Using eWheel in crowded city full of pedestrians

johnc415

​it seems like this was an issue plaguing a decent # of the wheels. did a search in the forum and found this post about claimed vs actual distance per wheel and battery size. if this is true, it seems a good number of the wheel manufacturers, even the better known ones, are exaggerating their specs. I will inform you once I get to try mine later this week

​Indeed, but people only had the intuition of being cheated on the battery capacity. Now I have data and numbers to back it up.

Note that the cheating is by some sellers, not all. With Firewheel, I have had no such problem, the 260Wh battery value was sincere (in fact, I manage to full-charge up to 280Wh).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Indeed, but people only had the intuition of being cheated on the battery capacity. Now I have data and numbers to back it up.

Note that the cheating is by some sellers, not all. With Firewheel, I have had no such problem, the 260Wh battery value was sincere (in fact, I manage to full-charge up to 280Wh).

​hobby, i noticed you sell the charge doctor. do you have pics of testing the charging on the gotway 14? what full charge did you get to, 260wh only? could you post?

Hi john,

I've posted it here, with pictures and values : http://trottinetteselectriques.heberg-forum.fr/sutra22051_autonomie-reelle-gotway-340.html#22051

I can only charge 300Wh no matter what. There is no doubt of cheating by GW. Unscrew the cover and look at the battery label, you'll see a handwritten 340Wh marking. They think nobody would check the real value so they could get along with that.

Oh come on, Gotway, what a joke !

So I've started taking my EU along for my morning commutes now in NYC. It's been a blast and now I'm saving a good chunk by not taking the awful NYC subways! :)

This morning was my first commute in the rain and a word of advice: do not use an umbrella while riding!

I went a good 5 or so minutes holding an umbrella, feeling cool that while the bikers next to me were getting rained on, I had my hands to use an umbrella and not get wet. Then, 1 of 2 things (or both) happened: I either gained too much speed or a gust of wind got under the umbrella! It was a terrifying few seconds as I realized the situation and tried to not lose balance. After a short struggle, I fell down but b/c I was holding my umbrella (instinctively I didn't let go - I think I didn't want it to fly off my hand and into the street or someone else's face), I scraped my right ring finger. It got bloodied a little below the nail; my gloves prevented further scraping on my palms. All in all, I got away with minor damage but you've been warned! I felt real stupid afterwards... Of course the umbrella would mess with your balance! why hadn't I thought of that!? But before trying it, the thought never even came close to crossing my mind... hahaha

(instinctively I didn't let go - I think I didn't want it to fly off my hand and into the street or someone else's face)

I've read somewhere that this is actually a naturally evolved instinct on humans, and because of that you should never hold even a can of soda or cellphone in your hand while rollerskating (or riding an EUC, for that matter). Probably it traces back to time when humans were carrying their offspring in their hands, the natural reaction is to save the child you're holding (but pretty much anything you're holding will cause the same thing) if you fall down.

I've read somewhere that this is actually a naturally evolved instinct on humans, and because of that you should never hold even a can of soda or cellphone in your hand while rollerskating (or riding an EUC, for that matter). Probably it traces back to time when humans were carrying their offspring in their hands, the natural reaction is to save the child you're holding (but pretty much anything you're holding will cause the same thing) if you fall down.

Agreed, should not hold anything while riding! When I go night-riding, I do bring a small flash light that I hold sometimes. The headlamp I wear isn't enough to see all the crevices and road surfaces and it helps immensely!

They have already invented the solution to this problem! :lol: http://www.orientaltrading.com/umbrella-hat-a2-5_580.fltr

Lol oh boy, as if we don't cause enough attention to ourselves on our EU's, this would really make get ppl to notice us while we look like clowns! In all seriousness though, I think a nice bucket hat would prove to be the best available head-rain protection while riding camo bucket hat

An even better solution. Air umbrella.

http://www.gizmag.com/air-umbrella-force-field-dry/34237/

Interesting idea, def would not bite seeing the price, weight, and practicality. However, wouldn't the air field still cause imbalance while riding? you're flying one way with wind resistance, you have this device shooting air the other way; I would think it would make for a quick disaster...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now I have some experience in riding some of European countries: Sweden(Jönköping), Denmark(Copenhagen), Germany(Hamburg) and Netherlands(Amsterdam) and Finland(Turku&Helsinki).

- The police did not stop me. At least in three cities I rode in front of police station. Some times I rode past the police. I ride with confidence, so maybe that helps.

- In city streets 90% of brain capacity must follow the traffic so only go there when riding only takes 10%.

- Sidewalks work but not when they are full of tourists. Riding among pedestrians is a lot of fun. Following several "targets" at the same time and estimating opening routes and irregular pedestrian movement, fun fun fun.

- Bike lanes are good to use in Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Airwheel is slower than the fastest bicycles, so give way. It took me 2-3 days in a city before my Airwheel started beeping again of overspeed because I was too busy watching the cities. It was easy to leave my car far and then fetch the stuff I need with Airwheel.

- One beer does not affect my riding too much. I can still ride, but have to be more careful. Never fell after "afterwheeling".

Highlights:
- Night ride in Amsterdam small streets, wow. Slaloming the poles dividing the sidewalk and road, wow.
- Some central park in Hamburg and the routes near water, wow.
- Walk-only streets in Copenhagen and balancing the wheel while going walking speed, fun.
- Riding along the river in Turku, wow.

Someone yelled me at Copenhagen "What if somebody steals you that?"

What to think? I did not stop to chat. But what if somebody steals your bike? Same thing when these things get more popular and thieves might actually know how to ride.

Also there was a Segway tour for tourists in Copenhagen. I rode behind them and yelled "Oh my god I lost my other wheel, what do I do, what do I do now?!" :)

Also there was a Segway tour for tourists in Copenhagen. I rode behind them and yelled "Oh my god I lost my other wheel, what do I do, what do I do now?!"

:)

Lol ! Some times ago, I rode alongside a little girl on her bike. She told her mom : "he has a bike for poor people, he has just one wheel". :blink:

Someone yelled me at Copenhagen "What if somebody steals you that?"

What to think? I did not stop to chat. But what if somebody steals your bike?

Never made the experience of getting stolen a bike? I can tell you, then it's gone. 

Same thing when these things get more popular and thieves might actually know how to ride.

The question is not so much whether the thief can ride it, but whether the thief can make money out of it. I just was at an event where ten-or-so bags were stolen from the wardrobe area. Mine included, which covered my EUC. They didn't take the EUC, only the bag. In fact, they only searched the bags for money and throw them away afterwards, so we found them a few hours later somewhere around. 

Sooner than later EUCs will have anti-theft protection included by default. Still, like with bikes, at some point in future, I guess it's still a few years, we will need to secure them physically. 

Never made the experience of getting stolen a bike? I can tell you, then it's gone. 

Stolen while riding it? That was my point.

Stolen while I'm not riding it? Of course. Everything can be stolen. Good thing about EUCs is you don't have to leave them outside.

Stolen while riding it? That was my point.

:-) LOL, I believe this would be called robbery then? I am still not getting the question. What if? Well, then it's gone (unless you have a suicidal attitude and try to stand your ground, in which case your life might be gone as well, not likely though).

If someone tried to rob me, I'd give them the Firewheel. It's a choice between them hurting me or having them hurt themselves. :P They'd ride off for a minute, crash, and I'd run over and get the wheel. If they tried to carry it off I am pretty sure it would be hard for them to carry the 14kg for very long so the only possibility they'd have to get away is if they had a car nearby. 

If someone tried to rob me, I'd give them the Firewheel. It's a choice between them hurting me or having them hurt themselves. :P They'd ride off for a minute, crash, and I'd run over and get the wheel. If they tried to carry it off I am pretty sure it would be hard for them to carry the 14kg for very long so the only possibility they'd have to get away is if they had a car nearby. 

Actually that was my point. The person who shouted haven't actually thought about it further. It's a new thing he sees and he can't make an analogy of it to an ordinary bike.

Archived