Gotway 8 inch (M0) electric unicycle mini review

John Eucist

• 10 months later...

@John Eucist  Hi!  So who was the owner of this M0?  Are they still riding it?  How is it working almost a year later since this recording?  I'm considering getting one...

Much thanks,

We just walked into a euc shop and borrowed it for 5 minutes for this video (in front of their shop).  Probably very difficult to buy one now.

Someone said they stopped making it two months ago so I emailed Jane Mo.  She said that they will make it next year (I'm not sure if she confirmed that they stopped production and/or that they are making a version 2?  So I asked will the motor be geared or quieter direct drive - but I also mentioned I ordered the MCM4 - then the next response is from a different person asking what battery size of MCM4 did I want?

So I think it turned from information inquiry to purchasing - so I asked how much for the M08inch shipped.  Things can get complicated quickly even with two-sentence email exchanges.

Since I like my MTen so much but I have the older version, noisy with gearing - I would like a gearless version!  But ... why buy another 10-inch when maybe I can get the 8-inch for similar yet different experience.  It would be one of the lightest possible wheels (except for the 5 inch) and I'm used to riding the small wheel already.

The trick I use is seen on my avatar photo - I loop a tiny belt with thick foam and slip it over the top use as padding (x2) - this gives good feedback touching the sides of the legs and so you are always aware of what's going on - giving great confidence and control.  This padding is much thicker than most people are using.  It should work with any small wheel 12" or smaller that is hard to control or jittery (squirrel 'ly), and you just slip 'em on and off if you want - it's not taped at all.  Without it there is a lot of ankle play and you have to use "extreme zen" to ride in control (meaning only an advanced monk with special calmness training and meditation can ride it - and who can do that?  No one).)

Anyway the other person said "geared" so if M0.v2 is geared then I'll take a v1 if discounted.  (But the 5-inch isn't geared right, so it's still not fully resolved in my mind whether 8-inch could become gearless.)

Oh thanks for telling me.  I try to take care of my Mten so that it will "live" for as long as possible.  I suppose someone could replace the tubeless tire with a regular tire to make the ride better - I supposed if one can find a 10-inch tire to buy.

On 28.10.2015 15:32:44, castShadow said:

Someone said they stopped making it two months ago so I emailed Jane Mo.  She said that they will make it next year (I'm not sure if she confirmed that they stopped production and/or that they are making a version 2?  So I asked will the motor be geared or quieter direct drive - but I also mentioned I ordered the MCM4 - then the next response is from a different person asking what battery size of MCM4 did I want?

I heard the same rumor, that Mten production is coming to an end, from 1RadWerkstatt. They are GotWay distributors, have imported MCMs and Msuper to Germany in quantities and recently repaired my Mten on behalf of GotWay (factory warranty). According to them, GotWay just sells a few left-overs to individual buyers, but does not have the quantities to go through distributors anymore. @John Eucist can you share any insights?

Too bad - I love the model (despite it's obvious lack of padding). And I'm glad, I still got one.

Does anybody know more about the vague KingSong announcement regarding a 10" model??

16 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

I heard the same rumor, that Mten production is coming to an end, from 1RadWerkstatt. They are GotWay distributors, have imported MCMs and Msuper to Germany in quantities and recently repaired my Mten on behalf of GotWay (factory warranty). According to them, GotWay just sells a few left-overs to individual buyers, but does not have the quantities to go through distributors anymore. @John Eucist can you share any insights?

When I went to their factory a few weeks ago to buy the MCM4 Lin said they don't make them anymore.

2 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

When I went to their factory a few weeks ago to buy the MCM4 Lin said they don't make them anymore.

Sniff - thanks - I guess, that makes it official. But then: now I'm proudly riding a piece of EUC history ... :P

4 hours ago, Tilmann said:

Does anybody know more about the vague KingSong announcement regarding a 10" model??

Between some improvements in the 14", a <160Wh 14B 'special travel edition', the new 16" & the 18" the King Song engineering team is properly preoccupied for the next 3-6 months. 

Ack- if only I could test ride any of these wheels I'd know immediately if I want to buy one.  I've never had an opportunity to test ride anything and I have to do guesswork and research before buying and of course I've learned to accept all the risks - for example I ordered the MCM4 on assumptions alone although that one is a good bet even with the initial issues.  I'm glad they're not shipping yet and are still working out the issues (one supposes) - I prefer it late but all sorted out.  It's not like I'm in great need of another wheel but I am hoping that this will be my definitive 14-inch!  I have lots of 16-inch but have been holding out for a good 14...

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Between some improvements in the 14", a <160Wh 14B 'special travel edition', the new 16" & the 18" the King Song engineering team is properly preoccupied for the next 3-6 months. 

Jason, what's in store for the new KS-18? Same design I'm guessing with bigger wattage & battery? Closer to MSuper2 stats?

Archived