• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

Don't forget that the settings for "suspension" can make a significant difference to the feel of the ride.  You must ensure they are the same on firmware versions when making comparisons.

Sure ;)

Please, can you try to describe the different drive sensations playing with the "suspension" setting??? 

Thanks ;)

I posted the "official" explanation some time back - where?? - but basically it affects how much firmness there appears to be when leaning forwards and back.  So one way it's more responsive to small leans, and the other way less responsive (so when experimenting, be aware that you braking distance may appear to increase according to the setting).  Experiment with this setting somewhere flat, smooth, and open, to avoid mishaps.  Personally I found adjusting the setting made me realise that the "automatic" setting was in fact best, for me at least.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:13 AM, WilliamG said:

No it's not. I've done about 80 miles on 1.3.1. When it beeps it BARELY leans back. If you continue to push the miniPRO it might lean back more, but why would you purposely do that?

1.3.1 is excellent. And I really have no idea why people continue to run 1.1.7, not just because on a device that is supposed to be keeing me safe - I want the latest patches!!

I have done over 350 miles and 1.3.1 is EXTREMELY aggressive in pulling you back. It's absolutely annoying! I would purposely do that because I want to go faster! I use this as a true commuting Personal Transporter; not a little toy overboard that I ride around the neighborhood. And to truly commute, it requires a decent speed!

1.3.1 is hardly excellent. It's rather annoying. Why can't they make the beeping configurable? With the speed, I can understand for liability reasons -- I'm in legal -- them wanting to hard limit speed governor. But the beeping is complete bullshit! It has nothing to do with liability. It's there to purely annoy you! I want the ability to shut that damn beeping off!

Think at that. ..

In a day that I was familiarised with mini, Now I'm having beeps plus dangerous and annoying lean back almost continuously either with 1.1.7 .... 

Having mounted the long handlebar,  the mini results more easy and stable so the perception of speed change a lot .. either at 17Km/h seems to be a bit slowly. ..

16 hours ago, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

I have done over 350 miles and 1.3.1 is EXTREMELY aggressive in pulling you back. It's absolutely annoying! I would purposely do that because I want to go faster! I use this as a true commuting Personal Transporter; not a little toy overboard that I ride around the neighborhood. And to truly commute, it requires a decent speed!

1.3.1 is hardly excellent. It's rather annoying. Why can't they make the beeping configurable? With the speed, I can understand for liability reasons -- I'm in legal -- them wanting to hard limit speed governor. But the beeping is complete bullshit! It has nothing to do with liability. It's there to purely annoy you! I want the ability to shut that damn beeping off!

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. If you find 1.3.1 extremely aggressive in pulling you back, you're riding it INCORRECTLY. That's all there is to it. Nothing more. The only reason Ninebot would modify it this way is to PROTECT ITSELF, and to PROTECT YOU from pushing the device harder than necessary. Either you fall flat on your face or the device leans you back. I'd rather it lean me back. The miniPRO HAS to make sure it doesn't get overworked to the point where it cannot balance. It has a limit. 

My wife and I have almost 100 miles on these on 1.3.1. We've encountered the beeps when we're pushing it harder than designed, and never otherwise. It's never dangerous, because we don't keep pushing it AFTER the unit beeps. Why would you do that, and why people can't learn to ride these is beyond me. My max speed is 17.5km/h or 10.9mph, and I can ride around close to that without any trouble or beeping. Same goes for my wife. Learn to ride it correctly. If the 10.9mph max speed isn't enough for you, then why did you buy it? You say you want to go faster - so buy a car! It's advertised as 10mph max, anyway! IT WORKS AS ADVERTISED. I just shake my head....

24 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. If you find 1.3.1 extremely aggressive in pulling you back, you're riding it INCORRECTLY. That's all there is to it. Nothing more. The only reason Ninebot would modify it this way is to PROTECT ITSELF, and to PROTECT YOU from pushing the device harder than necessary. Either you fall flat on your face or the device leans you back. I'd rather it lean me back. The miniPRO HAS to make sure it doesn't get overworked to the point where it cannot balance. It has a limit. 

My wife and I have almost 100 miles on these on 1.3.1. We've encountered the beeps when we're pushing it harder than designed, and never otherwise. It's never dangerous, because we don't keep pushing it AFTER the unit beeps. Why would you do that, and why people can't learn to ride these is beyond me. My max speed is 17.5km/h or 10.9mph, and I can ride around close to that without any trouble or beeping. Same goes for my wife. Learn to ride it correctly. If the 10.9mph max speed isn't enough for you, then why did you buy it? You say you want to go faster - so buy a car! It's advertised as 10mph max, anyway! IT WORKS AS ADVERTISED. I just shake my head....

@WilliamG:  im agree with you

Ride up to 17.5km/h with careffully attitude bring satisfaction

We cant expect have more speed, and push harder will bring us accident, 

We can get a max speed at 18 or 20kmh but it's only for few seconds before tilt back and beeping warning

Please, don't expect more speed from mini

Please everybody enjoy riding on all fields, new ways , nature, park, woods, please everybody enjoy share your experience riding mini with new people, that's really enjoying too, 

Please forget the speed, mini is not an EUC, mini is better than an overboard, mini is unique (for the moment)

Peace & Love your Mini everybody :wub:

Yes!  It's not intended for "boy racers" but for maintaining a good average speed across a variety of surfaces.  In that respect, over say five miles of suburban pavements, it would beat any "hoverboard" big time - think in terms of average speed, not maximum.  It's a replacement for walking, jogging or moderate running, not a replacement for a car or bike.

Earlier this week I was able to get out on mine for the first time in days and found myself going a bit slower than usual getting my "Segway legs" back - then I found myself enjoying the Segway in a whole new way, watching the world going by in a relaxed way, just going for a walk except over a longer distance than I would normally have time for. 

Sometimes I think people who complain about leanback would complain about the way their bicycles lean over as they go around corners - it's all a matter of the laws of physics, as anyone who has walked along balancing a broomstick on the palm of their hand knows!  (I do that all the time, but for some reason people stare at me...)

8 hours ago, WilliamG said:

I have a lot more miles ridden than you so don't try to tell me I'm riding incorrectly. 

If you're too chicken to ride faster, than admit it, and move on. Don't try to be the nanny state and set limits on my freedom to move as fast as the law allows. 

Segway Mini's speed limit is annoying as shite, PERIOD! It's a 100% certainty they WILL have lawsuits up their asses given its strong demand to push backwards as you speed up. Inevitably someone will fall from that pushback and get seriously injured, at which point Segway will be sued. It's just a matter of time. Asking people to slow down isn't a solution. You don't prevent all car accidents by installing artificial limiters and making everyone drive 25 MPH on freeways. It doesn't work that way. 

25 minutes ago, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

.............You don't prevent all car accidents by installing artificial limiters and making everyone drive 25 MPH on freeways. It doesn't work that way. 

Completely agree with the quoted point ;)

Beeping Leaning back or other aggressive tools could be more dangerous in some circumstances like downhills or uphills than having a proper full control and personally manage the motor and the device ! ;)

At this point, better an automated deceleration till stopped the the device in case of problems, danger or under power ;)

Just for clarification....

The one and only way for minipro to decrease the speed is to lean you back (by actually running a little faster to outrun the rider and keep the balance at the same time). The tiltback by itself is not capable of stopping the mini - you have to lean back a little bit more so the mini can slow down.

If they don't engage tiltback safety feature, then you'll not going to know if you ask for more power than battery can deliver (and keep you balanced). And if battery cannot deliver enough juice - you'll get your accelerated flying lesson...

2 hours ago, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

I have a lot more miles ridden than you so don't try to tell me I'm riding incorrectly. 

If you're too chicken to ride faster, than admit it, and move on. Don't try to be the nanny state and set limits on my freedom to move as fast as the law allows. 

Segway Mini's speed limit is annoying as shite, PERIOD! It's a 100% certainty they WILL have lawsuits up their asses given its strong demand to push backwards as you speed up. Inevitably someone will fall from that pushback and get seriously injured, at which point Segway will be sued. It's just a matter of time. Asking people to slow down isn't a solution. You don't prevent all car accidents by installing artificial limiters and making everyone drive 25 MPH on freeways. It doesn't work that way. 

These lawsuits are all in your head. It's never going to happen. I suggest learning to ride your miniPRO like the majority of us have managed to do. 

On 31/08/2016 at 6:51 AM, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

It's absolutely annoying! 

YES 

Riding a long distance on a straight road with cars and motorcycles that exceed you, really yes I agree it's boring, annoying, we feel the need to go faster (example picture below)
because it's the day, and the number of vehicles is important

But at night, it's very different, I ride 15km / h and I feel going more faster
no motorcycles, cars, everything is calm and pleasure is real

suggest:

By day: in the woods, riding experience is really great, field is not flat, and feeling fast speed is better in a natural environnment, not on the road

By night, take the road, you will feel diferent really diferent riding experience

enoying.PNG

... just because you have a lot of km or miles doesn't make you an expert
... just because you like to ride at 10kmh or 5mph doesn't mean we all like that
... just because you prefer to ride it slow doesn't mean everyone likes that
... just because you like to ride it for leisure, fun or stroll at the park doesn't mean everyone wants to do that

Stop telling people that they ride it incorrectly! 
We are not discussing here tricks and crazy riding stunts.
We all ride it the same! You get on it and lean forward or back. Simple.
Some of us need to use them as personal transporter and some just need a fun toy

Here are the facts!
These units were initially advertized at 18kmh / 30km range.

In order to sell more units and comply with bylaws, laws and regulations 
which in majority of cases impose a maximum of 10mph speed on such vehicles,
Ninebot/Segway needs to limit the speed to 10mph
Speed limiters and governors must work different than in cars therefore leanbacks, etc.
This is the only reason why the speed was decreased in the latest firmware since July launch!!

Sad part is that these are still illegal in Toronto regardless of speed limiters...

...by the way I have lots of km/miles too :)

I just can't understand what the basis is for claims that it is artificially limited to a certain speed and that it could go faster if that limiter was removed - while still dependably balancing the rider and still being capable of taking obstacles in its stride.  I suspect some people just don't understand the basics of electric vehicles.  They accelerate at a pretty constant rate up to their rated speed, and that's it.  The acceleration of petrol vehicles reduces as they approach their rated speed.  Don't expect the MiniPro to go faster just because it accelerates quickly up to its rated speed.

The engineers at Segway must weep at the daft statements that some users make, who think they know more about designing two wheeled self balancing vehicles than they do, on the basis of zero experience.  Riding the thing x number of miles doesn't qualify anyone as an engineer / designer.

28 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

I just can't understand what the basis is for claims that it is artificially limited to a certain speed and that it could go faster if that limiter was removed - while still dependably balancing the rider and still being capable of taking obstacles in its stride.  I suspect some people just don't understand the basics of electric vehicles.  They accelerate at a pretty constant rate up to their rated speed, and that's it.  The acceleration of petrol vehicles reduces as they approach their rated speed.  Don't expect the MiniPro to go faster just because it accelerates quickly up to its rated speed.

The engineers at Segway must weep at the daft statements that some users make, who think they know more about designing two wheeled self balancing vehicles than they do, on the basis of zero experience.  Riding the thing x number of miles doesn't qualify anyone as an engineer / designer.

I explained why the speed is limited to 10mph. To make the vehicle comply with a 10mph limit as imposed in some cities bylaws... These "vehicles" are more illegal than legal in most cities anyway. These minipros can easily sustain a 20kmh speed without any issues.

Agree ;)

The limits are self Imposed to hope to insert them in a side walk category devices. ..and to avoid problems by hypotetical falling guys. ..

The motor with its 800 total sustained watts and 1600w peaks power plus the 320wh battery could easily sustain either till 50km/h speed ;) like just done many 800w traditional in line wheels electric scooters ......:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with the leaning back to protect the rider. The newer firmware is just too agrressive when leaning back and it does it constantly to the point that the leaning action is annoying and dangerous to the rider.

When it goes over the governed speed, it pulls back right away. I feel like the older firmware has longer delay between the beep and the lean back action. This way I have time to react and slow myself down.

Also, that feature makes it terrible when going up hill. I hated it until and got another unit & downgraded the firmware.

1 hour ago, tengtengvn said:

Also, that feature makes it terrible when going up hill. I hated it until and got another unit & downgraded the firmware.

Unlucky,  I'm having this with my 95kg almost immediately I start to go up hills even though I have 1.1.7 firmware. ....:(

It seems that people maybe don't fully understand that perhaps Ninebot did this to protect us. On prior firmwares, as I understand it, the leaning back was less immediate. I can't think of ANY reason why Ninebot would tweak this unless that delay was DANGEROUS for the miniPRO. i.e. the sensors waited TOO long and in some circumstances was unable to keep you balanced on it - and then... face plant because the unit is unable to lean back to keep you falling forward.

Considering it's Ninebot that made this unit, I'm not going to assume they don't know what they're doing...

4 hours ago, tengtengvn said:

Nothing wrong with the leaning back to protect the rider. The newer firmware is just too agrressive when leaning back and it does it constantly to the point that the leaning action is annoying and dangerous to the rider.

When it goes over the governed speed, it pulls back right away. I feel like the older firmware has longer delay between the beep and the lean back action. This way I have time to react and slow myself down.

Exactly what versions are you referring to?  Have you now got two units and what versions are they on?  Your description of "older firmware" sounds like my experience with the current firmware.  I do wonder sometimes whether these differences are to do with how people have the suspension setting adjusted.  Certainly no comparisons should be made with the suspension other than in "auto" mode.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31.8.2016 at 6:51 AM, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

Well, I came to the conclusion, the MiniPro as it behaves now is just the wrong device for me.  The speed-penalty is ridiculous when he "thinks" I'm driving unsafely, but even when the penalty would not be there, it is just far to slow for longer cruising, and it is then in constant beeping mode (I'm not a "boy racer", but 57, and wanted a gyro mainly for cruising over medium distances, not as a replacement for walking around or jogging).

Therefore I changed to an EUC, a Kingsong KS16.  Also this is constantly beeping, but here it doesn't disturb me, because it happens at 30 km/h.  I meanwhile know that I'm mostly cruising around 25 km/h, so I hear the beeps only when I shortly accelerate for some reason, which happens not that often.

To be honest, I must say, I like the way of riding which the MiniPro offers, but for me it would need a non-penalized max-speed of 25 km/h (around 16 mph).

Therefore I thought for some time I would keep it in addition to the KS16, e.g. in case someone would join me when I go out for a ride.  But then I discovered it makes me sick when I have to follow my guest for 15 or 20 km with an average speed of 12 to 15 km/h, knowing I could easily do 25.  

So now, at the end of the story, my MiniPro will soon find it's way to ebay, because it makes no sense for me anymore to own it.  

But in case Ninebot will offer a new version in the future, which is 10 km/h faster, I'll definitely take a look at it.

Unlucky. .

I really don't think that will ever come out from Ninebot a device of this kind that will go to 25-30Km/h ...it's against their plains to achieve the homologation to be legally used on all sidewalks.  This is the reason why in the app exists the 6km/h speed limit setting ;)

I believe,  it's more easy to assist in a future to a kind of hacks that will permit to get some CUSTOM Firmwares that will act as the user wants and desires B)

Come on my developers !

Thake this jewel at our desired speed together with the ability in a custom app to set the threshold where it starts to beep ( or even shut off) and tilt back ;)

Archived