Gotway 14" 340wh vs 680wh

Hi,

I'm in the market to buy my first EU.

I've been looking around and it's not easy to decide to go with the GotWay 14" or the Ninebot E+. I'm leaning towards the Gotway since has a little more power and its cheaper.

Anyway, I'm considering the 340wh version but I'm unsure if it can later be upgraded to 680wh?

Is all the wiring included in the 340wh version and to make it a 680wh would be to just buy another battery or do I need to make other modifications if I plan to get longer range?

Thanks

You can parallel another battery with the existing battery. It requires soldering on 4 wires (2 big power wires and 2 finer charging wires). Other than that, no additional mod is required. You can easily add a 170Wh but to cram in a 340 Wh probably requires more work (for reasons too long to explain).

680Wh is definitely something extreme, I doubt you'll need such capacity everyday. But you will carry its weight everyday.

Here is a video of the GW18" internals, the principle of how batteries are paralleled applies to the GW14 : https://www.facebook.com/Vfufun/videos/o.819824711409186/10206893397798675/?type=2&theater

Here is a video of the GW18" internals, the principle of how batteries are paralleled applies to the GW14 

Those battery packs are just huge :D  Is that 850Wh?

Hi,

I'm in the market to buy my first EU.

I've been looking around and it's not easy to decide to go with the GotWay 14" or the Ninebot E+. I'm leaning towards the Gotway since has a little more power and its cheaper.

Anyway, I'm considering the 340wh version but I'm unsure if it can later be upgraded to 680wh?

Is all the wiring included in the 340wh version and to make it a 680wh would be to just buy another battery or do I need to make other modifications if I plan to get longer range?

Thanks

​Upgrading GW14 to larger batteries afterwards probably costs more than buying the 680Wh version in the first place (you at least need to pay for the battery shipment separately, and I don't know if resellers sell only the batteries or if you have to order them directly from China from the factory), plus you avoid the hassle of installing them yourself, but of course, like hobby16 said, it's heavier. I'm definitely upgrading my F260 to have another 264Wh pack in parallel, the 20+km range just isn't enough for me  ;)

On the MCMV2S the 340Wh and 680Wh models are built quite differently.

On the 680Wh the control board is fixed horizontally across the top of the two shell halves and on the 340Wh the board is in one side and a battery fills the other.

I recommend you always go for the biggest battery available if you can afford it as it's much nicer riding on a well charged battery than one that's half empty.

Even if you never need the other half of available power the battery will last longer if it is kept well charged and never run very low.

Thanks everyone, very informative.

I'm still trying to decide in which to go, 9b1 e+ or GW14.

I've been convinced that the GW14 had more power and more top speed, however I still didnt find accurate data on how fast do the GW14 can go.

On this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8fz2C6RK0 it tops at 23km/h max measured by radar, the 9b1 e (not e+) measured 21km/h on the same test. I would assume that the improved E+ could match the GW14.

Anyone had tested both? The GW14 is really ugly but if its the best I'd go for it.

On this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8fz2C6RK0 it tops at 23km/h max measured by radar, the 9b1 e (not e+) measured 21km/h on the same test. I would assume that the improved E+ could match the GW14.

Anyone had tested both? The GW14 is really ugly but if its the best I'd go for it.

That's weird, ​vee73 tested the Gotway 14" MCM2s 680Wh top speed, and got 33km/h out of it before shutdown: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/111-i-plan-to-test/?do=findComment&comment=1901  Has something changed since? 33km/h is pretty high for a 14" wheel though, imagine it hitting a larger pothole at that speed... :D 

Edit: I don't speak german, but maybe the testers are idiots and stop accelerating on the first warning, did it come at 23km/h? ;)

Really weird.  Could there be a difference between 340wh vs 680wh other than battery?

Anyone else has tried both? Or the three of them including the 9b1?

That's weird, ​vee73 tested the Gotway 14" MCM2s 680Wh top speed, and got 33km/h out of it before shutdown: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/111-i-plan-to-test/?do=findComment&comment=1901  Has something changed since? 33km/h is pretty high for a 14" wheel though, imagine it hitting a larger pothole at that speed... :D 

My GW14 340Wh will be delivered tomorrow, I've just received today a SMS from DHL. It was ordered and payed 10 days ago.

I will compare it to my cherished Firewheel 16", anything cruising at less than 25km/h won't do :D

Found these on the Gotway 14-topic under reviews:

• Once speed reaches 20 km/h, one beep per second
  • Once speed reaches 23 km/h, 2 beeps per second
  • Once speed reaches 25 km/h, 3 beeps per second

I don't speak german but I'm betting they just stopped accelerating at the 2 beeps warning... :D

Edit: @hobby16 : Congrats on the new wheel, hope you have fun! :) 

@esaj My concern is, if the Gotway has a top speed of 25/26kmh by the wheels reading, it would translate into 22/23kmh in real speed since I've seen so many reports that the wheel inflates the speed by at least 10%.

If this is true, the Gotway 14 would pretty much have the same top speed of the ninebot e+.

The only way to really know this is by someone that had ridden both wheels and can tell by feel the difference in torque or even in top speed. They both use a 500w motor, being the 9b1 e+ a recent and improved version which makes me believe that it would at least match the gotway 14 performance.

@esaj My concern is, if the Gotway has a top speed of 25/26kmh by the wheels reading, it would translate into 22/23kmh in real speed since I've seen so many reports that the wheel inflates the speed by at least 10%.

If this is true, the Gotway 14 would pretty much have the same top speed of the ninebot e+.

I don't have either Ninebot or GW, but I'm lead to believe the top speed is higher. Also Gotway 14" hasn't got tilt-back (or you could disable it from the app, don't remember which?), which is both a good and a bad thing (good in the sense that driving fast with pedals tilted high is difficult and cumbersome, bad in the sense that you must then rely on the audio-warnings, which can be hard to hear with wind or other noise).

Here's from http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/43-review-of-the-gotway-14-mcm-from-the-perspective-of-a-solowheel-owner/ :

On my GPS app on my Samsung phone, the GW14 indicated that I was able to travel at an average speed of 25kph.  I was able to hit a indicated split-second top speed of 31kph on a slight downhill slope before hitting the top speed beep warning and cutoff.  

Granted that even GPS speed measurement isn't that precise, would need a bike computer set with wheel diameter taking into account how much the tire pushes in with weight for accurate readings... Still, based on what I've read, I'd expect GW14 to be faster than Ninebot One E+, but not sure how nice it is to ride a 14" wheel at those speeds (for example, 14" can get stuck in a pothole a lot easier than 16", even though the diameter difference doesn't sound a lot, and larger/heavier wheels are usually more stable at higher speeds).

Need someone with GW14 MCM2s to chime in with more accurate measurements...

Edit: I don't speak german, but maybe the testers are idiots and stop accelerating on the first warning, did it come at 23km/h? ;)

Yes, they where talking about NOT going max speed. its their first gotway so they where a bit afraid ;-)

Hi, btw :-)

The video of the test found that the driver had little experience EUC run. So I do not think that they have tried to run at maximum speed.
According to my information Gotway 14 is only one example. Only batteries vary in size. Gotway 14 inch Right tested maximum speed is up to my view, sufficient.
It seems really hard to drive the speed to 30kmh. While the 18 inch does not seem anywhere.

As I recall, the 14-inch Gotway is the fastest. Faster are bigger, such as. Rockwheel 16inch, just a little faster.

With the Gotway you can turn off the first and second beep warnings and only use the third one which comes in at 25kph.

I find the beeps quite loud, annoyingly so sometimes.

Then as a final warning you can set the vibration on your phone via the app. The upper vibration warnings you can set via the Gotway app are 25kph and 28kph, so if you are crash averse :) a vibration setting of 28kph should give you a true relatively safe top speed of 25kph after adjustment for the Gotway inaccuracy is allowed for.

Well, got my GW 14 680 for a week and as I was completely new to SBUs, I was not aware of possible cut offs. What I've assumed from my experience beep tresholds seem to be for 23, 25 and 28. I did push way over 28 and experienced first cut off with my 90 kg body - my knee, elbow and wrist pads payed off well and I had only 2 scratches on my knees and one on forearm. However the point is, that I don't ever want to try odds again with the max speed.

If you connect your BT app and rise the wheel from the ground, it accelerates the spins, so you get to cca 37 km/h before cut off. You can also catch the beep frequency change starting at 23 km/h.

So I assume, that on fully charged battery, it is possible to get to 33 km/h as stated before, however I do not recommend it (the wheel was stable though even in such speed).

I would be pleased, if the manufacturer made a possible parametric setting of tiltback feature up to 28 km/h (the feature is allready present as when you get it from the factory, there is that annoying 6 km/h tiltback turned on and you need the app to swith it off).

Well, got my GW 14 680 for a week and as I was completely new to SBUs, I was not aware of possible cut offs. What I've assumed from my experience beep tresholds seem to be for 23, 25 and 28. I did push way over 28 and experienced first cut off with my 90 kg body - my knee, elbow and wrist pads payed off well and I had only 2 scratches on my knees and one on forearm. However the point is, that I don't ever want to try odds again with the max speed.

If you connect your BT app and rise the wheel from the ground, it accelerates the spins, so you get to cca 37 km/h before cut off. You can also catch the beep frequency change starting at 23 km/h.

So I assume, that on fully charged battery, it is possible to get to 33 km/h as stated before, however I do not recommend it (the wheel was stable though even in such speed).

I would be pleased, if the manufacturer made a possible parametric setting of tiltback feature up to 28 km/h (the feature is allready present as when you get it from the factory, there is that annoying 6 km/h tiltback turned on and you need the app to swith it off).

Welcome to the forums! Sorry about your fall, but glad you had safety gear and didn't have any serious injury. :)

I've also "played around" with testing the max speed of Firewheel, but luckily never reached the cut off speed (with my 57kg + safety gear weight, 31.5km/h measured with bike computer without head wind wasn't enough for cut off, and I don't want to try it any faster, that was enough for me :D). The Firewheel cuts off around 40km/h when lifted off ground (tested with the same bike computer), but as the cut off is probably related to voltage drop or current load, I believe it will be lower when really riding it (more power needed to move the additional weight etc).

So, while vee73 has reached the speed of 33km/h before cut off on 14" Gotway, I doubt if Gotway is using the motor rpm for the cut off either (otherwise I'd expect it to occur at the same speed as with the lifting test), but probably voltage and/or current... Meaning, that while vee73 with his (if I recall correctly) around 65kg weight can reach 33km/h before cut off, the speed may not be the same with different weight riders, more air drag (head winds etc) or other conditions affecting it, as the power needed to reach or maintain the speed and balance is different.

Instead of the monotone beep pattern I would prefer tone and volume change in warning the close to top speed increase in frequency and volume, who is counting four beeps as you are falling on your face? Miminum requirements of an eu should be 25 km/h and Bluetooth, or go with the classy arty of the Ninebot, owner of Segway...

I've had 2 or 3 "flying lesson" but have not had what I would call a cut off speed, it's more of a cut off event. I'll be travelling quite happily close to the limit with the final beeps cutting in and out and then I'll go over what to my eye seems like a minor ridge or bump or possibly even a dip and it's that tiny extra power requirement that causes the failure and my "take off". :)

I hope you're well and I wish you a prompt recovery. I had the same mishap at the same moment !

About speed, I would say that Gotway is untrusworthy on many counts. First, the displayed speeds (the ones you see in the android app, in real time or in parameters) is systematically 3km/h too high compared to the real speeds measured by a bike computer with better than 0.1% accuracy (I've just installed one last WK : http://trottinetteselectriques.heberg-forum.fr/ftopic1384_montage-compteur-kilometrique-v2.html )

DSCN1771_small.jpg

Second, the warning speed is hugely variable, I can confirm it again this morning. When climbing or with low battery, the GW can beep (three beeps & continuous beep, it's not alway clear) at 10km/h or 15km/h while in good conditions, it beep around 21 km/h (real speeds, not Gotway's speed).

But what piss me off most is GW is never straightforward about the warning that the wheel will cut off power, (yeah cut off power, on an unicycle !) at high speed, presumably to ... prevent you from being harmed. I don't see it written by them anywhere, had I seen, I would never have bought the GW14". I suspect they don't write it down in any English user manual (and maybe not in their Chinese manual either) since it's such a stupid feature that they would have huge legal problem if it were widely known. Consider McDo's lost a case against a customer who dropped a too hot cup of coffee on her pant, got burned, sued and won millions, imagine what would cost Gotway for breaking some customers' legs or shoulder because of a demonstrated negligence and malpratice.

So, while vee73 has reached the speed of 33km/h before cut off on 14" Gotway, I doubt if Gotway is using the motor rpm for the cut off either (otherwise I'd expect it to occur at the same speed as with the lifting test), but probably voltage and/or current... Meaning, that while vee73 with his (if I recall correctly) around 65kg weight can reach 33km/h before cut off, the speed may not be the same with different weight riders, more air drag (head winds etc) or other conditions affecting it, as the power needed to reach or maintain the speed and balance is different.

​I confirm 100%. The cut off speed is variable and not dependent on fixed thresholds. Which means that the thresholds in the Android apps are misleading and outright dangerous since it leads the user to believe he can ride up to 28km/h without risking a cutoff.

That means also that riding with the beep inhibited (like on Firewheels or any other wheels which have a tilt-back warning) is impossible on a Gotway since the beep is the unique and only warning of imminent take-off.

Gotway as far as I know have always said that the final warning beeps are not speed related but power related and then go on to say the speed they should roughly come in on a flat road with a charged battery.

Gotway as far as I know have always said that the final warning beeps are not speed related but power related and then go on to say the speed they should roughly come in on a flat road with a charged battery.

​Hmm.   I've always wondered about this.   If beeps and the cutoff both happen when you lift the wheel off the gound and let it run.  However, when the wheel is freewheeling like this in mid-air it hard to imagine that takes much power... i mean just think about how much effort it would be for you spin the wheel that fast.. no much right?  At lest not much compared to effort to a 170 lbs guys up a steep hill.   So... how can it be power related in that case?   Am I missing something?  Do BLDC motors consume huge amounts of power simply due to RPM when there is rotations resistance?  

I guess it would be easy to tell, just hook up an ammeter to a wheel while you run it in mid-air.... has anyone tried this?

I've always assumed that most of the power would be needed to get the wheel spinning, but keeping it spinning shouldn't take much power... which would mean that as long as you accelerate gradually you could get to almost any speed... which obviously you can't, which leads me to beleive that there is max speed that is *not* power related but RPM related.

Archived