Evening ride out to pub.

Gimlet

20150619_175901.thumb.jpg.ee3757b9206031I went for a nice ride with two of my sons and their friend this evening.

It all went well until Edward, my eldest, closest in the picture, who has only just learnt to ride and was on his first significant outing stepped off and dropped the wheel when trying to go up a dropped kerb. Unfortunately despite it being a very low speed drop, the wheel fell on it's side and only slid about a foot, it then stopped beeping and turned itself off and wouldn't re-start.

I carried the dead wheel the last half mile to the pub then Peter my youngest son rode back down the hill with the wheel his friend had ridden so that Edward could ride up the hill.

Over a pint we discussed how we were going to travel the mile back to my house and Peter decided he would try a piggy back with his friend.

20150619_190459.thumb.jpg.32a9a71ffd673f

Anyway I was relagated the M10 and carried the dead MCMV2S in one hand and my phone in the other to take some pictures. Unfortunately whilst trying to catch up with them on a potholed road I came a cropper, probably my worst fall so far, my pride was really badly hurt as it was in front of two passers by. I did pick up a bruise or two and the road made a superficial mess of my arm but nothing serious.

20150619_215602.thumb.jpg.7a9f51ff0c0296

Any way we got home ok and Peter decide he needed practice mounting and dismounting the wheel 2up.

Looks like I'll be busy stripping down the MCMV2S tomorrow, hope its ony a loose wire  and not the board.

Don't be silly. Too hot for protective gear, a little graze on my arm when I had bare arms wearing a tee shirt is nothing and one pint of beer isn't enough to get drunk.  :)

Turned out to be a control board failure, so not my son's inexperience but his 95Kg+ and the long hill combined with the added stress of the kerb causing one or two of the mosfets to burn out.

See the dark burn mark on the bottom left of the picture between the first and second mosfet.

20150620_104140.thumb.jpg.0f51c6ac29fb44

Shoulder a little bruised and elbow a little grazed but the biggest injury was to my ego to be honest. :)

That's what happens when you try catching up with the M18 wheel, even one being riden two up, when riding the M10 on a rough potholed road with a heavy 680Wh MCMV2S in one hand and a camera phone in the other. I was doing about 18kph when I came off and because my hands were both full I was unable to pump my arms to get my legs up to speed and run it off. :) 

hmmm

does the MCM and the MSuper not have the same board and does the MCM not have the warning and tilt back function have too?

You have to 14 inch 680wh version, so does the warning for this overheating not work as it should?

How ever, this is absolutly not good at all and not your fault.

I am pretty sure the current at the GW18 and it board with two person was higher then at the 14 inch with you and the broken wheel.

Also the difference from 680wh to 850wh is not that high and the max speed of booth almost the same.

The boards are different and not intrchangable. 

The MCM gave out under my son and I was carrying it on the M10 which whilst being great and surprisingly fast does not handle bumps and rough ground well.

Archived