newbie...Kingsong KS16 840wh or ninebot one s2

Toma

This is my first post so a very big hello to you all...

trying to pick a EU has been a bit of a headache there is so many about with different specs etc but i have narrowed it down to 2 either Kingsong KS16 840wh or a ninebot one S2.

Would really appreciate any comments that would help me make a decision, i was leaning towards the ninebot but then read about the shut off people have been getting plus i dont think the 14" wheel would help as id be using it in woods. really like the miles the kingsong can do..Hmmmmmmmm

any one had any issues with their Kingsong etc?

many thanks for any info you give.

Down the road you're probably gonna want something faster and a bigger battery. Save some money and go for the ks16. Granted, I am upgrading from a ninebot E+ to an ks16. Only con I see from the ks16 is the weight. 

2 hours ago, Toma said:

Think your right! at least it has the handle so you can push it along. nearly ready to put my order in. 

You said youd be using it in the woods? What kind if terrain? Hiw much do you weight if i may ask?

@Toma It all depends on how you wanna ride.

With the S2, or any 14" EUC for that matter, you'll want to either avoid the bumpiest passages or jump over them, simply due to the physics of a smaller wheel.

Also keep in mind that, for some reason, Ninebot has decided not to cutout the lower, under-pedal portion of the white circular body shell (most likely for design reasons; not very practical though), like the KS-16 has done, so rocks are potentially somewhat able to get stuck between the shell & the wheel.

Additionally, the S2's 500W nominal / sub 3,000W max motor is noticeably less powerful than the 800W nominal / 3,000W max motor of the KS16. This will be most evident when you're try to navigate up out of steeper obstacles, or roll out from idle out of a really rough patch.

The S2's lack of a front light is also significant when traveling at night, where vision is obscured (after market solutions being necessary). The KS-16, like all KingSong wheels, at least comes with a built-in light.

As for firmware, Ninebot / KingSong / brand-regardless, a good rule of thumb is to be stubbornly resistant and super slow to upgrade (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!). Disable any kind of automatic notifications from your app as well.

All the faceplant stories have been from riders who blindly / accidentally upgraded to new firmware without checking the forums first (all user initiated). This is no different from the woes of recent iPhone iOS upgrades, but unfortunately, these upgrades concern rider safety. I have yet to hear of rider firmware-based issues straight out of the box. 

27 minutes ago, Toma said:

I took the plunge and bought the black KS16 with the 840wh battery...hope i'm going to be a happy boy.

Yay! Good choice! Try black and you will never get back :) 

really looking forward to getting it, its on back orde so should get it in a couple of weeks, ive downloaded the app but will keep away from the firmware update until it has the all clear from here.:D

1 minute ago, Toma said:

really looking forward to getting it, its on back orde so should get it in a couple of weeks, ive downloaded the app but will keep away from the firmware update until it has the all clear from here.:D

You will not be disappointed :) i might go for. Ks16 myself. 

This is the first stand up EU ive had, i had a SBU V3 a while back but had nothing but trouble with the battery so had to return it. Hope it doesnt take me long to master it thinking of some big parks to ride it around lucky enough to have a small woods across the road from me with flat paths but wont take me long to go around it on this beast!

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

You will not be disappointed :) i might go for. Ks16 myself. 

Right. Go for it. Biggest, the best, better than the rest :)

one point for the S2 would be if you travel a lot via plane. if you find an airline who hasn't banned them alltogether, the small S2 battery would qualify, with a 2nd or 3rd pack it could be a nice travel wheel.

but otherwise ... ks16 or gotway 

Wont be taking this on an airline.. its going to be stuck with me in the uk. i usually go wales on holiday so will see how it does there, got some nice forests to take it around on.

Archived