How to downgrade your Ninebot / Xiaomi Nine 9 / Segway Mini / Mini Pro from 1.2.8 to 1.1.7 Firmware

I tried all the app versions and it didn't work. I was able to downgrade the two new Mini Pros I got today. They both had the 1.2.8 on them. I can now ride side by side with the 1.1.7 and the 1.3.1 and can tell you that the 1.1.7 is way better. It goes up hills full speed and doesn't rock you back nearly as bad as the 1.3.1 does. The 1.1.7 also is about a half MPH faster than the 1.3.1

The dilemma is, are those speed restrictions for rider safety, or to help preserve the motors and batteries?  Has their testing shown that the MiniPro can fail prematurely unless restricted a bit?  Impossible to tell, I guess.

I just found the way to download the IPA file of the 3.5.0 I don't know if I can uploaded where you recommend m

Sorry I just found out the IPA is linked to my itunes account, I can't share it but I can help you with the procedure to do it

Sino hablan ingles igual los puedo ayudar

Edited by pantoche

I received a new ninebot today.  It came with 1.2.8, I setup my own server connected no problem but when I try to install it runs until about 5% and then I get "The index is illegal".  I originally tried the upgrade with 3.5.1, and so I decided to downgrade to 3.5.0, but am getting the same message.

Any ideas?

Screenshot_20160715-231242.png

Just wanted to say after a few days I Was finally successful. No matter what I did my android phone (Nexus 6p) would not change the DNS. I used the dns changer app, did manually, restarted...it would just not work and I kept seeing the original server and not Alex's.

I then used my Mac along with my iPad. While getting the older file was a little rough (FOLLOW THE video tutorial for downloading old aps), the changing of the DNS was SUPER easy, just goto wifi settings, delete old one and hit save, worked first try unlike my android...

Anyways back to 1.17 and am excited to give it a try!

Moral of the story...android sucked for this purpose but the Mac worked perfectly. Thanks for the guide!

• Upvote 1

On July 12, 2016 at 11:16 AM, ATH said:

Alexander has updated the firmware naming on his server to 1.4.0. Has anybody on firmware 1.3.1 tried to use Alexander's DNS server for the upgrade?

If you are willing to try it, just follow these instructions (without having to setup your own DNS server):

• What firmware do you have on your Ninebot Mini?
  • What app version do you have on your iPhone?

1. Ninebot app has to be version 3.5.1 or lower. (Very important!)
    - IOS: Downgrade the iPhone Ninebot IOS app to version 3.5.1. It is quite easy, just follow these instructions:
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/25/how-to-download-older-versions-of-ios-apps/  
    (the app version string "817462211" is for version 3.5.1)
    - Android: Download an apk version 3.5.1 or lower from here:
  2. Only for information: You need a DNS server with a renamed 1.1.7 firmware (you don't have to do anything in this step - Alexander has done it for you)
    Use Alexanders DNS server:  It is already setup, and the 1.1.7 firmware is renamed to version 1.4.0 (updated on 2016-07-12).
    Check out the download on GitHub: https://github.com/alardus/ninebot/commit/8c1b53e05ad5a67eed4e0d22ca01cc1340e58ff6
    (The firmware version on the server has to be "named" higher than the installed firmware on your Ninebot Mini, to "trick" the Ninebot app to download it believing that it will "upgrade" your Ninebot Mini with a newer firmware.) If you want to set up your own DNS server follow these instructions for Windows.

3. Optional: Verify the content of Alexander's zip package, download it and compare the MD5-hash numbers (per file) with the original file hashes (http://onlinemd5.com/)
    * Mini_BLE_V1.0.4.bin - MD5: CEDD12BB1366B197CF784D025C98C79F,  SHA-256: 1C81D5E296AC0582839DA9954D429BDE4B39B0106F8DD505A4204EFFF26C3FD5
    * Mini_BMS_V1.1.3.bin - MD5: 70E6914C03EB52DAC2E601D622DCA2CB, SHA-256: 11193E366C346F4016C4DB25EA40640089ABB9FEF72B6941CAD9ED819A764B2A
    Mini_Driver_V1.4.0.bin - MD5: 449B4B21672A07867F54B1A54385B5E6 , SHA-256: 9D1EF9D7323E30BEF4950B4A2DDC1A26F0FA39987C14DBD59DF8095BDADFD092

4. Prepare your mobile device by
    iPhone:
    - Completely close the Ninebot App (kill the task)
    - In Settings/Cellular turn off Cellular Data to restrict all data transfer to WiFi (a safety measure)
    - Change the DNS Settings in IOS to Alexander's DNS server (or your own)
         * Open iPhone Settings, go to WiFi, click the "i" symbol next to your wifi
         * Write down the current DNS numbers (so you can set it back later)
         * Change DNS to: 107.170.15.247 (Alexander's DNS server)
    - Enable Flight Mode (this will wipe the DNS cache)
    - Disable Flight Mode
    Android:
    - Change the DNS Server on your Android Device
    - Please reboot your device

5. Open Safari on iPhone (any web browser on Android) to check that http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/version.json returns "CtrlVersionCode" "0140" (and a lot of other text and numbers). If this does not work, the Ninebot app will not be able to find the downgrade firmware (v1.1.7 renamed to 1.4.0).

6. Run Ninebot app on iPhone and connect it to your Ninebot Mini. It will find new firmware (1.4.0), and hopefully you should be able to start the downgrade!

Forums: 

PLEASE NOTE: I take no responsibility if the update fails, or if there is something wrong with the files on Alexander's server. YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK. Please visit and read the linked forums and messages.

Good luck! (I downgraded from v1.1.9 on 2016-07-08 with sucess)

Please report back if you suceed to downgrade from Ninebot Mini firmware 1.3.1 or higher.

Thank you ! This worked for me.

• Upvote 1

I have to imagine that Ninebot modified the firmware for reasons beyond what you and I see. I'm happy on 1.3.1, and have navigated very steep hills with no issues. I guess I've "learned" the nuances of the device. Given the failures on the Ninebot One (unit just shutting down when going all out speed!!), and the accidents there, I'm quite happy to have 1.3.1 on my unit, and - until proven otherwise, - trust Ninebot to know what they're doing. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WilliamG said:

I have to imagine that Ninebot modified the firmware for reasons beyond what you and I see. I'm happy on 1.3.1, and have navigated very steep hills with no issues. I guess I've "learned" the nuances of the device. Given the failures on the Ninebot One (unit just shutting down when going all out speed!!), and the accidents there, I'm quite happy to have 1.3.1 on my unit, and - until proven otherwise, - trust Ninebot to know what they're doing. 

well kind of.....The are changing the firmware for a reason.  With the NB One we've learned that NB tends to "chase the fix" with several attempts and updates....some of which failed dramatically!   They refuse to acknowledge any design flaws...instead try to correct known issues with the updates, sometimes several before issue fixed.   The lesson with NB is to proceed with caution.  As sad as it sounds, let others be the guinea pigs so to speak.

I also updated upon receiving my Nb MIni pro last friday to 1.3.1, but only after reading several users say it was great and improved on 1.2.8.   

I don't think there are any issues with 1.3.1 and am not sure why everyone is struggling to revert back.    Move forward, but with caution :)

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

well kind of.....The are changing the firmware for a reason.  With the NB One we've learned that NB tends to "chase the fix" with several attempts and updates....some of which failed dramatically!   They refuse to acknowledge any design flaws...instead try to correct known issues with the updates, sometimes several before issue fixed.   The lesson with NB is to proceed with caution.  As sad as it sounds, let others be the guinea pigs so to speak.

I also updated upon receiving my Nb MIni pro last friday to 1.3.1, but only after reading several users say it was great and improved on 1.2.8.   

I don't think there are any issues with 1.3.1 and am not sure why everyone is struggling to revert back.    Move forward, but with caution :)

Sure, and that makes sense. I've been very happy with 1.3.1, and haven't had the unit beep at me once when riding it safely. You tend to learn roughly at what point you're at close to max speed, and I've been quite happy maintaining that speed. I love this thing. LOVE. IT. Just need to get rid of the squeak in the control bar with some lubrication of some sort, and I'll be in heaven. :D

I was able to downgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.1.7 via all the great information found in this thread.  I was unable to get the Windows PC Web Server method to work, but the DNS method directly from my Android Samsung S6 did the trick.  I want to thank everyone here.

One question is, even though the version on the app says "1.1.7", I'm still getting the speed limiting lean back and beeping at 10mph/16kph.  I've noted that many users say the max is around 18kph.  I don't have speed control on, and the app shows I've gone 10+ kilometers, and I rode it over a kilometer just now to see if anything would change.  I'm using the app version 3.5.0

Thoughts?

Also, the Netguard app on Android makes it so the "Firmware Update" pop up goes away, just follow the apps instructions.

Edited by frontman

One thing you could try us to reset the device. Since it has some learning algorithms it could be worthwhile to start fresh. I don't think you'll lose your activation by doing a reset. (Search/Google it and you'll find out).

2 hours ago, frontman said:

I was able to downgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.1.7 via all the great information found in this thread.  I was unable to get the Windows PC Web Server method to work, but the DNS method directly from my Android Samsung S6 did the trick.  I want to thank everyone here.

One question is, even though the version on the app says "1.1.7", I'm still getting the speed limiting lean back and beeping at 10mph/16kph.  I've noted that many users say the max is around 18kph.  I don't have speed control on, and the app shows I've gone 10+ kilometers, and I rode it over a kilometer just now to see if anything would change.  I'm using the app version 3.5.0

Thoughts?

Also, the Netguard app on Android makes it so the "Firmware Update" pop up goes away, just follow the apps instructions.

I confirm ATH: restore factory setting after downgrade or upgrade, dont loose anything..

well, now you have to make many mileage (around 50km) for get a higher speedit's progressive

don't forget restore your previous dns on your samsung device

3 hours ago, Jojo33A said:

i m not sure, but the progresive learn/mileage before worked on the pro too

Would be interesting to know if 1.3.1 has that reward. I never saw it even mentioned in the manual or anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

Would be interesting to know if 1.3.1 has that reward. I never saw it even mentioned in the manual or anywhere else. 

no it wasnt mentionned into pro manual, is not about a reward message like we get before (xiaomi modele : after 50km mileage we get a message congratulation now your speed is up to 18km/h)

ll.PNG

4 hours ago, Jojo33A said:

no it wasnt mentionned into pro manual, is not about a reward message like we get before (xiaomi modele : after 50km mileage we get a message congratulation now your speed is up to 18km/h)

ll.PNG

So does 1.3.1 let you go 18km/h after 50km or not?

Omg omg thank you mate. I was finally able to downgrade to 1.1.7 firmware and happy as a mule, bye bye noisy alarm.

I want to thank you dennis, alexander,nineboltwalt,jojo3,ath and other forums members that made it possible.

IMG-20160721-WA021.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi All, thank you for being here. I have followed Alexander's method. I am using v 3.5.0 of the app, dns appears to be working as the URL for CtrlVersionCode is replying correctly. When I launch the app, it connects to my mini and then I click 'Check for firmware updates' then I briefly get a message 'Begin to update controller's firmware (1.3.1->1.4.0) and "0%" then it kicks to this error message "Update of firmware of master control fails,please try again!"

Should I just keep retrying? It errors out very quickly.

thanks all for your help!

19 hours ago, Jojo33A said:

other screenshot

l.PNG

Thank you. I've been very happy with 1.3.1. No issues, no beeping, - and as long as you're not being dangerous there's no issue with the leaning back. Good firmware!

@bluto:

You can only downgrade to 1.1.7, if you are not already on 1.3.1.

So, it works, if you are on < 1.2.8!

Nobody knows exactly the reason, why this is not working from 1.3.1 down to 1.1.7

I'm not 100% sure, but it might have to do something with the entries in the version.json file, which should also be on the fake-update server.

Maybe Alexander should check this:

{"NormalVersion":
    {
        "CtrlVersionCode":["0140","48152"],
        "BleVersionCode":["0104","25164"],
        "BmsVersionCode":["0113","13359"]
    },
"TestVersion":
    {
        "CtrlVersionCode":["0130","50500"],  <<<<<<< maybe mistake here? Shouldn't it be: "CtrlVersionCode":["0140","50500"],?
        "BleVersionCode":["0104","25164"],
        "BmsVersionCode":["0113","13359"]
    },
"TestDevice":
    [{"serial":"N3MEA1501A0002","id":"0","name":"haley"},
     {"serial":"11961/10037019","id":"0","name":"haley"},
     {"serial":"N3MPG1616T0582","id":"0","name":"haley"},
     {"serial":"11960/10116427","id":"0","name":"haley"}]
}

.... anyway - still wondering, why downgrade works with this "version.json" from 2.2.2 / 2.2.7 / 2.2.8 but not from 1.3.1!

Edited by Ninebotwalt