Hand strap

hyiu00

Previously I can tie hand strap to the unicycle to protect it from rolling away in case I loose control.  But the new unicycle (Ninebot A1) will disable the balance function if the handle is pulled.  Is it safe to still tie the hand strap?  What happen if I pull it while riding?

48 minutes ago, hyiu00 said:

Previously I can tie hand strap to the unicycle to protect it from rolling away in case I loose control.  But the new unicycle (Ninebot A1) will disable the balance function if the handle is pulled.  Is it safe to still tie the hand strap?  What happen if I pull it while riding?

If ALL three of the following conditions are true then it's probably safer not to use a strap :) :

1) The handle is the only place you can secure the strap

2) Motor turns off even if there is weight on the pedals

3) Motor turns off even when the wheel is already spinning

1 hour ago, hyiu00 said:

What happen if I pull it while riding?

Can you try a test? Pull on the handle with your strap while travelling really slowly. Better to find out when you are prepared, and you can report back. 

I have thought about using something like a Kensington Lock anchor plate as a light security device, and that could be attached to a retractable locking tether. I actually would prefer that something break if the tether was pulled really hard, imagine if your EUC runs into traffic, gets hit by a car, and you're pulled along with it because you wrapped a sturdy strap around your waist!

I agree with weak tether idea. One easy way to do is using some kind of  clothes line. One end attaches to the wheel. Other end attaches to the waist belt. But in case of wheel running off with force, it should break somewhere. I'm thinking of having a some kind of weak chain link  in the middle that should break open in the event of strong force. So one end of tether attaches to the wheel and the other end attaches to the weak chain link. The rest of the tether attaches to the weak chain link to the waist belt. Should it work?

weaklink.png

I do not want to try riding on it to try this feature, but when I roll the Ninebot A1 on the floor and suddenly raise the handle, it immediately turn the balance off.  I don't think they put weight sensor on it.  This is a dangerous feature to have by default for the new rider.  Luckly I can use app to turn it off.  I do not want to turn it on until I get familiar with riding. 

2 hours ago, hyiu00 said:

I do not want to try riding on it to try this feature, but when I roll the Ninebot A1 on the floor and suddenly raise the handle, it immediately turn the balance off.  I don't think they put weight sensor on it.  This is a dangerous feature to have by default for the new rider.  Luckly I can use app to turn it off.  I do not want to turn it on until I get familiar with riding. 

Wow, that sounds dangerous. Is the handle spring loaded? I would be afraid it might be knocked enough by a bump to activate the switch.

23 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Wow, that sounds dangerous. Is the handle spring loaded? I would be afraid it might be knocked enough by a bump to activate the switch.

Yes spring loaded.  But I do not trust it completely, so I don't even use the strap now and completely turn off this function.

The handle is being ignored when there is some load and speed on the wheel. But when rolling it by hand there is not enough load and then the security feature is being used (like when you get off it and pick EUC up the stairs). Info confirmed by a seller that tried it.

Archived