I got my new KS18A

johrhoj

27 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Hey guys,
I might have a problem with my KS18A?!
I bought this KS18 1200w/1360Wh from Aliexpress.com and it came with a wrong controller inside. I could only set it up to 30km/h max. It did not accept any higher speed. But it was all the time rock solid and safe to ride. Firmware was v1.14 and later I updated to v1.20 which was still the same speed and driving feeling.

I contacted the seller and he sent me a replacement controller. On this one I am able to set the speed limit to 40km/h BUT it is now not as stable as before! It (angles) much more. Specially on low speed and I feel not as safe as befor. It is doing weird things! When I make a left turn it always angles forward, when I make a right turn it angles backward. (Battery Indicator to the front) And somethimes it is so much that I loos the comfortability to ride it and it makes me almost fall down! Firmware is v1.20 and I tried many times level calibration. Cycling mode is player mode but feels still to soft.

Do you experience any similar issues??

-Also somewhere I read that the USB pot has 2A charging current but on mine it brings only 0.5A!
-Light control from the app and voice control are not working!

This sounds like the Motor does not go with your control board or with the Version you installed...perhaps you know have a 1.20 FW from the KS16 on your Controller?...

That light and voice control do not work....as i know only the KS16 is working with the light and voice...

No the controller came with V1.18 and I updated to FW v1.20 via the app. And the App says KS18A+
It is the controller from a new KS18. The seller dismantled it for me.
On my motor is written 1200W.

good to know about the Light and voice control!

Übrigends, bin auch deutscher ;)

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

-Also somewhere I read that the USB pot has 2A charging current but on mine it brings only 0.5A!

Must always remember, that device what is charging, is saying what current is used.

For example, if you have two chargers, 1A and 5A @ 5vdc, still your phone will determine current.
Most likely you get about 0.4-0.8A, even from 5A power supply.

edit: not related to euc, but on my video at point off 0:10->

My S7e was connected to 5vdc/3A port, and it only took 0.8A.

In same port some huawei phone took around 0.62A.

End of video is demo how quick charge 2.0 works, s7e got just new firmware and i noticed change in charging.
With old fw, when screen was open, it used 5vdc and about 0.8A, when screen closed it asked more voltage from charger and goes up to 9vdc/~15W, instead of 4w @ 5vdc.
Now it charges 9v/6w when screen is open.

Another thing, 

does someone know the maximum temperature for the controller and if there will be a overheat protection? My app last time showed 68 degrees. What will be the maximum?

2 hours ago, Stefan said:

does someone know the maximum temperature for the controller and if there will be a overheat protection? My app last time showed 68 degrees. What will be the maximum?

At 70°C the pedals go into 15° tilt-back. My experience from the riding the 14C for over six months, is that you can be cruising hard, but then if you slow down, because there is less airflow to the control-board's heat-sink, it increases temperatures & forces a dismount. 

8 hours ago, Stefan said:

Another thing, 

The reason the app showed 68 and not 70 is because the temperature readings in the app are "lagging behind" the actual temperature timewise. If you look at the app at the moment you get overheating beeps and tiltback it will show 68 but if you continue looking for a few more moments it will most likely show 70 before starting to go down.

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

At 70°C the pedals go into 15° tilt-back. My experience from the riding the 14C for over six months, is that you can be cruising hard, but then if you slow down, because there is less airflow to the control-board's heat-sink, it increases temperatures & forces a dismount. 

I dont think there is a lot of airflow on the control board even when riding fast . There is some air movement on the heat sink above the wheel but it doesnt appear to me that this has much effect on cooling. In my experience, apart from additional loading when going uphil, overheating is caused by rapid accelerations and braking. The reason the wheel often overheats easier when going slow than when going fast is because when one is going fast, there is usually not much change in torque applied, to speed up or brake. When going slow one has an opportunity for rapid accelerations, manouvering around things, braking/ stopping which are more frequent around pedestriancs or other obstacles.

On 7/2/2016 at 1:08 AM, Cloud said:

I dont think there is a lot of airflow on the control board even when riding fast .

There are many mornings in Miami where the ambient temperature is >90°F. During my 7.5mile commute, the moment I stop towards the end of the journey, it goes into over-temperature. I've experimented with extending the journey to 10 miles, & provided I keep the pace up, the airflow is enough to keep it from peeking over the 70°C threshold. 

Of course weight & riding style also effect if/when the board will go into over-temperature. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎25 at 8:35 PM, WakefulTraveller said:

Wow, with a 40 km/h speed, this wheel is amazing. The one thing holding me back from making the purchase is the short pedals, which is a real bummer. 

Where can you buy this in the US?

Don't go in 40 kmh , my advice is max 30 kmh , it's not worth the risk or you might learn the hard way as I did

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 2Highjumper said:

What happened? Bad injured ?

old news  , i'm fine now , going on my euc every day , I turned off the first 2 alarms and set the last 2 on 40 and was going to fast , I heard beeping but when it stopped beeping then I thought I had slowed down but not at all , I was going much to fast , fell into the asphalt , broke arm and shoulder joint.. , atleast I wouldn't risk going faster than 35 kmh , it's good to have some safety limit , specially with my weight 106 kg

45 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

old news  , i'm fine now , going on my euc every day , I turned off the first 2 alarms and set the last 2 on 40 and was going to fast , I heard beeping but when it stopped beeping then I thought I had slowed down but not at all , I was going much to fast , fell into the asphalt , broke arm and shoulder joint.. , atleast I wouldn't risk going faster than 35 kmh , it's good to have some safety limit , specially with my weight 106 kg

I guess at least 90% of the KS18 users are about that weight and comparative height just like me :)  but for that the KS18 ist just perfekt.

40kmh is very fast. My comfortable speed is between 30-35kmh but that can be fast enought to get hurt badly. Glad that you recovered well !

4 hours ago, 2Highjumper said:

I guess at least 90% of the KS18 users are about that weight and comparative height just like me :)  but for that the KS18 ist just perfekt.

40kmh is very fast. My comfortable speed is between 30-35kmh but that can be fast enought to get hurt badly. Glad that you recovered well !

Yes , I think it should be no problem to fall in 40 kmh but I was maybe unlucky , at the same time I was lucky that I didn't need surgery or a cast and recovered fast , i'm back  B) 

Archived