Pebble App and Data Logger for King Song [RELEASED]

JumpMaster

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

@andress

My KS16 send its metrics 10 times per second so it's pretty quick.  What wheel are you using?

Im using ks14c and in previous versions the speed updated quickly but once I installed the one with GUI it slowed down. In the KS app it updates quickly. Im using galaxy s6.

On 7/31/2016 at 8:58 PM, JumpMaster said:

I plan to put that on a settings menu although at the moment it's the only settings so it will be a very empty settings screen

You know, one thing that you could look into if you have the time / are willing to check is an easy, silent toggle for activating / deactivating the lights plus keeping the setting persistent between wheel restarts. That would be incredible!

Thank you for your app, it is a pure joy to use and actually better than the official one even now in "read only" mode. :)

EDIT: Some more ideas (should I create issues for these?):

- Log contains mostly duplicate entries: could you check when writing to the log whether the new entry duplicates the last inserted line? That would make graphing the data a whole lot easier... LibreOffice just crashes with a 10 min log.

- Since the app stores trip kilometers anyway, could it keep track of the total of all known trips? This would be nice for us who haven't upgraded the firmware for reasons where the total driven distance is wonky. It would be a nice feature to have at least a total for the app.

11 hours ago, xamino said:

keeping the setting persistent between wheel restarts

I doubt that would be possible without modifying the firmware as the wheel currently doesn't store that information and always reverts the light status to Auto :( 

That's awesome thanks.  It looks correct for a wheel that spinning while been held in the air.  I'm going to upload it to the Play store in beta.

If you use this link you can join the beta and get the latest release once I upload it.  It will update the current version you have.

Thanks for your help!

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.cooper.wheellog

11 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

That's awesome thanks.  It looks correct for a wheel that spinning while been held in the air.  I'm going to upload it to the Play store in beta.

If you use this link you can join the beta and get the latest release once I upload it.  It will update the current version you have.

Thanks for your help!

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.cooper.wheellog

@JumpMaster,

No problem, ;) thank you for your great work!

I am already your beta tester :D

Now i can use it with my gotway and pebble! 

So as you're nicely getting Gotway to work what about adding Inmotion as well? I'm sure few new happy owners here like @thefork, @Fahrtwind, @fearedbliss@houseofjob and few others would not mind to contribute with a bit of research in exchange for V5F (and hopefully later on as well V8) being supported by your fabulous app ;) 

17 minutes ago, HEC said:

So as you're nicely getting Gotway to work what about adding Inmotion as well? I'm sure few new happy owners here like @thefork, @Fahrtwind, @fearedbliss@houseofjob and few others would not mind to contribute with a bit of research in exchange for V5F (and hopefully later on as well V8) being supported by your fabulous app ;) 

I'm a programmer by trade, so theoretically I should be able to help. ^_^ It would be interesting, but I refuse to promise anything about results or such nonsense!

2 minutes ago, thefork said:

I'm a programmer by trade, so theoretically I should be able to help. ^_^ It would be interesting, but I refuse to promise anything about results or such nonsense!

I believe the main "help" would be in two stages (check the Gotway fork of the Pebble app) - 1st to capture the BT protocol by a separate app then 2nd to test next beta version to see if it talks to the wheel at all. But indeed if you'd be able to offer anything more on top of that I'm sure both @JumpMaster as well as other current and future V5F / V8 owners would appreciate that.

@Phuoc Huynh

It only works with the Pebble watch at the moment. I don't have any experience with Android Wear.  I might add it in the future but at the moment adding other wheels is the goal.

@vido

Yes it requires an Android phone and Pebble watch.  The Pebble watch talks to the Pebble app, the Pebble app talks to WheelLog. WheelLog talks to the wheel.

@thefork

No promises or commitment. Yep you sound like a professional programmer! :D The app isn't a fork of anyone elses work but the Bluetooth functionality is built on Google's example app and the decompiled apps from KingSong and Gotway so far. I'd like to think I've improved on their code a little, especially Gotways!

At the moment the only way I could think of detecting the wheel is by having a known list of Bluetooth services and characteristics for each manufacturer which I compare when the wheel connects. It's dirty but works so far.  The app below called KEVTEST will output services and characteristics to the screen.  If you can connect it to your Inmotion wheel we can check that it's unique as far as the services and characteristics go.  Then it's either a case of logging the data and deciphering it or decompiling the Inmotion app as a shortcut.  The inmotion app looks really good unlike the Gotway and KingSong apps. So apart from adding logging and Pebble support it isn't really going to bring much to the table.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qIN0Xd80hCa2tPN2cwZWRudTg/view?usp=sharing

5 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

@Phuoc Huynh

It only works with the Pebble watch at the moment. I don't have any experience with Android Wear.  I might add it in the future but at the moment adding other wheels is the goal.

@vido

Yes it requires an Android phone and Pebble watch.  The Pebble watch talks to the Pebble app, the Pebble app talks to WheelLog. WheelLog talks to the wheel.

@thefork

No promises or commitment. Yep you sound like a professional programmer! :D The app isn't a fork of anyone elses work but the Bluetooth functionality is built on Google's example app and the decompiled apps from KingSong and Gotway so far. I'd like to think I've improved on their code a little, especially Gotways!

At the moment the only way I could think of detecting the wheel is by having a known list of Bluetooth services and characteristics for each manufacturer which I compare when the wheel connects. It's dirty but works so far.  The app below called KEVTEST will output services and characteristics to the screen.  If you can connect it to your Inmotion wheel we can check that it's unique as far as the services and characteristics go.  Then it's either a case of logging the data and deciphering it or decompiling the Inmotion app as a shortcut.  The inmotion app looks really good unlike the Gotway and KingSong apps. So apart from adding logging and Pebble support it isn't really going to bring much to the table.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qIN0Xd80hCa2tPN2cwZWRudTg/view?usp=sharing

Nice! Can I debug the app without a Pebble? (Because I don't own own a smartwatch.)

@JumpMaster I've just grabbed the results from KEVTEST and my Solowheel Extreme which seems to communicate (though currently pending repair hence some data might be missing):

https://goo.gl/photos/chPS8gscU7kc3tJi6

EDIT: Anyone knows if it's possible to insert the pictures from Google Photos directly in the posts here instead of linking the albums only? I'm able to do that from elsewhere but so far failed from google ... TY

EDIT2: Test - can you see the images below?

IM8xCMH_VQVI7ocz-9Fo5LuRCAJjLkqLwwv7joZLymDdW2Ie_Pr5dXfdpldvpNY5-1l8-DgMIHFfm6aB

what is the requirements for Pebble and Android? I have a Pebble Classic and if the app would work on it I might consider buying a cheap android phone just to be able to use when riding on the wheel....

50 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

@flass

Anything with Bluetooth 4 should be fine. Bluetooth LE support started with Android 4.4 (KitKat) although I'd recommend 5.0+ (Lollipop).

Let me know what device you think of buying. I'm looking forward to the Pebble Core coming out in January.

I also pledged Pebble Core :D, if you are going to do some apps for it I want to have them all :P

I've just uploaded version 1.3.0 to the beta channel. If there are no issues I'll push it to production tomorrow evening.

After making the GUI I've added a custom notification so you no longer have to look at it!  Battery percent, temperature, and distance are displayed, along with the three buttons as per the app.  So you can connect to the wheel, start logging, or start the Pebble dashboard, straight from the lock-screen.  I've also incremented the ride time and distance until the app is closed.  So if the wheel is restarted half way through a ride, the ride time, distance, and top speed will no longer be reset.

Here are some screenshots of the notification bar on Android 4.4 and 7.0 on a Nexus 5 and 5X.  Both of these devices have a 1920 x 1080 resolution so I'm curious if the notification scales to smaller screens.  If you're able to provide a screenshot on a smaller device or just let me know it looks OK that would be great.

APwrrfXl.png YzDPRPll.png

9 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

@flass

Anything with Bluetooth 4 should be fine. Bluetooth LE support started with Android 4.4 (KitKat) although I'd recommend 5.0+ (Lollipop).

Let me know what device you think of buying. I'm looking forward to the Pebble Core coming out in January.

Since I would use it only for this purpose, it would be the cheapest that I can come across, that is not super crappy :) So perhaps Lenovo A1000 if I opt to go for some not too unknown brand, or maybe this if it seems to be good enough: http://www.dx.com/p/doogee-x5s-android-5-1-4g-phone-w-5-0-ips-1g-ram-8gb-rom-white-852428182#.V6y1d5OLRsM

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, JumpMaster said:

I tried showing speeds below 10 to one decimal point but wasn't a fan how it looks. I prefer it to show two digits consistently

What exactly you didn't like? Was it a decimal point or something else? Maybe try to make the second digit about 15 - 20% smaller while displaying speed values between 0.1 and 9.9 km/h?

Archived