Your KS 16 expirence

vido

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Ok now i understand. Actually KS16 looks wuite good to me in pics and videos. Ive never ridden it but my ks14" can usually maintain full speed with my 100kg even on 25% battery ( of course my battery is huge 840wh). Not sure how gotway behaves in this situation. I might go for a ks 16 as i feel like i need a second back up wheel! Lol. One of my wheels is currently disabled, and i just got a flat tire in the other, and i was going insane having to wait for a bus!!

Gotway's big problem is the methods they use for the warning beeps:

1) The GW warning beeps are way louder than the KS beeps. Twice as loud. Really annoying.

2) The GW warning beeps use different parameters for activation. Because their wheels don't calculate real speed, the beeps come in at lower real speeds than for KS. The GW beeps also start sounding earlier as the battery starts going down, more and more. Unlike KS.

4 minutes ago, vido said:

Is there a battery percentage where the ks16 can not increase its speed? For example ninebot can not go faster then 8 mph when battery is 20% or lower; tilt back is activated.

I don't know. I haven't got the battery below 30% yet.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Ok now i understand. Actually KS16 looks wuite good to me in pics and videos. Ive never ridden it but my ks14" can usually maintain full speed with my 100kg even on 25% battery ( of course my battery is huge 840wh). Not sure how gotway behaves in this situation. I might go for a ks 16 as i feel like i need a second back up wheel! Lol. One of my wheels is currently disabled, and i just got a flat tire in the other, and i was going insane having to wait for a bus!!

How many miles can you get on avg from 100%? And would you happen to be from New York and know a guy name Jonathan (feardbliss)?

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM, esaj said:

Don't know how reliable the percentage values are, as the voltage does not change completely linearly as the packs discharge, especially near the full voltage or almost at empty.

At least on my friends' KS16, the voice messages were disabled (no "Hello King Song" etc, just beeps as speed warning). Via the app maybe? AFAIK, it was still using some older firmware (1.15 maybe?).

I believe we should stop talking about "charge %", and use V instead.

Define a lower limit (55V?) and then check how many Km/Miles you can  run till you've reached this V lower limit, would make more sense to me.

54 minutes ago, vido said:

How many miles can you get on avg from 100%? And would you happen to be from New York and know a guy name Jonathan (feardbliss)?

Yes i am from nyc and jonathan is my buddy. Why?

mikeage depends on the riders weight. On 840wh battery i can get up to 25 miles with my 100kg

1 hour ago, vido said:

Is there a battery percentage where the ks16 can not increase its speed? For example ninebot can not go faster then 8 mph when battery is 20% or lower; tilt back is activated.

Yes there is at least for 14" ks. Around 50 volts it starts tilting back and not letting you go fast

Oh we three should ride together one day :D. We had a race yesterday and my ninebot acceleration is faster than his ks but he soon catches up with a higher top speed lol

1 hour ago, vido said:

Oh we three should ride together one day :D. We had a race yesterday and my ninebot acceleration is faster than his ks but he soon catches up with a higher top speed lol

Yeah we should. Im free tonight. Lol

inebot accelerates faster? I dont believe that!!! You will have to shiw me 

33 minutes ago, Cloud said:

You will have to shiw me 

For your sake, I hope they won't at least *drumroll* shiv you *rimshot;)   Good night, you've been a great audience!

56 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yeah we should. Im free tonight. Lol

inebot accelerates faster? I dont believe that!!! You will have to shiw me 

Lol guess I'll see you guys tonight haha. Does 10:00 sound good?

Heard you ride aggressive too loll

20 minutes ago, vido said:

Lol guess I'll see you guys tonight haha. Does 10:00 sound good?

Heard you ride aggressive too loll

I can do 10.  What about fearedbliss? I can ride hard if i want to

On 5/24/2016 at 0:16 PM, vido said:

When riding does it feel soft unlike the stiff feeling of a ninebot? What ride style you have on? Are you using the android or iOS app? 

I had the chance to ride my buddy Jeff's new 840wh KS16 and as far as softness i'd have to say its feels like a ninebot on the #4 softness.

as far as what unit is "better" I think you must know my taste first off.

I do really like a nice fit and finish to a wheel, but honestly ... I would have to say I would have left with the KS16 over my very own ninebot E+. and here is why.

Plain and simple I need performance,

1. I want speed, a little more than my 14.5mph ninebot can do... I Know this sounds unsafe but this is how I ride. (16-19mph)

2. I also need battery life.. and a LOT of it. Currently I have modified my E+ battery housing to be quickly removed, so I can carry an extra battery on me and swap them half way through... and I do, I often go that 15-30 miles that need both batteries to make it.

3. Lastly Enough raw motor torque to save my a$$ when I am going that 16+mph and hit a bump. as of now the ninebot at 15mph topped out can usually save me just fine but I often can get 90% of the way thrown off with the bot beeping at me that I overloaded it, but it pulls through and the E+ never actually dropped me at its limits. Again i'm not knocking the Bot in any way because it works flawlessly, but I feel like I'm ready for the next step.

So I weigh 180lbs (81KG) and Have about 800 miles (1280KM) and here is why I would have Taken the KS16 over the E+ Ninebot

1. Real side by side speed with both units next to each other. With me on my E+ topped out at 15MPH per the app, the KS16 could easily pass with no beeps, tilt backs, or loss in stability. It was a Very clear speed increase on the KS that I would guess have been at 18-19mph per my same app. Over all it was making me drool a little lol.

2. Battery life. As we can assume how much further a ks16's 820wh battery could go over the 340wh E+ battery, I don't think we needed a lot of side by side here. And if Jeff reads this hopefully he can chime in on his Actual Range through the steep hills of seattle. As for my E+ I can get about 10 miles per battery on the hills if lucky.

3. Overall Torque feels great on a ninebot, it will climb almost any hill just fine. If you weight over 80KG or 180LBS like me then you know that hitting the beeping limit on a steep hill by adding a little extra weight to the front of the pedals is pretty easy. personally I never took the KS16 up any really steep hills but I did take it to some grass and really gave it the beans to see how it did. It felt REALLY good. I never did get it to beep or hit any limits at all.

Overall I think the ninebot quality is slightly ahead, but it was not nearly enough to turn me away from it and that is why I would take the KS16

Exact reason why I placed an order for the ks16. Ninebot worked perfectly, had faster acceleration than ks14 800w I've encountered but I want the extra speed and need the extra battery life.

49 minutes ago, vido said:

Exact reason why I placed an order for the ks16. Ninebot worked perfectly, had faster acceleration than ks14 800w I've encountered but I want the extra speed and need the extra battery life.

Ninebot E+ accelerates faster than KS 14 800W, really? Please confirm. If someone can do an acceleration comparison video, then great.

1 hour ago, ECUMania said:

Ninebot E+ accelerates faster than KS 14 800W, really? Please confirm. If someone can do an acceleration comparison video, then great.

I'd bet the ks is quicker due to 800 watts plus a higher burst on a smaller diameter weel. my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Bryan Wells said:

I'd bet the ks is quicker due to 800 watts plus a higher burst on a smaller diameter weel. my 2 cents

@ECUMania @Bryan Wells I think I know what @vido is talking about.

If the KS-16A is similar to the rest of the KingSong line (which I'm reading that it is, relatively speaking), it should be a softer response than the Ninebot, which is one of the hardest responses out. As such, there is more of a give when starting the wheel, versus the Ninebot's instant go.

Thus, on flat even ground, acceleration from 0 to ~5MPH will be faster for the 500W Ninebot One E+ vs the KS 800W line.

However, the rest of the acceleration from ~5MPH to top speed will be faster for the KingSongs as the 800W motor power kicks in, plus the fact that they have ~5MPH more room to accelerate. Think a sprinter who is fast off the blocks (Ninebot), vs. a faster sprinter who is just slow off the blocks (KingSong) and needs a second for things to kick into gear.

This is altogether different for uphill though, where it's only about power. The KingSong 800W line will naturally accelerate faster, from start to finish, compared with the weaker 500W Ninebot One E+.

This at least, has been my experience going from NB1E+ to my current KS-18A (same when I tried the KS-14C as well)

1 hour ago, ECUMania said:

I think the right way to say it woukd be that @vido on the ninebot can accelerate faster than someone else on kingsong. Ive seen this guy go - he is like a bullet, one with the wheel, knows its limits and accelerates hard, only a smidge short of overleaning. We didnt do a test, but being that he is much lighter than me, he most certainly can accelerate faster on his ninebot than i can on my ks. Pehaps faster / harder response is another reason, like @houseofjob says.

Recently unpacked my 8th KS/Milbay purchase, a KS16.

Am still recovering from a 50kph crash so did not ride more than 40 metres.

First impression, disappointed.  

Why is the KS 16 so damn heavy ? (My own 26" wheel is only 1 kg heavier with the same battery cap but has the 1100wh motor)

Why are the pedals so bloody low ?  Great that they are bigger and wider than the KS14 but same ground clearance, so the very first time I turned around I banged the pedal on the ground. Poor design imho. Would have been very easy to design a shorter pedal post to increase clearance and improve turning.

Overall appearance is good and production quality is improved from older models, which is certainly an area which all manufacturers should be focusing on and much overdue.

This machine was bought to upgrade my Wife's previous KS14, she's more impressed than I am so far.

12 hours ago, Cloud said:

I think the right way to say it woukd be that @vido on the ninebot can accelerate faster than someone else on kingsong. Ive seen this guy go - he is like a bullet, one with the wheel, knows its limits and accelerates hard, only a smidge short of overleaning. We didnt do a test, but being that he is much lighter than me, he most certainly can accelerate faster on his ninebot than i can on my ks. Pehaps faster / harder response is another reason, like @houseofjob says.

One reason may be this: KS's motor is designed for higher speed than NB1, so KS has to give up some torque at low speed.

@ECUMania I would argue that KS wheels are tuned for higher torque, thus sacrificing the initial speed burst/acceleration, but making up for it on the back end with a higher overall top speed.

Note that wheels like the Gotway MSuper2 offer you the choice of the wheel tuned for high speed (HS model, listed 40kph top speed) or, on the other spectrum, high torque (HT model, listed 28kph top speed), while KS wheels do not give you such options (universal settings for all like models).

I have suspicions that KS wheels lean more towards high torque, as, when swapping out my old mkII KS-18A board to an mkIII board, my wheel suddenly had an easier and faster time climbing the same uphill streets I had traveled prior, not to mention pushing open heavy building doors while riding is much easier on my KS-18A.

@Peter Brierley you're the first I've heard complain about pedal height on KS16. Are you sure it's not just because you're used to your modified height? When I compared it to other wheels, it's just as high if not higher. I think they could be longer to accommodate more of the foot, but I bank pretty hard and have yet to scrape. Feels on the high side to me. (Also I hope you recover fully!! 50kph crash sound awful)

@Bryan Wells I don't have much more to comment on battery capacity as I have yet to even come close to testing the full range yet, haha. I'm using the charger Jason provided which is a fast charger that caps the voltage to ~60somethin volts (it's under 67, I forget the exact number) for an increased life span of the cells. Of course that means I'm never charging it to 100% capacity so I'll never see the full potential nor will I need it. ;)

I will definitely agree with your assessment in ride quality compared to ninebot. Pedals are stiff, but the sensitivity of the balancing is more delayed and less rigid. I think it's an awesome combo. It feels effortless in grass and uneven surfaces, gravel etc.. 

Hill climbing is ridiculously easy- no overheating yet. The first time I blasted the thing uphill I was laughing my ass off. :)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegcomparing ks14 to ks16 pedal height. The ks14 is very slightly higher and the ks16 has wider which results in pedal strike occurring sooner on the ks16.

i suppose the pedal height of 230mm (additional 100mm) on my usual machine has allowed me to expect more aggressive turning, however I remain disappointed the 16" wheel has poorer tilt turn than the 14" wheel.

PS. Apologies for the alternate login, was on a different computer yesterday

I do not encounter any pedal scraping problems with my unit. And I do some hard sideways leaning when cornering. Perhaps the pedal is mounted differently on the above referenced Milbay units?

And I definitely know what pedal scraping is. It was a major problem with Gotway MCM.

On another note, I am extremely impressed by King Song's build quality. The KS16 is built like a Tonka truck! I have sent my unit tumbling down and rolling in the air before hitting really HARD against solid ground surfaces multiple times already. It always turns back on no problem, and the case doesn't break.

King Song is truly the king!

Archived