Your KS 16 expirence

vido

On ‎04‎-‎06‎-‎2016 at 6:54 AM, Peter Brierley said:

Recently unpacked my 8th KS/Milbay purchase, a KS16.

Am still recovering from a 50kph crash so did not ride more than 40 metres.

First impression, disappointed.  

Why is the KS 16 so damn heavy ? (My own 26" wheel is only 1 kg heavier with the same battery cap but has the 1100wh motor)

Why are the pedals so bloody low ?  Great that they are bigger and wider than the KS14 but same ground clearance, so the very first time I turned around I banged the pedal on the ground. Poor design imho. Would have been very easy to design a shorter pedal post to increase clearance and improve turning.

Overall appearance is good and production quality is improved from older models, which is certainly an area which all manufacturers should be focusing on and much overdue.

This machine was bought to upgrade my Wife's previous KS14, she's more impressed than I am so far.

Hello Peter,

I hope You're ok and recovering well? Crashing with 50 km/h could be very serious. I remember You claiming, that in Your opinion the 26" modification made the KS18 the most secure and dependant EUC on the market. Where as there's allways people around to ridicule when Things go wrong, this is not my intent. Am simply curious about the technical or human reason for the crash. Am an admirer of Your Work and entrepeneurship here.

Sorry for a slight derailing of thread... :P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My apologies for the off topic.

Rider stupidity was the cause of the crash. 

I was 28km into a ride and under 50% battery, and also in a hurry. Approaching a 15 degree gradient hill at near top speed, I asked for even more effort from the machine which the remaining battery did not have sufficient reserve to provide, so the wheel decided it could not cope and promptly quit.

I assume if I had full battery, the wheel would have given me the extra 5kph I was looking for without incident. Simply that I attempted to travel so close to 100% effort on a depleted battery brought me undone.

6 minutes ago, Mistagear said:

I was 28km into a ride and under 50% battery, and also in a hurry. Approaching a 15 degree gradient hill at near top speed, I asked for even more effort from the machine which the remaining battery did not have sufficient reserve to provide, so the wheel decided it could not cope and promptly quit.

I assume if I had full battery, the wheel would have given me the extra 5kph I was looking for without incident. Simply that I attempted to travel so close to 100% effort on a depleted battery brought me undone.

Sorry to hear that. I have faceplanted twice for the same reason, albeit at a much slower speed, 20-25 kph. Wish you a full recovery asap

38 minutes ago, Mistagear said:

Knowing and respecting the limits of any particular wheel imho is the absolute number 1 safety rule. Wheighing in at 115 kg and riding on a generic 14" Airwheel X3 clone has turned out to be very secure for me and after a year of learning the limits, I have not had any trouble for a long time.

It was a very big step up in security to build and install a quality battery-pack, which can deliver current. This rhymes with Your observations.

Thank You for elaborating on this. One can never have too much current available.

5 hours ago, vido said:

How's the trolley handle holding up?

I'd say, no probs yet, have cared the unit many times down stairs with extracted handle and after that IOT pass the 50-60 m. subway (underpass), roll it aside me. It's easier when the wheel is turned on, but there is a trick for turned off wheel - hold the handle in the front part, pull it up more (not in the air) and keep walking. This way the wheel is more stabilized.

Warning! IMO, the extracted handle is designed only for pulling pressure. I would not test it's lateral or downwards strength.

6 hours ago, vido said:

Handle is quite rigid when pressed down, but in extended mode it has some play and it could bend and brake when moderate lateral force is used. The aluminium square tubes are just 0,5mm thick which I think is too thin..though I understand they wanted to keep things light. I'd say it'll work for pushing or pulling the wheel, but it'll be one of the first things to brake electronics aside.  

13 hours ago, Mistagear said:

i suppose the pedal height of 230mm (additional 100mm) on my usual machine has allowed me to expect more aggressive turning, however I remain disappointed the 16" wheel has poorer tilt turn than the 14" wheel.

The trade-off between straight-line stability and agility has been discussed on a lot of threads here. If you are looking to do acrobatics or tight maneuvers the 14-inch wheel is going to be better. It's really hard to jump my 16-inch Firewheel with its weight, my 14-inch wheel is more fun for just messing around on the driveway.

13 hours ago, vido said:

Mine is holding up great! Only cosmetic damage (such as chipped away tiny rubber pieces). Mechanically it operates just as when it was new. Very solid construction, and masterful design. ☺

5 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Mine is holding up great! Only cosmetic damage (such as chipped away tiny rubber pieces). Mechanically it operates just as when it was new. Very solid construction, and masterful design. ☺

Try falling off the wheel with the wheel rolling around on top of the trolley handle, and see what happens, hope it golds up. Ive ruined several trolley handles like that on my ks14. This is why i like replaceable trolley over the built in one:) 

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Try falling off the wheel with the wheel rolling around on top of the trolley handle, and see what happens, hope it golds up. Ive ruined several trolley handles like that on my ks14. This is why i like replaceable trolley over the built in one:) 

That has happenned to me several times already. That's why mine has cosmetic damage, from the multiple rolls and tumbles of the wheel on hard grond surfaces. 

It is quite obvious that they designed this handle to be unbreakable when fully inserted into the machine. It is very different from traditional handles. It is designed to withstand rolling force nicely.

12 hours ago, dmethvin said:
12 hours ago, dmethvin said:

The trade-off between straight-line stability and agility has been discussed on a lot of threads here. If you are looking to do acrobatics or tight maneuvers the 14-inch wheel is going to be better. It's really hard to jump my 16-inch Firewheel with its weight, my 14-inch wheel is more fun for just messing around on the driveway.

My original statement was 

"Why are the pedals so bloody low ?  Great that they are bigger and wider than the KS14 but same ground clearance, so the very first time I turned around I banged the pedal on the ground. Poor design imho. Would have been very easy to design a shorter pedal post to increase clearance and improve turning."

I posted pics showing the KS14 had slightly higher pedals than the KS16.

Was not referring to tricks, I simply did a U-Turn and hit the pedal on the ground which is also one of the reasons I dislike riding the 14". Apparently I tilt a wheel more than other riders if nobody else has noticed how low the pedals are. I will not be riding the KS16 so it is not a drama, only my "KS16 experience" as the topic called for

Archived