Warnings should depend from current, not from speed

marc

12 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Making the wheel less responsive to the forward lean will make riding more unstable. Isnt it easier to just slowly tilt back?

In my opinion, these are two different levels. Tilt-back to notify the user that he should lower speed, and, at upper level, making the wheel less responsive instead of engine cut-off.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I forgot to mention regarding "beeps" is that not only sometimes you can't hear it due to environmental noise or music (to alert others around you) but when you ride as a group you often can't tell who's euc is beeping.  Different eucs have different limits and different users have different personal limit settings.  Hence why a SAFE physical feedback like a mild and gradual tilt-back is needed.

4 hours ago, John Eucist said:

You forgot about gravity.  :D

I live halfway up a sizeable hill in Wellington... And cyclists regularly scream past at 50-70 km/h.

I have to say though, it is quicker going up the hill on an EUC!

49 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I live halfway up a sizeable hill in Wellington... And cyclists regularly scream past at 50-70 km/h.

I have to say though, it is quicker going up the hill on an EUC?

Not sure if that was really meant to be a question but yes obviously. :)

8 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Not sure if that was really meant to be a question but yes obviously. :)

Yes,  should have been an ! not an ?

I'm constantly surprised why cyclists with 18+ gears are slogging it out in obvious pain (why don't they use more of those gears?).

But it is very satisfying to roll past them while just "standing" up. 

6 hours ago, Addwyn said:

Maybe something like a 'tilt forward' : The wheel become less and less sensitive to front lean. That is, the user must lean more and more to accelerate... ???

There is no choice of how much body leaning will accelerate how much. This is given by the physics (inverted pendulum). There is a choice how much pedal tilt leads to how much acceleration of the wheel and you are right, a softer riding mode is probably what will and should happen close to the physical limitations (it does with my MCM2). This materializes as forward tilt when the wheel drives forward. It doesn't work as an automatic deceleration however and is probably more critical if the rider is caught off the guard. If the rider goes with constant speed and does not react to the change at all (which is not likely), softening the wheel, or any "tilt forward", leads to a faceplant, while tilt back leads to the rider fall behind. (The reason why it is called tilt back is that the rider reacts instantaneously tilting the pedals back to not fall and/or keep the wheel in the same riding state.) It might be a good idea that the increasing tilt back always overcompensates for the softening tilt forward, but I wouldn't be sure.

Archived