Firmware 1.4.0

Vik's

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Michel Pot said:

The Suspension Sensivity 0 - 9.... is it the response when tilting forward/backward? I'm learning at 3, but not feel many difference changing this .

Set it to 9 then you'll notice it for sure. Yes it is the tilting of the pedals as you accelerate or decelerate. There is such a long delay before the tilt occurs that it seems very unnatural, the way Ninebot has implemented it. Gotway does this much better, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Shoe73 said:

Set it to 9 then you'll notice it for sure. Yes it is the tilting of the pedals as you accelerate or decelerate. There is such a long delay before the tilt occurs that it seems very unnatural, the way Ninebot has implemented it. Gotway does this much better, IMO. 

So 0 is more quick...9 more slower

8 hours ago, TomC said:

well, I upgraded to 1.4.0 yesterday - 

The new firmware feels a little softer - I usually rude at a 0 sensitivity setting, and set the new firmware to 0

One big problem: When rolling back and forth at a stop sign (to balance), I found I was able to "break-thru" the motor resistance and the motor/gyro simply failed to resist the movement to keep the unit upright.

This happens when I roll back and forth aggressively.  (any other aggressive riders experience this "break-thru" issue?)

I have read that going back and forth is a no no because it overworks the system. Like it was not designed to do this back and forth for long.  If you are having a problem with shutdown from idling like that, just don't do it anymore.  Step down with one leg is probably better, let the batteries rest a little.  You will get a little longer range and less heat in the electronics.

Sounds like I won't be upgrading. I'm pretty happy with 1.3.0 and I hated the pedal tilting after accelerating and during turning on 1.3.5. If 1.4.0 is indeed easier to overlean or cause a cutout it sounds like it's even worse!

On May 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM, TomC said:

The new firmware feels a little softer - I usually rude at a 0 sensitivity setting, and set the new firmware to 0

One big problem: When rolling back and forth at a stop sign (to balance), I found I was able to "break-thru" the motor resistance and the motor/gyro simply failed to resist the movement to keep the unit upright.

This happens when I roll back and forth aggressively.  (any other aggressive riders experience this "break-thru" issue?)

the paperwork that came with my NB1-P last October said do not roll forward and backwards repeatedly or aggressively or something like that. I've done it while watching the dashboard and that action raises the temp very quickly into the danger zone.

Im on firmware 1.3.5 with a N10 model up to 450 miles last time I checked. 

The thing to remember is that most people that complain about firmware are doing things the manual specifically tells you NOT TO DO. 

"Do not rock back and forth or shift your weight abruptly".

How many people are saying they don't like the way the firmware acts when you rock back and forth, or how it cuts out when you stop immediately from full speed?  Ninebot says specifically not to do that. So why are you complaining that it doesn't do exactly what you want it yo do when you do the thing you were specifically told NOT to do?  

"Always maintain contact with ground. Do not jump or perform stunts" 

Yet we get this joker saying the firmware is bad because when he rides down stairs it doesn't react exactly the way he wants.  CHECK IT OUT! DONT DO THAT!  

Don't be a fool. Ride with respect to the technology and STOP WHINING. 

On 5/25/2016 at 10:44 PM, OneWheel said:

Can anyone confirm stopping fast will not burn the circuit board on 1.40? Make sure to wear full protection before testing?

I can confirm the manual says specifically not to do that. 

13 hours ago, Gil said:

In THIS POST, it was said that, with firmware 1.3.5, the EUC was inclining more and more when you went down successive steps... Is it still the case ? 

I can confirm that the manual specifically states not to do this. I doubt much has been done in the way of fixing things the unit was never designed to do. 

Keep it easy. It is just a question. I do not criticize the firmware. I ask if a flaw that appeared with 1.3.5 has been corrected. That's all.

Just updated my P. Maybe it's the placebo from everyone saying it's smoother, but it feels smoother. I prefer this tiltback much more. 

I rode about 7 miles right after the update without issue. I didn't push it hard and I didn't go fast as I currently have a broken hand and messed up shoulder from an encounter with a pot hole last week. 

Due to the fact that the sound is not corrected, and the pedal began to rotate earlier I think that there is no reason to update to this firmware.
Ninebot, what you're thinking. I do not understand you.

The sound is not an error and to me the tiltback is better. The transition between forward to back has been changed to hopefully alleviate over current. 

I think that is plenty reason to update. I don't know what you are thinking and I don't understand you. Why don't you just go buy something else. 

Sounds like many of the voices speaking so positively of the new firmware are not really that convinced or are trying to convince themselves of the opposite. What is wrong about pushing the bot to the limit, learning tricks, etc, are you serious about "do not do anything the instructions recommend you not to do"? I have fun pushing the limit even if that means having accidents, that is what a new technology is all about. Experimenting, losing the fear. Others perhaps only use their bots in more conservative ways, go from one place to another without surprises or hassles. Thats ok too. I would have never learned to control my ninebot the way I do without this pushing the limit behaviour. What is wrong about prefering a firmware that allows a more aggressive behaviour? If you dont like it, just dont push it, I prefer having that option and not a "tamed down" firmware that only seems to try to avoid Ninebot from being sued and for scared riders. Sure it will heat up sooner (just let it rest some more) and maybe the pedals might give us a big scare or even crash, in my opinion, that is what it is all about.

Interesting information on 1.4.0 HERE (speedyfeet.uk).

Although the changes are supposed to concern only C and P, I noticed changes on my E+. The riding seems softer (more amplitude in pedal angles) and turning at low speed is easier. I changed my riding mode from 4 to 3 and it is perfect.

A check with 9BMetrics shows that there is no noticeable difference in max current, power, etc. especially when braking strongly. 

On 5/26/2016 at 9:13 AM, TomC said:

I have read that going back and forth is a no no because it overworks the system. Like it was not designed to do this back and forth for long.  If you are having a problem with shutdown from idling like that, just don't do it anymore.  Step down with one leg is probably better, let the batteries rest a little.  You will get a little longer range and less heat in the electronics.

@Gil that is interesting info about SpeedyFeet website.  It looks like anyone who has a problem with the firmware can leave feedback and so far no one has.

The fact that the firmware update seems to be targetted to the C and P models might give a clue on the real reason or changes behind the new firmware. As the new P model has not come out yet (I wonder what firmware it will bring out of factory) I suppose 1.4.0 is meant for the earlier P model. Its no surprise then that Ninebot is trying to deal with the very serious P issues by an overall taming down of this model, I ignore why the C models are included. Maybe a good way of improving this situation would be making only specific model orientated firmwares. I do not understand why Ninebot wants all models to upgrade or allows them to do so if the E models do not really need it and the differences between the models might not recommend this. Again it seems that by reducing the overall performance of the ninebots, making more rideable firmwares, smoother behaviour, they are only protecting themselves. I understand that the biggest market are less performance driven and more security based. I also think that the real ambassadors of the ninebot are those that are after the top performance, call it aggressive behaviour, those that break the rules and cross the lines.

There is one firmware for all models. They probably use a ifdef function in the code to select between models. 

If I had to guess I would say it is based off serial number. But I don't know. 

This would allow them to copy/paste to add a new model and just make changes specific to that model. 

It makes chip programming and board versions much simpler and eliminates accidently using the wrong firmware, and simplifies the firmware rollout process. 

12 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

If I had to guess I would say it is based off serial number. But I don't know.  

It is. Changing the serial number results in changing the characteristics/behaviour/speed limits and identification in app as well...

16 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

It makes chip programming and board versions much simpler and eliminates accidently using the wrong firmware, and simplifies the firmware rollout process. 

Yup.

And Ninebot/Xiaomi getting it done on other of their products - mini/mini pro..

I suspected the bad firmware updates incorrectly set the model. But that is a total guess. 

If I'm right, the parameters for all models would have been the same except the ifdef functions for the C and P parts. That is why the firmware pushes to all but does not effect all units. 

An E+ should notice no difference between 1.3.5 and 1.4

My friend who turned me on to EUCs has a ninebot 1 e bought early 2015 with now 2500 ks.

He just installed 1.4 and says ride setting 0 now feels like 4 before.

It also feels strange when idling, almost cutting out and he is most unhappy being skilled rider, now learning reverse  1 foot slalom.

He asked me to ask here is there any way he can get back to an older firmware version?

Thanks ukj

Archived