount of discharge current, however you put the 840Wh to a discharge it can easily handle let's say 20% of it's max discharge current before damaging the elements (or the cut off), but with a 136Wh you're almost at 100%. By doing the same trip again a again, the 136Wh will loose it's capacity much quicker than the 840Wh.

Another advantage is that with the 840Wh you'll have a much longer range, so for the same trip you won't use much of the battery, so you'll have like 6 times less charges than with the 136Wh for the same distance :)

Will use the same settings as TwixFix as the charger and batteries are the same...Much appreciated thank you.

is it the Charge Doctor V2 - 10amp I need to purchase?

2 hours ago, Toma said:

Will use the same settings as TwixFix as the charger and batteries are the same...Much appreciated thank you.

is it the Charge Doctor V2 - 10amp I need to purchase?

Yes, the link I gave earlier will take straight to it. V1 handled a max of 3 Amps so not enough for your charger.

BTW Where abouts are you, I got the impression you are UK, not anywhere near me I suppose?

Archived