King Song Factory Visit Notes

Jason McNeil

Just returned from a meeting at the King Song factory today. There's a ton of new video to upload/post, but the Internet links here are pretty slow/bad, so will be uploading these a bit later... 

Here are some notes while the topics are still fresh to the mind:

• Launch of the King Song 16" has been a success, with over 1600 Wheels sold worldwide in just over a month 
  • Almost all Wheels sold are in the foreign/export markets. KS have recently hired a sales team in China, to increase the sales numbers within China 
  • The factory is moving to a larger space, in the same building as their BMS/Control-board manufacturing facility
  • QC production processes have been dramatically improved  
  • The black shell option now comes in either matte or gloss black. In a scratch test, it looks like the gloss black has a harder, more scratch resistant coating  

24 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:
  • The black shell option now comes in either matte or gloss black. In a scratch test, it looks like the gloss black has a harder, more scratch resistant coating  

Interesting.  I would have assumed the opposite.  Gloss probably looks better anyway don't you think?

16 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Both are pretty cool (will get those videos soon, promise). Another point is that fingerprints show up on the matte finish.

Why is everything opposite?  Most would think fingerprints show up on glossy more than matte.  Strange.  :P

I don't know what the coating or material is, but the feel has more friction than other shiny black plastic unicycles, so I assume it's some kind of rubber coating or shell... No white is showing, maybe inside - but not anywhere you can see

As for fingerprints I just tried cause I was a bit surprised about the statement about fingerprints leaving marks. On my KS16 (matte black) it does not leave fingerprints. Maybe I don't have greasy hands right now, but currently I can't make a fingerprint stick. Possible though that it will stick for awhile if you're sweaty, haven't tried

Is there a dude named "Song" working there? Maybe there's a Mr. Song, the big boss at the factory, the KING! :blink:

3 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

Do you have any gloss blacks waiting to ship?

A batch for UK/Europe (Minus Germany, Sweden, Norway & France, which have exclusive agreements) are expecting to arrive in the next 7 days. Ratio of black to white is 70% black gloss & 30% white.

On 13 июня 2016 г. at 9:17 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Just returned from a meeting at the King Song factory today. There's a ton of new video to upload/post, but the Internet links here are pretty slow/bad, so will be uploading these a bit later... 

Here are some notes while the topics are still fresh to the mind:

• Launch of the King Song 16" has been a success, with over 1600 Wheels sold worldwide in just over a month 
  • Almost all Wheels sold are in the foreign/export markets. KS have recently hired a sales team in China, to increase the sales numbers within China 
  • The factory is moving to a larger space, in the same building as their BMS/Control-board manufacturing facility
  • QC production processes have been dramatically improved  

Awesome progress. You sure know how to keep us on the edge of our seats!

yes, glossy would normally be more scratch resistant and easier to maintain.

Edit: scene commentary:
1) Tina's a bit Camera shy ;) 
2) Finished KS16 in the glossy black
3) Walk-though the first stage of the production line
4) KS 16 climb testing on a 25° incline
5) Demonstration of the matte black finish scratch resistant properties
6) Same as above but for the glossy black
7) Strength of the outer shell
8) Testing the functions of each KS16 control-board
9) Here the Wheels are tested by running them in a static position until the battery is drained, then recharged on these stations 
10) Walk-through the new factory space
11) PCB production space: BMS, control-boards, finishing stations
12) Applying the epoxy coating 
13) Returning from lunch to the factory with the (young) engineering team

Nice to see inside one of the big factories and kinda see and feel how much time and energy go into these cycles. Allot of us just ride around and never really think about it. Hey Jason hope you went riding somewhere too while your there.

5 hours ago, John Eucist said:

My thoughts exactly.  Unless, for some reason, certain parts are not to be covered.

Then they could make a template for control board to cover the parts they want and spray the rest

• 1 month later...

Archived