Firmware 1.4.0

Vik's

That's my opinion too... The "P" board (1.3.1) was too fragile...

But now, there is a new Mobo for 9B1 "P" : v1.3.2 with only 6 MosFets.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, vla said:
@cbgti So you have the same as me (N20 1.3.0), but I stayed on FW 1.3.5.  You tried to check max speed and wheel passed this test and is not slower.
And generally - are you driving fast and dynamically or slow and gently?
I drive in both styles, so the wheel needs to allow the fast and dynamic style too.  My FW 1.3.5 allows that, I am wondering if 1.4.0 too.

@vla :   Usually, I ride my 9B1 fast (most of time on Tiltback), but I accelerate/brake gently (in my opinion, it's the best way to avoid cut-off).
Sometime, I ride it "sport", but not very often.

I ride it in "Mode 5" and 3.0 to 3.2bars in the tyre (42-47 PSI).

I can confirm to you that my maximum speed didn't drop after updating from Fw 1.3.5 to 1.4.0.

The Tiltback starts at 22.5km/h.

Is it at the same speed for you with the Fw 1.3.5 on your 9B1 E+ N20 (Mobo 1.3.0) ?

23 hours ago, cbgti said:

@vla :   Usually, I ride my 9B1 fast (most of time on Tiltback), but I accelerate/brake gently (in my opinion, it's the best way to avoid cut-off).
Sometime, I ride it "sport", but not very often.

I ride it in "Mode 5" and 3.0 to 3.2bars in the tyre (42-47 PSI).

I can confirm to you that my maximum speed didn't drop after updating from Fw 1.3.5 to 1.4.0.

The Tiltback starts at 22.5km/h.

Is it at the same speed for you with the Fw 1.3.5 on your 9B1 E+ N20 (Mobo 1.3.0) ?

I did not know the answer, so I went for a ride to test.  I did 17km (10.5 miles) constantly testing and according to Ninebot App the tiltback starts at 23km/h (14.3mph).

Mode: 3
Pressure: around 3 (I have 2.8-3.45 bars tire)

I don't know if I screen.pngcan trust the app that this 23km/h is real speed.  Previously I tested some GPS based speedometers and they were showing me slightly different results between them.

But regarding Ninebot App - the moment it starts showing 23 or more, the tiltback comes.  22.9 is ok, 23 - tiltback.  Also, I was doing screenshots the first time today and the printscreen key combination (power + volume_down) activated the camera as the background once :).  I was pretty astonished about what is happening at first, later I realized I already saw such screens in the internet and this must be well known function.

I was also going to ask about smoothness, but I see you already answered in another topic, that it is more smooth and you like it :).

I'm less afraid to update FW now, but I'm still staying at 1.3.5 for some time at least.  @Vik's mentioned that there may be motor differences too.  One motor type may be failing while being managed by 1.4.0, another not...

Edit

I have found out that the camera background is activated by touching the screen, not by shortcut :).

But what's more important: when I was doing my screenshots, I've found out that my roll angle is wrong, it was -5.  Based on @Vik's's information and @SuperSport's video (thanks guys :)) I have calibrated the wheel.  (and BTW unfortunately I cannot get the same pitch angle as before right now.  I tried to calibrate 6 times, first five were horribly wrong, the last one is better, so I kept it this way, but it's different than I'm accustomed too.)

And I've tested tilt-back speed again: now it's 23.3km/h (14.5mph)!  There may be other reason like maybe something happened to the pressure in the tire and now speedometer gives different results, but wanted to let you know - check your roll angle, maybe calibrating can speed the bot up.

Today I was also testing using GPS app called Urban Biker.  It was jumping between 22.5 and 23.4, most of the time being 22.5 and only sometimes jumping to 23.4.  If you know android application for such speed tests, with greater accuracy, let me know.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:49 PM, SuperSport said:

Unfortunately, I'm at Sacramento International Airport right now. Will be trying it when I get back home. 

Should have brought it to ride around the terminals!  ?  Although, if it faceplants me or catches fire on the new update, that would be bad PR for EUCs. 

How often do you fly around with your EUC? Carry on?

5 hours ago, Marvin Ong said:

How often do you fly around with your EUC? Carry on?

I was picking someone up at the airport.  Unfortunately, I don't believe we can take them on planes here either.

@supersport Just going through the app again on my android phone (cheap phone from Tracfone but is a smartphone) and noticed that the firmware update does not say 1.4.0 rather says 1.3.6.  Even though the app said I have latest version installed.  So it leads me to believe that the firmware is really only 1.3.6.  Is this a Tracfone thing or what?  I thought the firmware went directly from 1.3.5 to 1.4.0.

On 6/19/2016 at 5:48 PM, steve454 said:

@supersport Just going through the app again on my android phone (cheap phone from Tracfone but is a smartphone) and noticed that the firmware update does not say 1.4.0 rather says 1.3.6.  Even though the app said I have latest version installed.  So it leads me to believe that the firmware is really only 1.3.6.  Is this a Tracfone thing or what?  I thought the firmware went directly from 1.3.5 to 1.4.0.

I heard someone else mention that too.  Mine went straight to 1.4.0.  I believe if you try to update, it actually installs 1.4.0.

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

yesterday i updated my Firmware to 1.4.0.

Immediately i recognized that the device Needs much longer to adjust drive-ready.

There always was a slightly noise to hear when driving, but after the update it is definately louder.

Somewhere in the Forum i read something about a 8 khz Sound.

Does soemone has the same or similar Problems?

Best regards

Steve

53 minutes ago, Bordello said:

Immediately i recognized that the device Needs much longer to adjust drive-ready.

Somewhere in the Forum i read something about a 8 khz Sound.

I never noticed it taking longer to adjust upright, but I haven't had any firmware issues yet either.  You might consider doing the Manual Calibration (Link in my Signature) and see if that helps any.

The sound has been discussed a lot.  It might now be louder on your wheel, and that is normal.  It should not be ear piercing, but you can hear it, especially when riding next to a wall or something like that.

Which Wheel are you riding?  E+ or P, or????

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded my firmware fairly recently, first time ever actually.  I was running on version 1.2.1 ever since it arrived from china in October 2015.

I was fearful to upgrade but the ninebot app by segway was starting to block usage due to way outdated firmware version.  So, took the plunge knowning well that version 1.4.0 was considered stable enough.

Model: C+

Only complaints about the new firmware, is the audible high pitch whine while riding.  Also, the on power on is typically slow to establish it's center.  none of these are big deals in my opinion.

I recently upgraded the battery too to the 320wh version, it's SWEET! Noticed it did increase the weight of the device by couple pounds. Ordered it from 9bot-store site. 

I have also noticed with my ninebot P on firmware 1.4.0 that, especially at low speeds, there is a "resonance" sound. is this normal?

I am not sure if this is what some are referring to as the 8 khz sound, although I believe that is a different issue.

I also see a High Speed mode setting. Does anyone know when the P's max speed can be achieved? I have read that one has to run the wheel a minimum of kms. Does High speed mode have to be selected (red) in order to reach max speed?

1 hour ago, Damarafaka said:

... Does anyone know when the P's max speed can be achieved? I have read that one has to run the wheel a minimum of kms. Does High speed mode have to be selected (red) in order to reach max speed?

I think it was 100km.

On ‎20‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 4:56 PM, SuperSport said:

I never noticed it taking longer to adjust upright, but I haven't had any firmware issues yet either.  You might consider doing the Manual Calibration (Link in my Signature) and see if that helps any.

The sound has been discussed a lot.  It might now be louder on your wheel, and that is normal.  It should not be ear piercing, but you can hear it, especially when riding next to a wall or something like that.

Which Wheel are you riding?  E+ or P, or????

Hi SuperSport,

sorry for my late answer, I was on vacation.

It's exactly how you say - not ear pearcing, but a bit clearer to hear when riding next to a wall.

I am riding the E+.

Best regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Hello all quick question should I wait till my original Ninebot One P dump me to the ground before I request a new Mobo or should I just attempt to contact Ninebot in getting a replacement now? I believe I have the original 1.3.1 mobo.

@Tishawn Fahie I think it will not drop you if you don't ride at the limit of the speed.  If you can, update to firmware version 1.4.0, the latest, at least on my E+ it says it fixes power problem on misoperation, which I hope means it will not shut off even if demanding more power than the batteries can give.  Hopefully that means tiltback and not cutout.  That brings up the question, how many Ninebots have cutout in the last few month?  I don't see that in the forum much lately, maybe it doesn't happen anymore.:huh:

@steve454 "power problem on misoperation" was featured in v1.3.5.

@Tishawn Fahie Current firmware is focused on 9b1 P. I've updated my initial post with some info from SpeedyFeet. Seems that the latest FW did something good for P models as there are no bad reports to find like @steve454 already mentioned.

Be aware - fast changes of motor driving direction (back and forth pendulum motion) is reportedly not safe and can result in cut out.

On 9/4/2016 at 7:11 PM, steve454 said:

@Tishawn Fahie I think it will not drop you if you don't ride at the limit of the speed.  If you can, update to firmware version 1.4.0, the latest, at least on my E+ it says it fixes power problem on misoperation, which I hope means it will not shut off even if demanding more power than the batteries can give.  Hopefully that means tiltback and not cutout.  That brings up the question, how many Ninebots have cutout in the last few month?  I don't see that in the forum much lately, maybe it doesn't happen anymore.:huh:

This is great news! I am on 1.4.0 but I use to ride with cautions due to previous reports! than you.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:53 AM, Vik's said:

@steve454 "power problem on misoperation" was featured in v1.3.5.

@Tishawn Fahie Current firmware is focused on 9b1 P. I've updated my initial post with some info from SpeedyFeet. Seems that the latest FW did something good for P models as there are no bad reports to find like @steve454 already mentioned.

Be aware - fast changes of motor driving direction (back and forth pendulum motion) is reportedly not safe and can result in cut out.

@Vik's Thank you very  much. I will read your report!

4 hours ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

This is great news! I am on 1.4.0 but I use to ride with cautions due to previous reports! than you.

Still ride with caution.  There are reports of wheels on 1.4.0 stopping too.  I've got a friend that has gone through 4 Motherboards on his P and E+.  At least wear a helmet and Wrist Guards/Gloves.  He got pretty beat up the last time it died, and that was only going 7mph.  At 15mph, it will likely be bad.

I have 1.4.0 on my E+ and have NEVER had a failure, but I ride very cautiously.  At higher speeds, it only takes a small mistake to have the wheel cut out.

6 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I have 1.4.0 on my E+

@SuperSport my main screen on the app shows 1.4.0 and everytime I select check for firmare updates it tells me that the latest version is installed.  But when I select the info icon on that screen it has 1.3.5 at the top of the list, released 12-16-2015 and tells what changes were made.  But 1.4.0 does not show on that screen, so I don't know what changes were made.  I am on android, I think you use IOS.  Does your app say what was changed on 1.4.0?  I seem to remember 1.4.0 released in March.

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

@SuperSport my main screen on the app shows 1.4.0 and everytime I select check for firmare updates it tells me that the latest version is installed.  But when I select the info icon on that screen it has 1.3.5 at the top of the list, released 12-16-2015 and tells what changes were made.  But 1.4.0 does not show on that screen, so I don't know what changes were made.  I am on android, I think you use IOS.  Does your app say what was changed on 1.4.0?  I seem to remember 1.4.0 released in March.

Mine on iOS does not show the Change Log for 1.4.0 either.

I just know that it became even smoother than 1.3.5.  And, I believe the whistle sound got a little quieter.  It also tilts back sooner, but can still ride the same speed.  Hard to describe, it's almost like it's letting you know without actually stopping you.  Of course, at 13 mph, it still does the real tilt back.

Both myself and a guy I ride with noticed the smoothness immediately, especially when turning slowly.  It's much different.  Like riding on glass.

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

noticed the smoothness immediately,

Me too, feels smoother and it set the riding sensitivity to 3 to start, I was using level 1, but prefer 3 now.  There is a little give when accelerating or braking fast but it levels right out while cruising.

Archived