Upgrade Advice, Please

Hello. I would appreciate your comments on my EUC upgrade please...

Last year I bought an Airwheel X8, initially to learn on and then for commuting and general urban use. And I am loving this as a way to get around, but as a heavier rider the X8 doesn't have the power or range for everything that I want it to do. 

My daily commute is 4~5 km each way. It is mostly flat except for the last kilometre, which is a solid uphill run varying between 5° and 12°. And with my X8 loaded up to nearly 120 kg (1× fat unicyclist + laptop + lunch + general junk) there just isn't enough power or torque to keep momentum going up that hill. 

I'm not fussed about going overly fast, most of the time. What I really need is enough grunt to manage any sudden changes in incline (the sidewalk-curb-road transition here can be brutal) and to be able to get up a reasonable hill without stopping (or overheating).

For warranty purposes I would prefer to buy off the local (New Zealand) supplier, which means I am probably looking at either a Ninebot One E+ or an IPS 191 Xima Lhotz 340. But I would consider other options if they were better suited.

All comments will be appreciated. 

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I have no personal experience, but my best guess would be that from those two, Lhotz would be more powerful. If you really want a lot of power to move around, the high-torque version of Gotway MSuper (18") would probably be the best bet (again, best guess, I don't have one ;)).

King Songs would probably be otherwise ok, but they do suffer from overheating under lot of stress (uphills & lots of weight), so probably not that suitable.

I'd suggest looking into the MCM4. Overall it's an excellent value for the price, especially if you value speed. I recently ordered the MCM4 HS 680WH (black) and I can hardly wait for it to arrive. Yet 120kg is asking a bit much for a wheel like this, the HS version anyways. The ACM 16 offers a lot of torque and a lot of speed, perhaps that would suit you best. That or the MSuper as suggested above.

@The Fat Unicyclist, I agree with @esaj, you certainly are going to want something with at least a 800-1000W (sustained) motor which really excludes e NB1E+. 

It is certainly a good idea to get something capable of getting to work and home again without recharging at work, not the least because 1kM downhill towards home is challenging for all wheels if the battery is full, you need some battery space to store the regeneratiive breaking charge whilst going downhill.

Even though your run is relatively short, big batteries also allow power to be delivered better and, at the weight you will be carrying, real range will be half or less of published range (invariably with an under 60Kg Asian rider). I would say 340Wh is pretty much the lower limit that would be acceptable, more would be better.

KingSong and Gotway are the obvious choices for big batteries and power. I agree with Esaj, that overheating might be an issue with KS, although the new KS-16 has a cooling fan. As speed is not an issue you might want to avoid the high speed (HS) versions of the Gotways as a higher top speed is at the cost of torque which is preferable with your weight and will handle bumps better.

However IPS does have a good reputation generally for hills so you might want to rephrase your question in the IPS section of this forum to ask existing LHotz users how they think the IPS would perform with your requirements.

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hello. I would appreciate your comments on my EUC upgrade please...

Last year I bought an Airwheel X8, initially to learn on and then for commuting and general urban use. And I am loving this as a way to get around, but as a heavier rider the X8 doesn't have the power or range for everything that I want it to do. 

My daily commute is 4~5 km each way. It is mostly flat except for the last kilometre, which is a solid uphill run varying between 5° and 12°. And with my X8 loaded up to nearly 120 kg (1× fat unicyclist + laptop + lunch + general junk) there just isn't enough power or torque to keep momentum going up that hill. 

I'm not fussed about going overly fast, most of the time. What I really need is enough grunt to manage any sudden changes in incline (the sidewalk-curb-road transition here can be brutal) and to be able to get up a reasonable hill without stopping (or overheating).

For warranty purposes I would prefer to buy off the local (New Zealand) supplier, which means I am probably looking at either a Ninebot One E+ or an IPS 191 Xima Lhotz 340. But I would consider other options if they were better suited.

All comments will be appreciated. 

I had the issue with overcharge protection after 150 m downhill. That's an issue its all EUs.

I've experience with your weight problem. You need st least something like Kingsong KS18 or Gotway MSuper. If you buy different you'll buy twice. At least 680 Wh battery capacity, better more to have the capacity for inclines.

An 16 inch model would be to small as I expect you're a big man. An 18" EU will have the advantage to have a bigger tyre (damping) and goes easier over steps.

My commute is 2.5 km (single trip) with a height difference of over 50m. My body weight is 110kg. 

I am riding a ninebot one E+ (every day, in rain and wind) and i recharge every 2 days. In the summer i can manage a recharge every three days, but that is almost draining the battery empty with the loss of speed in the end.

I can really recommend the ninebot one E+ for you, but the new Ninebot model may even be more suitable. 

There was a moment that the range of my nb1 went seemd down a bit, and for a moment i thought the battery was degrading, but when i pumped the tire back to full pressure, the full range of 15-18 km was back. That is after nine months of commuting daily.

Thank you all for your feedback (and comments from your own experience)!

@WakefulTraveller - you mention the MCM4, but I don't know if a 14" wheel would work so well with my weight over our roads. Below is an example of the sort of transitions I need to deal with (not that the photo does it justice)... Roads with a high camber, deep gutters and steep changes in angle. Would a 14"wheel cope with this? 

@Jurgen - thanks for the tip on the IPS 151. When I looked at the IPS website, I also saw the IPS 191+, which appears to be an (extremely) oversized 191 with a 680Wh battery and a 2KW motor. Has anyone seen / ridden one of these? This is seriously taking things to the next level!!!

20160513_091527.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Jurgen - thanks for the tip on the IPS 151. When I looked at the IPS website, I also saw the IPS 191+, which appears to be an (extremely) oversized 191 with a 680Wh battery and a 2KW motor. Has anyone seen / ridden one of these? This is seriously taking things to the next level!!!

This seems to be a very good option. What I don't understand is that it mentions the net weight of the machine as 32kgs???

3 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

This seems to be a very good option. What I don't understand is that it mentions the net weight of the machine as 32kgs???

That did seem rather heavy... But it goes with the dimensions (being 761×501×472mm). That is a monster!

But I think I might want one. 

11 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That did seem rather heavy... But it goes with the dimensions (being 761×501×472mm). That is a monster!

But I think I might want one. 

You can double check the specs with Runrui of IPS Factory. Her email is runrui.meng@iamips.com.

40 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thank you all for your feedback (and comments from your own experience)!

@WakefulTraveller - you mention the MCM4, but I don't know if a 14" wheel would work so well with my weight over our roads. Below is an example of the sort of transitions I need to deal with (not that the photo does it justice)... Roads with a high camber, deep gutters and steep changes in angle. Would a 14"wheel cope with this? 

@Jurgen - thanks for the tip on the IPS 151. When I looked at the IPS website, I also saw the IPS 191+, which appears to be an (extremely) oversized 191 with a 680Wh battery and a 2KW motor. Has anyone seen / ridden one of these? This is seriously taking things to the next level!!!

20160513_091527.jpg

Reading your requirements from the starting thread and seeing this Picture I would say you're good with a 18" EU. This starts with 680 Wh and can be upgraded to more. Stepping up from an Airwheel X8 will move you in a different world.

51 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I don't know if a 14" wheel would work so well with my weight over our roads. Below is an example of the sort of transitions I need to deal with (not that the photo does it justice)... Roads with a high camber, deep gutters and steep changes in angle. Would a 14"wheel cope with this? 

I also saw the IPS 191+, which appears to be an (extremely) oversized 191 with a 680Wh battery and a 2KW motor. Has anyone seen / ridden one of these? 

I agree with @SlowMo, the specs on the IPS191+ look perfect for your size, except for its weight which seems unbelievably heavy for a 16" wheel, you might want to email them to see if it is a typo, the 181+ also quotes the same weight?

i didn't mention wheel size in my earlier reply, I nearly bought a 16"IPS, instead of my 14" KingSong because I ride a lot of of unmade roads and tracks. Certainly, even speed bumps in the road can be challenging and took me some time to find a technique that worked and I'm only 75Kg. A few people have suggested 18" wheels, they certainly are ideal for difficult terrain and cruising but need to be weighed up against the weight and bulk which (IMHO) make them a problem if you do need to carry or leave them whilst out.

16" is, I think, a good compromise, you will still need to learn how to handle bumps, etc. and think ahead whilst riding. I remember when I was buying my KingSong @Jason McNeil, said to me that you find yourself constantly watching the road surface ahead of you, he is right, it becomes instinctive to watch for bumps, kerbs, etc so as to react to them. The technique that works for me with speed bumps and small kerbs is to quickly lean back as you meet them, that means the deceleration as you hit just tips you level again and the wheel powers over them. Going down kerbs is no problem once you realise they are no problem :-)

Hopefully, you have learned all this already with your X8. Bottom line is all the suggestions that have been made will be  better than an X8 ;-).

About the 680Wh/32kg Xima Lhotz "plus"-model:

This has caused confusion here before. It's actually two Lhotz's connected together via some form of metal pipe:

IPS191%2BPlus.png

ipselectricunicycle.com (which is NOT the IPS-factory, but a reseller, real IPS home-page is http://www.iamips.com/ ) has just added the batteries, weights and motor powers of two Lhotzes together for the specs... <_<

1 minute ago, esaj said:

This has caused confusion here before. It's actually two Lhotz's connected together via some form of metal pipe:

IPS191%2BPlus.png

ipselectricunicycle.com (which is NOT the IPS-factory, but a reseller, real IPS home-page is http://www.iamips.com/ ) has just added the batteries, weights and motor powers of two Lhotzes together for the specs... <_<

Yes. <<sigh>>

Following up with IPS (thanks to @SlowMo) I just got this response:

"That's not our website, that's from IPS reseller. We don't have that bigger battery for lhotz, the biggest lhotz is with 340wh battery and no bigger battery will fit this model, thank you."

59 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Reading your requirements from the starting thread and seeing this Picture I would say you're good with a 18" EU. This starts with 680 Wh and can be upgraded to more. Stepping up from an Airwheel X8 will move you in a different world.

I agree with @OliverH, 18" EU would be the best option according to your requirement...

1 hour ago, Keith said:

I agree with @SlowMo, the specs on the IPS191+ look perfect for your size, except for its weight which seems unbelievably heavy for a 16" wheel, you might want to email them to see if it is a typo, the 181+ also quotes the same weight?

i didn't mention wheel size in my earlier reply, I nearly bought a 16"IPS, instead of my 14" KingSong because I ride a lot of of unmade roads and tracks. Certainly, even speed bumps in the road can be challenging and took me some time to find a technique that worked and I'm only 75Kg. A few people have suggested 18" wheels, they certainly are ideal for difficult terrain and cruising but need to be weighed up against the weight and bulk which (IMHO) make them a problem if you do need to carry or leave them whilst out.

16" is, I think, a good compromise, you will still need to learn how to handle bumps, etc. and think ahead whilst riding. I remember when I was buying my KingSong @Jason McNeil, said to me that you find yourself constantly watching the road surface ahead of you, he is right, it becomes instinctive to watch for bumps, kerbs, etc so as to react to them. The technique that works for me with speed bumps and small kerbs is to quickly lean back as you meet them, that means the deceleration as you hit just tips you level again and the wheel powers over them. Going down kerbs is no problem once you realise they are no problem :-)

Hopefully, you have learned all this already with your X8. Bottom line is all the suggestions that have been made will be  better than an X8 ;-).

The IPS Lhotz 340Wh  comes in at 14kg (same as the IPS T wheel with 680Wh), it's build really solid, f.ex. the handle is made of stainless steel

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes. <<sigh>>

"That's not our website, that's from IPS reseller. We don't have that bigger battery for lhotz, the biggest lhotz is with 340wh battery and no bigger battery will fit this model, thank you."

Go for an IPS Lhotz mate.

It's powerful, same weight as the Ninebot one e+/p (13.9kg) and in my opinion the third best looking wheel after the Solowheel xtreme and Ninebot. - both of which are less powerful and have less range.

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes. <<sigh>>

Yep, already asked them the same....

I have both wheels, if the range is not a problem with only 340Wh, the Lhotz is a fine choice.

It has the advantage that it can negotiate low barriers like sidewalks better than other 16" wheels, and with the wider tire you have some limited off-road capability without having to go for a 18" wheel. 14kg is a lot to carry on public transportation and stairs, if that's what you plan to do, you'd better go for a lighter 14".

14 hours ago, esaj said:

IPS191%2BPlus.png

So now that I am looking at the real IPS website this connector is from the factory. Scroll down at http://en.iamips.com/ips191.html

Apparently to turn your two wheels into a Segway type vehicle.

But still not what I am after...

Thanks again to everyone for their experience and feedback. 

I think I will be going with a locally sourced IPS 191 LHOTZ 340... This seems to be the best model that I can get (for my needs) and with all the warranties, et cetera to ensure that it all works well for me.

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks again to everyone for their experience and feedback. 

I think I will be going with a locally sourced IPS 191 LHOTZ 340... This seems to be the best model that I can get (for my needs) and with all the warranties, et cetera to ensure that it all works well for me.

I have no Lhotz...but:

1radwerkstatt listet this Wheel As a example for a very Bad constructed Batterie.....

look here:

i would -with your weight- definitly recommend a Ks16, ks18....Gotway acm16 or msuper....each with Minimum 680wh!

safest, fastest and best wheels.....

Not quite sure what I am looking at but I am very happy with my Lhotz. I am 100kg and get a reasonable range from the batteries although if they made a 680wh model i would go for that. I really like the fat tyre and the phone app works pretty good to. My main beef with it is that the battery indicator in the power switch dont show up very well in bright light. 

Archived