Newbie in need of some help and advice

Need help

Hello, I am so excited about these! I have never seen one in my life b4 a few days abo I spent the next 9hrs researching these and I want one! I live in up state NY near the capital which is Albany I have no Idea where I can find a place where I could go physically buy one of these I Tryed googling shops or rental in NYC because I have to go there this weekend and I found nothing but dead ends. I also have a small 2 day vacation to niagra falls Canada but have yet to find anything except that they might have them at best buys in Canada. I almost bought one from altybaba.com but it concerned me how cheap it was and the method of payment that they wanted money order or western union didn't seem legit! 

Where are some dealers in the U.S.? Or even near the Canadian border? 

Can I rent one anywhere in the northeast u.s.? 

Im about 230 lbs so I probably need a decently powerful one way would b suggested? Seems like the rock wheel is the strongest and fastest from wat I have read and watched on YouTube is that true? 

Would you suggest buying a cheapo to learn on? Would it run ok w me on it even tho I'm 230lbs? Can anyone hook me up with any legit dealers of either cheaper ones that r still ok to learn ok or rock wheel, or gotway?

Well that makes me feel better, where did u buy ur cheapo and how much was it and wat brland? I'm nervouse about scams or getting a less then usable product. About 10 years ago when I graduated high school I bout a go-ped and it came to me worked and then the internal part that turns the Moter to start it broke and turns out it was made of plastic instead of metal also all the welds were very unprofessional and the wiring for the lights was screwed up so I'm very reluctant to buy from a company without some kind of review

Luckily unicycles are very simple, they have the wheel/hub motor assembly, the control board and the battery pack or packs on lager wheels.

It's a relatively new format and things do go wrong, but generally the fix is fairly simple but if you can't or are unwilling to pull it apart to sort out any minor problems then find a local reputable supplier because return postage to China is very expensive.

There are plenty of reviews on here already for you to peruse but generally smaller sized wheels are easier to ride at slower speeds and are more manoeuvrable, larger wheels ride over the bumps and dips more smoothly and are more stable at speed.

I am a newbie also and I'm sure that alot of others can give better advice than I can but I will tell you my experience.  First off I am 6' and 215lbs.  Almost any wheel will handle my weight as long as I don't try to climb Mount Everest!  Scooting along on bike paths/sidewalks will handle your weight just fine.  You need to figure out whether you want a 2 wheel like a Airwheel Q3 or one of the various true unicycles with a single wheel.  I have both.  I was intrigued like you.  I saw my first one on Youtube a few months ago and knew I had to have one!  The first one I bought was cheap in case I could not ride it.  I am not the most coordinated person around.  I bought a Yoobao ecycle for a good price on ebay and it took me a week before I could ride it.  Expect bruised and sore shins and ankles.  It comes with the territory.  I ended up ordering a Airwheel Q3 on ebay also because I felt that might be the best wheel for me.  It is fun and more stable to learn on but in my honest opinion you can not beat a single wheel for riding once you become acclimated to it.  The advantages of a single wheel is much better maneuverability with turning and when you are on rougher terrain.  Side slopes do not become a problem with a single wheel.  A dual wheel version is affected by these conditions due to the nature of having more than one wheel wanting to make contact with the ground.  It is possible to ride it in these conditions but it just takes more effort to keep in on track.  However if your riding is mostly on sidewalks or paths then a dual wheel can be a great choice!  I still will ride my Q3 but I prefer the Ninebot One I now own for most excursions!  Also an issue you might pay attention to is weight.  I found my lighter Yoobao handles offroad conditions better than my Ninebot One which is around 4 kilos or 8.8 pounds heavier.  Lightness is an issue when carrying it through a store.  The downside is you will not get the range you might necessarily need.  My Ninebot One does ride like a Cadillac compared to the Yoobao.  It is smoother in turns and the extra weight does give it a very stable feel on bike paths and sidewalks.  It is also faster and more powerful.  I guess you'll just need to weigh out the pros and cons of each and then choose.  If your like me, you'll own more than one!  Good luck with your new venture!  One a side note, don't worry about your learning curve.  I thought I made a mistake buying it the first few days, then one day suddenly it just all clicks!  I can't explain it, but your ankles no longer hurt.  You're riding with your hands in your pockets and it just feels second nature.  Everyone seems to say the same thing!  It's true.  These wheels are a blast!  Enjoy yourself no matter which one you choose! :)

As the questions about "where to buy", "where can I get one", "what resellers there are in country xyz" etc. have come up quite a lot, and probably will also in the future, I've tried to compile a list of resellers in different countries and people in this forum that sell the wheels. For now, it's only a scratch on all the shops worldwide, but hopefully with time, we can get it more complete (of course it will never contain all the shops in the world or be always up-to-date, but better than nothing... ;)). Please post in the thread or private message me any missing resellers you know of.

Hi Need Help,

I was in your shoes just literally days before your post! My advice would be to consider what your needs/wants are for the wheel. If you have the time, I'd also rec reading how some ppl have come to their decisions as there are many other threads similar to yours on this forum - I personally found them very helpful. You can view my inital thread and the feedback I got here. By now, I'm betting a number of retailers have PM'ed you (who, btw, were very respectful and straight forward).

I've also started another thread about my first few days on the wheel I just received this past Thursday (6/25) that you can read about here. It's only been days but it's been a blast so far! I'm currently practicing/playing on it until I can take it into NYC for my commute.

Finally, I do think it's very important you read/research/consider the area of safety vs speed/thrill. There are a number of threads discussing this, including the issue of wheels cutting out at certain top speeds. While it is fun, it can be very dangerous! There is an active thread on this issue of wheels cutting out here.

Good luck! Feel free to ask me and the others lots of questions!

• 11 months later...

I've had a few wheels and found the Q5 to be useless as any side slope causes problems. 

The e-wheel is by far the best wheel I have used. It is fast and easy to ride. I slalom through the c4owdjs on the high street and can turn on the spot. None of the other wheels came close to the e-wheel as far as was concerned.  But since the laws changed I not here have been a lot of 2 heels come out so I was wondering if there are any superior wheels out there that r as easy to ride as the Yoobao?

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 6:15 PM, sickswan said:

id suggest a cheapo to learn on im 100kg so 220lb an my generic cheapo shifts my weight fine. altho I got a cheap one an now want a gotway 18 or mcm2 lol I can still use the cheapo for friends

Because of the high number of falls and crashes while learning, I recommend starting with a cheapo wheel. You won't feel as bad when it is scraped and scratched. I started with the TG T3 and TG F3. Banggood.com frequently has sales on these. For example, as I type this, T3 is $232.99 + $7.35 shipping and F3 is $258.11 + $7.90 shipping. F3 has double the battery capacity, so at the current price points, get the F3. But the prices fluctuate, so check frequently. Despite the economical prices, these TG wheels are lots of fun. You get 90% of the fun for a very affordable price. Banggood is a reliable source in my experience. I have ordered 2 T3s and 1 F3 wheels and various accessories and various non-wheel items from Banggood with zero problems. Even after "graduating" to a more serious wheel (IPS), I still have my TG wheels and enjoy riding them sometimes. Plus as sickswan mentioned, they are good for when a friend wants to try a wheel.

On 6/18/2016 at 2:37 AM, MaxLinux said:

F3 has double the battery capacity, so at the current price points, get the F3

Double the battery for less than thirty dollars more.  I started with a TG T3 also and the 132wh battery was not strong and it would go down to 2 out of 4 lights within a very short time.  I am 6'2" 200 lbs.  There are some videos of people riding the F3 in the forum, and maybe mine just had a bad battery from the start,  but sometimes wish I had gotten the F3 instead of the T3.

Archived