It appears I have resolved the Kingsong 14" Overheating issue

Cloud

2 hours ago, who_the said:

@Cloud Great mod. Can we drill right through the top or do we need to remove the case first to prevent damaging anything inside?

Yes definitely remove the side cover so you can drill thru it. Its only 6 screws on the perimeter. you dont need to take the casing apart. The whole thing will only take a few minutes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done and done! WheelLog says temps have dropped, and you can definitely feel the heat rising and escaping through the vent holes. Seems like a raised or sliding cover could be fabbed up to keep out water while still letting heat escape. Until such time I will pack an extra SFBay.ca sticker I can slap on in case it rains. :) #AllBayAllDay

ks14c-ventilated.jpg

14 minutes ago, who_the said:

Done and done! WheelLog says temps have dropped, and you can definitely feel the heat rising and escaping through the vent holes. Seems like a raised or sliding cover could be fabbed up to keep out water while still letting heat escape. Until such time I will pack an extra SFBay.ca sticker I can slap on in case it rains. :) #AllBayAllDay

ks14c-ventilated.jpg

Yay!! Nice!!! I am happy it helped!!!

I wonder if you could fit some small, short tubes into the holes and attach little inverted V metal or plastic cover pieces to those.  That way they would be like three little roof vents and rain wouldn't be able to get inside easily.  Or you could just velcro a piece of plastic over it and have a parking spot next to the holes to stick the cover on sunny days so it's always handy.  Quick and dirty wins the race.

Or maybe if these battery vent caps could be modified to let more air in and out they might work.

http://www.flowsystemsusa.com/battery-caps.html

This is why you need a 3D printer to make your own mini-vent covers...

These are good ideas @HunkaHunkaBurningLove

What i would do is make a little  rectangular "curb" around the area with the holes, say 1/8 of an inch. I coukd make it by simply placing a few layers of double adhesive foam. Then place your velcro on top of the foam. This way the rain drops falling on the top of casing will never roll to and into the holes because there is a barrier "curb". Then you can place anything on top of same rectangular size, any kind of cover with the reciprocal velcro part attached.velcro doesnt have to go along the entire perimeter, maybe just a few small spots, al long as the plate overlaps the curb

3 hours ago, who_the said:

I wonder if something like this Gore-Tex kit could be used to cover the holes. Would it be breathable enough?

@Vik's I suppose it might, Gore-Tex is famously breathable yet waterproof fabric. It may also be optimal to drill (and cover) another hole or two along the side of the cover near the bottom, to allow cool air to enter from the bottom and hot air to exit through the top, though space inside seems to be tighter near the bottom.

8 minutes ago, who_the said:

It may also be optimal to drill (and cover) another hole or two along the side of the cover near the bottom, to allow cool air to enter from the bottom and hot air to exit through the top.

Would that work while moving though? With the air pressure being reduced outside the wheel and sucking out the hot air inside, would air flow in our out of the bottom holes?

In theory, cool air would enter the bottom holes and hot air could emerge from the top holes. Kind of a passive "cool tower," where the rising properties of hot air could create temperature-induced ventilation. This principle is at work here, even without any holes at the bottom.

Yes, I understand that. And I agree it would work when you're stopped. 

But when moving, wouldn't the reduced air pressure outside of the wheel prevent cool air from flowing into the lower holes? 

Absolutely, I agree.

Turbidity might allow some cool air to enter, though it's certainly not as optimized as thoughtfully-designed air inlets and exits that passively help cool the internal electronics. Drilling a few holes here and there has appeared to help, and I'm thankful!

Archived