How to downgrade your Ninebot / Xiaomi Nine 9 / Segway Mini / Mini Pro from 1.2.8 to 1.1.7 Firmware

First of all, let me thank Denniss and everybody involved, for the great tutorial, how to downgrade!

I'm very glad, that I found this forum!

I, for myself, I'm a "long-time" Mac User, and of course iPhone user.

I did the downgrade on my Mini all on Mac and iPhone.

Fortunately, I have an own HD with all "old" App Versions backed-up. So it was not a big deal, to put the old Ninebot 3.5.1 App back on my iTunes.

For all the other, try this: If you have a TimeMachine Backup for your Mac (and therefore for your iTunes) go back about 2 - 3 month, and restore the App, which used to be in:

Your User/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/  (or simular path....) - This would be one opertunity to get the old App!

The second opertunity is: DL the old App! Google this: "how to download old apps on iphone" - There are chances to do that!

And the next question (to Denniss): Is the same prcedure possible for the Ninebot ONE E+ ???

Do you know, where to get the Original 1.3.5 Firmware from?

A friend of mine called me today, and told me, he updated his ONE E+ to 1.4.0.

And he noticed imediately, that the NB1 runs MUCH slower than before! - So this is a warning word to everybody with a Ninebot One E+!

Do not upgrade 1.3.5 > 1.4.0  (unless you want to ride slower!)

Have a nice evening,

Walt

Edited by Ninebotwalt
  • Upvote 1

1. I have managed to downgrade my Ninebot IOS app to version 3.5.1 on my iPhone :-)   It is quite easy, just follow these instructions: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/25/how-to-download-older-versions-of-ios-apps/  
(the app version string I used was the third from the bottom of numbers: "817462211" for version 3.5.1)

2. It seems that the firmware 1.1.7 is gone from the Ninebot server. I cannot donwload it since the webpage is not found, either because the file is removed or it has been renamed.  Can anyone please share the 1.1.7 firmware file somehow... or share a new link.

3. Ninebotwalt, what DNS server did you use on your Mac? The  Posadis is an "exe" for WIndows. Any tips on how you went about to do it on your mac? And did you have to diasble any services?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ATH said:

2. It seems that the firmware 1.1.7 is gone from the Ninebot server. I cannot donwload it since the webpage is not found, either because the file is removed or it has been renamed.  Can anyone please share the 1.1.7 firmware file somehow... or share a ne

You don't need it from there.

Alexander has it behind his DNS server, so if you use the way described above via Alexanders server, you still can downgrade.

• Upvote 1

I have the firmware now, it was sent to me by another member.

I downloaded the zip-file from Alexanders server, but the MD5 hash was different than that of the original Ninebot file. It is probably due to that the files in the zip-file have been renamed to 1.3.0, but why take chances if I go through all the hassle of setting up my own server ;-)

If I don't manage to set it up on my mac, I will have to use Alexander's server for the update.

2 hours ago, Xelvic said:

I did it the Alexanader way. When I check for new firmware it says I have the latest firmware. I have the 1.3.1 right now but wanted to try the 1.1.7 to see if there was a difference. Any help?

Try to contact Alexander to make him rename the zip package and the 1.1.7 firmware (1.3.0)  to a higher version. Then it should work.

20 minutes ago, ATH said:

Try to contact Alexander to make him rename the zip package and the 1.1.7 firmware (1.3.0)  to a higher version. Then it should work.

I've searched his name but it shows there are three of him. Which one is he, or can you give me a link where he is posting so I can just click on his profile and message him?

@ATH:

I used also Alexander's DNS  (107.170.15.247, 107.170.15.247) .... put that on my iPhone (WLAN Router), toggled Airmode a few times, restart until Safari shows me the "CtrlVersionCode" "0130" - Then you know, that the DNS redirection works!

Put in Safari this URL http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/version.json

I downgraded from 1.2.8 to 1.1.7 last week. Not to compare!!!! The Mini runs mutch faster, and with no beeping!

I didn not try the new 1.3.1

But next week, I will get some new minis to resell. I think, the customers will update to the latest.

Then I can check, if the Downgrade still work or not.

I can imagine, that Downgrade to 1.1.7 actually the "renamed" 1.3.0 would be more difficult, if you are on 1.3.1 (real 1.3.1) - So I guess this will not be shown as an "update".

As Denniss mentioned before: It' always better, to make your own DNS server. then you can rename the 1.1.7 Firmware in whatever you want. - same procedure...

There are a few Applications to make DNS Server on Mac OSX. But I didn't try them yet.

If I will have a little time, I'll checkt that Software, and if I find one, I can reccomend, I'll let you Mac Guys know!

In the meantime, I'm still looking for the Ninebot ONE 1.3.5 Orginal Fimrware!  (Anyone?)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Vadim Litvinenko said:

Can upgrade from 1.1.7 to 1.2.8 throught this method (own server)?

Sure, that's possible - even if it makes absolutely no sense:  1.2.8 is much worse than 1.1.7! Rather go to 1.3.1 (current)

But to your question:

You need to setup your own DNS Server with the 1.2.8 Firmware, which you still can DL (by now) here:

http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/v1.2.8/Mini_Driver_V1.2.8.zip

Then make sure, you use the App Version that fits perfectly to this old firmware, which is obviously App Version 3.6.1 or 3.6.0.

Don't use the current App Version 3.6.2 - this might brick your Mini! Be aware!

Hi Denniss,

I'm just trying to downgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.1.7.

I renamed the files to 1.5.1 where necessary, and all the server stuff is setup correctly.

The app also detects the 1.5.1 firmware, but upload terminates with an error.

I assume this is because of the version.json file, which I changed to:

{"NormalVersion":
    {
        "CtrlVersionCode":["0151","48152"],
        "BleVersionCode":["0104","25164"],
        "BmsVersionCode":["0113","13359"]
    },

What are the numbers after the comma, is that some hashcode, which I also need to change ?

Thanks, HtG

58 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Hi Denniss,

I'm just trying to downgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.1.7.

I renamed the files to 1.5.1 where necessary, and all the server stuff is setup correctly.

The app also detects the 1.5.1 firmware, but upload terminates with an error.

I assume this is because of the version.json file, which I changed to:

{"NormalVersion":
    {
        "CtrlVersionCode":["0151","48152"],
        "BleVersionCode":["0104","25164"],
        "BmsVersionCode":["0113","13359"]
    },

What are the numbers after the comma, is that some hashcode, which I also need to change ?

Thanks, HtG

ok, I just discovered that this is only the size.

So it looks like they applied some change in the firmware 1.3.1 directly, so that it cannot be downgraded again.

Looks like I'm stuck with 1.3.1.

For me that was it, I'll put it on ebay, and check me a good unicycle, but definitely not from Ninebot.

Alexander has updated the firmware naming on his server to 1.4.0. Has anybody on firmware 1.3.1 tried to use Alexander's DNS server for the upgrade?

If you are willing to try it, just follow these instructions (without having to setup your own DNS server):

• What firmware do you have on your Ninebot Mini?
  • What app version do you have on your iPhone?

1. Ninebot app has to be version 3.5.1 or lower. (Very important!)
    - IOS: Downgrade the iPhone Ninebot IOS app to version 3.5.1. It is quite easy, just follow these instructions:
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/25/how-to-download-older-versions-of-ios-apps/  
    (the app version string "817462211" is for version 3.5.1)
    - Android: Download an apk version 3.5.1 or lower from here:
  2. Only for information: You need a DNS server with a renamed 1.1.7 firmware (you don't have to do anything in this step - Alexander has done it for you)
    Use Alexanders DNS server:  It is already setup, and the 1.1.7 firmware is renamed to version 1.4.0 (updated on 2016-07-12).
    Check out the download on GitHub: https://github.com/alardus/ninebot/commit/8c1b53e05ad5a67eed4e0d22ca01cc1340e58ff6
    (The firmware version on the server has to be "named" higher than the installed firmware on your Ninebot Mini, to "trick" the Ninebot app to download it believing that it will "upgrade" your Ninebot Mini with a newer firmware.) If you want to set up your own DNS server follow these instructions for Windows.

3. Optional: Verify the content of Alexander's zip package, download it and compare the MD5-hash numbers (per file) with the original file hashes (http://onlinemd5.com/)
    * Mini_BLE_V1.0.4.bin - MD5: CEDD12BB1366B197CF784D025C98C79F,  SHA-256: 1C81D5E296AC0582839DA9954D429BDE4B39B0106F8DD505A4204EFFF26C3FD5
    * Mini_BMS_V1.1.3.bin - MD5: 70E6914C03EB52DAC2E601D622DCA2CB, SHA-256: 11193E366C346F4016C4DB25EA40640089ABB9FEF72B6941CAD9ED819A764B2A
    Mini_Driver_V1.4.0.bin - MD5: 449B4B21672A07867F54B1A54385B5E6 , SHA-256: 9D1EF9D7323E30BEF4950B4A2DDC1A26F0FA39987C14DBD59DF8095BDADFD092

4. Prepare your mobile device by
    iPhone:
    - Completely close the Ninebot App (kill the task)
    - In Settings/Cellular turn off Cellular Data to restrict all data transfer to WiFi (a safety measure)
    - Change the DNS Settings in IOS to Alexander's DNS server (or your own)
         * Open iPhone Settings, go to WiFi, click the "i" symbol next to your wifi
         * Write down the current DNS numbers (so you can set it back later)
         * Change DNS to: 107.170.15.247 (Alexander's DNS server)
    - Enable Flight Mode (this will wipe the DNS cache)
    - Disable Flight Mode
    Android:
    - Change the DNS Server on your Android Device
    - Please reboot your device

5. Open Safari on iPhone (any web browser on Android) to check that http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/version.json returns "CtrlVersionCode" "0140" (and a lot of other text and numbers). If this does not work, the Ninebot app will not be able to find the downgrade firmware (v1.1.7 renamed to 1.4.0).

6. Run Ninebot app on iPhone and connect it to your Ninebot Mini. It will find new firmware (1.4.0), and hopefully you should be able to start the downgrade!

Forums: 

PLEASE NOTE: I take no responsibility if the update fails, or if there is something wrong with the files on Alexander's server. YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK. Please visit and read the linked forums and messages.

Good luck! (I downgraded from v1.1.9 on 2016-07-08 with sucess)

Please report back if you suceed to downgrade from Ninebot Mini firmware 1.3.1 or higher.

1 hour ago, Xelvic said:

I tried it. It says unknown error. I'm going from 1.3.1 to 1.1.7 and it wont work. The app sees the 1.4.0 and downloads 2 percent and then stops.

Hello

Please you must use an app version v3.5.1 or previous

Edited by jojo33
  • Upvote 1

As mentioned, this does no longer work, if you have 1.3.1 on your Mini (I'm using App 3.5.1).

I tried it with Denniss method first, and now with Alexanders DNS, it always says unknown error 9 after the bar in the app reaches 2% (BTW, Denniss method also worked fine, I changed the 117 fw file to 1.5.1, but still same problem).

It happens exactly what Xelvic describes above, regardless which of both methods you use.

I'm sure, they have something put in 1.3.1, which doesn't allow a downgrade any more, only upgrades.

I just updated it yesterday and im so so so Fu**ing regret! I had tried the alexander dns,it failed, as HermanTheGerman said, they block the downgrade.
Anyone can come up with new way to downgrade plzzzz

4 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

As mentioned, this does no longer work, if you have 1.3.1 on your Mini (I'm using App 3.5.1).

I tried it with Denniss method first, and now with Alexanders DNS, it always says unknown error 9 after the bar in the app reaches 2% (BTW, Denniss method also worked fine, I changed the 117 fw file to 1.5.1, but still same problem).

It happens exactly what Xelvic describes above, regardless which of both methods you use.

I'm sure, they have something put in 1.3.1, which doesn't allow a downgrade any more, only upgrades.

Update News:

Today I received the new Ninebot Mini Pro 320!

It came with Firmware 1.2.2 on it.

I tried to downgrade to 1.1.7 imediately.

First attempt failed!

Second try - the same (Alexander's) Server, same DNS, etc... success!

Here is what I did:

Donwgraded the App Version on my iPhone to Ninedroid 3.5.0 (yes, 3.5.0 not 3.5.1)

Changed the DNS from my WLAN (Router) to: 107.170.15.247, 107.170.15.247

Toggled Air Mode a few times. Opened Safari, and checked the site: http://apptest.ninebot.cn/appversion/appdownload/NinebotMini/version.json

It returned me this:

{"NormalVersion": { "CtrlVersionCode":["0140","48152"], "BleVersionCode":["0104","25164"], "BmsVersionCode":["0113","13359"] }, "TestVersion": { "CtrlVersionCode":["0130","50500"], "BleVersionCode":["0104","25164"], "BmsVersionCode":["0113","13359"] }, "TestDevice": [{"serial":"N3MEA1501A0002","id":"0","name":"haley"}, {"serial":"11961/10037019","id":"0","name":"haley"}, {"serial":"N3MPG1616T0582","id":"0","name":"haley"}, {"serial":"11960/10116427","id":"0","name":"haley"}] }

(BTW: the serial from this response has nothing to do with the SN from my Ninebot!)

Back to the 3.5.0 Ninedroid App:

Even, if the Device was not activated, I could login with my Ninebot Account and connect to the Mini. I didn't want to activate, because this isn't mine!

Firmware update 1.4.0 was detected (1.4.0 = 1.1.7 just renamed) and started the update!

First attempt it failed at 2%. Then I thought.... shit!

Tried again without closing the App. Right from that point on.... and .... tadaaa...  Update succeded!

Checked the Firmware, and it says now: 1.1.7

Today is July, 13th. - Thanks to Alexander's Server!

Edited by Ninebotwalt
  • Upvote 1

I just bought two more Mini Pro's yesterday during Amazon's Prime Day. They were on sale for 699.99 which is 300.00 less than what I originally paid. So I will have a total of three. Hopefully the two that are coming in will have something other than the latest firmware so I can downgrade to the 1.7.1 version.

i just tried with an appversion 3.3.1 and 3.5.0 on my iphone so it dont work with the DNS Server. It showed me the 1.4.0 but then when i start to download.

Error: Update of firmware of master control fails, please try again.

What should i do??

If you did the steps right, sometimes the Alexander update from his server will fail with a 'timeout' message or something like that.  Keep trying with the app open and eventually it will get all the way to 100% and update.  I had to try about 10 times before it would go all the way to 100%.

After it updates successfully, I went into General Settings and ensured that the firmware was indeed 1.1.7 and it is! :)

I'll be sticking to 1.1.7 until further notice.

• Upvote 1

Well, funny to watch this...

Vinny Varsalona Can you confirm, that you were on the current 1.3.1 Firmware, before you had successfully downgraded to 1.1.7?

By now, people say, that Downgrade is only possible, if you are <= 1.2.8

I had sucess downgrading 3 Mini's from 1.2.8 and from 1.2.2. But I don't wanna try from 1.3.1, as I don't have a Mini Pro on this Firmware yet to test.

@ Xelvic You still didn't mention, on which App Version you were trying to do the Downgrade.... ?