An interview with Trevor — Industrial Designer of Airwheel S8

Airwheel, a leading smart transportation vehicle manufacturer, has launched a variety of intelligent electric scooters enjoying an increasingly high reputation all over the world. One of the latest products S8 is arresting a great many of scooter-lovers’ attention.

“Standing without ease, outstanding with difficulty”, the slogan of Airwheel S8 highlights playing for fun that is well received. How does the design concept come into fruition? To answer this question, we are honored to have an interview with Trevor, Industrial Designer of Airwheel S8.

Interviewer: As known to all, Airwheel electric hoverboards has become a leading global intelligent vehicles solution provider, would you like to share its development history?

2f0c471ce54c5e1faba916c0307afc0d.png

Trevor:I am flattered, as Airwheel is regarded as a leading smart transportation vehicle manufacturer and meanwhile I am honored to be its Industrial Designer and its products get acknowledged. Since its establishment, Airwheel is committed itself to producing a handy and green vehicle as much as possible. The R & D of electric scooter is less challenging compared with the pervasive Rv yacht.

At its infancy, Airwheel is to create a more intriguing and funnier lifestyle and later finds its products need to be an integral part of the public to benefit more. That’s why Airwheel released kinds of self-balancing electric scooters and electric skateboard.

Nowadays, the advancement of high tech sets a new front for the self-balancing scooter sector. Airwheel has made a stride in the riding posture, being responsible for both customers and shareholders. This is Airwheel S8, electric scooter with dual ride mode.

143a4c1a6171a1b189802c3cbbc4f6d0.png

Interviewer: Yes, the design of Airwheel S8 leaves a deep impression on me. What do you think is the most challenging problem during the design?

Trevor:Since the mass production of S6, we have begun to conceive the renovation plan. S8 is derived from S6 and S6 adopts the second generation of balancing scooter technology, transforming 2 points to 3 points control that effectively improves the riding experience. However, there are still some problems, especially in turning and obstacle traffic ability. How to adjust the flexibility of stress intensity and system sensing racked our brains.

Definitely, it is a favorable change altering a sitting posture to ride, allaying tiredness resulted from long time riding. The key is the smart sensor needs to react timely and accurately. Inspired by the oval line, a famous math curve, we designed the operating rod to be a curve, making the force bearing point in golden ratio.

In this way, with lower gravity center, more flexible control and larger bearing capacity, riders are able to enjoy a more comfortable and safer ride in sitting posture. This is one of the main differences between S6 and S8.

17dd8e3f1a5666183418fc5bf81e95b0.png
Interviewer: And that is also why S8 enjoys larger consumer base. In the design, will you make free-hand sketch first or just produce effect drawing via the three-dimensional software directly?

Trevor:I think free-hand sketch is the most convenient and economical method to express our thoughts. Actually, the opinions about the importance of free-hand sketch vary from designers. Some regard it as an integral part of design and some tend to use other ways to express their ideas.

I will make free-hand sketch first, and then there will be a 2D rendered image that improve work efficiency. The 2D rendered image is able to present all the details of the design products for us to revise. After reaching a unanimous decision, it will enter the three-dimensional production stage.

Airwheel S8 self-balancing scooter adopts 10 inch tubeless tires with a better roadworthiness.

555c24bd5c7c31b1776cd852acbf076f.png

Interviewer: Thanks for your answer. And you must be a great painter. Last question, what do you think of the industrial design of a product or what’s the role of industrial design plays in a product?

Trevor:Industrial design plays an important role. While, the success of product’s industrial design does not lie in the success of a single product, but the design concept and strategy related to its brand. The design concept is a mirror of its core value and commitment to users. And design strategy shows the corporate’s vision and plan of industrial design. From OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to OBM (Original Brand Manufacturer), there is a long way for Airwheel to go.

Interviewer: Thanks for sharing this with us. Hope Airwheel S8 will break the sales record.
Trevor:Thank you.
(The end.)

• Upvote 1

On 4 June 2016 at 9:47 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

To paraphrase the immortal words of Inigo Montoya... "I don't think these words mean what you think they mean."

Oh I don't know, it could be Airwheel being refreshingly honest ;-).

• Upvote 2

On 2016/6/4 at 4:47 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

To paraphrase the immortal words of Inigo Montoya... "I don't think these words mean what you think they mean."

thanks for your advice, i would be appreciate it if you can give us a better one. 

I don't really know what you were wanting to say, but as I learned to ride on an X8 (which I do still enjoy) you might want to try something like this...

"Standing with ease. Outstanding without difficulty."

• Upvote 2

On 2016/6/7 at 3:16 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I don't really know what you were wanting to say, but as I learned to ride on an X8 (which I do still enjoy) you might want to try something like this...

"Standing with ease. Outstanding without difficulty."

We all have our favorite way of riding, maybe some of like stand or sit scooter, so, also more useful, is not it?

27 minutes ago, Lisny Abby said:

We all have our favorite way of riding, maybe some of like stand or sit scooter, so, also more useful, is not it?

You're not getting the point.  They are saying your original slogan means the opposite of what you want it to mean.
“Standing without ease, outstanding with difficulty”  means "difficult to stand, outstanding but difficult".  What you want to say is what @The Fat Unicyclist said.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

You're not getting the point.  They are saying your original slogan means the opposite of what you want it to mean.
“Standing without ease, outstanding with difficulty”  means "difficult to stand, outstanding but difficult".  What you want to say is what @The Fat Unicyclist said.

dule-ride mode makes a difference, what do you think?

@Lisny Abby, "Standing without ease" is, in English, saying the Airwheel is not at all easy to stand on, surely not what you intended to say?

"Outstanding with difficulty" can be interpreted a number of ways in English but is most likely to be read as "the Airwheel has a very high number of difficulties" - I.e. It is full of problems, or possibly "it is very difficult for the rider to be outstanding (l.e. It is very, very hard to do really skilled tricks etc. ) on this Airwheel. Neither interpretation would have people rushing to buy it!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I just bought myself an Airwheel S8+ for my 70th birthday present. I cannot walk far or stand very long, but I can ride with ease.

I am using it to get around my retirement community, mostly indoors, but sometimes outdoors.

The materials with it say it shouldn't be used by people over 60! This is wrong. Older people like me are a perfect target demographic for this device. The S8 is my legs and my energy for getting around.

I love Maggie (from MAGnesium alloy), and lots of people have asked me about her when I show them how easy it is to ride.

I will never be able to use it STANDING, but I love that I can use it SITTING.

img_0915-e1570330950584.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I agree, I saw that reference to sixty b m too old to ride the s eight

It is the perfect thing for me as I have bad neuropathy in my hands and feet. I'm having trouble seeing if there's still available on the market. I can't get an answer out of airwheel.

I would like to sell them.