Can I safely update firmware to the latest from 1.2.1

Planetpapi

I need to fix a wobbling issue with my Ninebot E+. Someone suggested to upgrade. Wondering if you guys feel safe with your latest upgrade. Will it brick my Ninebot because I haven't updated incrementally? My version is 1.2.1. Any thoughts?

Normally not uprading a ninebot is the best one can do, but I and many others have absolutely no issues with the newest firmware version ?1.3.5?.Just with the newest firmware version some PWM noise was introduced (high pitched 8kHz buzz).

but imho wobbling has nothing to do with your firmware version - it is either your stance, your balancing or some tire/wheel imbalance. Could you give more details about when and how your wobbling is exactly happening - here are many ninebot one riders to share their experience once a  problem is described in a "replicable" way...

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

Normally not uprading a ninebot is the best one can do, but I and many others have absolutely no issues with the newest firmware version ?1.3.5?.Just with the newest firmware version some PWM noise was introduced (high pitched 8kHz buzz).

but imho wobbling has nothing to do with your firmware version - it is either your stance, your balancing or some tire/wheel imbalance. Could you give more details about when and how your wobbling is exactly happening - here are many ninebot one riders to share their experience once a  problem is described in a "replicable" way...

Agreed. Wobbling is a rider issue. In my early days I wobbled, but not anymore and I never changed my firmware.

I had this wobbling on this particular wheel since day one. It certainly felt like some tire/ wheel imbalance. But when I lift the wheel to see any irregularities, the wheel seems spinning alright. Yesterday another member rode my wheel and said it could be something with balancing. So it's not my stance. Called the vendor and he suggested to upgrade before sending it back to him. 

The wobbling occurs at normal speed like 7-8 mph or slower. Never really pushed the wheel so I don't know what will happen at high speeds. 

Maybe you can find some hint at this thread - its for another whell, but who knows?

4 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

I had this wobbling on this particular wheel since day one. It certainly felt like some tire/ wheel imbalance. But when I lift the wheel to see any irregularities, the wheel seems spinning alright. Yesterday another member rode my wheel and said it could be something with balancing. So it's not my stance.

I assume balancing/stance is always the first thought (from me and the other members) because quite everyone had some wobbling experiences in the beginning. And changing to a new wheel involves new learning and getting all the "specialities" into the "muscle memory". As the ninebot for instance has the battery just on one side...

maybe it is related to the tire pressure - that the ninbot tire is more responsive than from the wheels you were used too? So you could try a little bit less pressure? Or it has way to low tire pressure (as they have normally when they are delivered) so the tire is just instable?

since you already know how to drive from other wheels, any possible trainining/usage related issues should be resolved after a couple of kilometers driving?

Called the vendor and he suggested to upgrade before sending it back to him. 

Sounds like normal service procedure - restart, update, reset and restart again... But as already stated it will hot harm, as long as you are not very sensitive to a 8kHz whistle...

Exchanging the wheel should be the easiest way to look if it was the wheel or some rider-wheel incompatibility/getting used to issue

The wobbling occurs at normal speed like 7-8 mph or slower. Never really pushed the wheel so I don't know what will happen at high speeds. 

Also would never go fast while the wheel is wobbling - sounds like a 99% chance for an accident...

18 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

I need to fix a wobbling issue with my Ninebot E+. Someone suggested to upgrade. Wondering if you guys feel safe with your latest upgrade. Will it brick my Ninebot because I haven't updated incrementally? My version is 1.2.1. Any thoughts?

Was the problem with the 1.21 the rodeo? Maybe this is your wobbling.

Looks like there're no serious errors with the latest versions, but there were reports with power cuts. So take care not speeding on max speed. I believe they let the 9b1 run faster than they've power to balance heavier weight people at higher speed. Our 9b1 is now driven by my daughter where it should have no overpower issues.

Just now, Planetpapi said:

So that's a serious problem with power cuts.

That's the reason I kept our ninebot on a 1.2x. firmware as I lost confidence in the way Ninebot maintain and test their firmware nightly builds. I know guys having no problem with the latest firmware. But this are 9b1 e+ and ours is an first batch e.

What difference did you all feel with the upgraded firmware on Ninebot one E+? More stability, more mileage, more stiff/smoothness, more safety, more this more that? I'm over 50 ( and that's a secret)  and can't afford a face plant or any serious injury for that matter that is resulting from firmware upgrades. If I fall on operator error, that's a different story. 

8 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

More stability, more mileage, more stiff/smoothness, more safety, more this more that?

Just listen to these wise words from Yngwie Malmsteen, the Swedish Meatball:

1 hour ago, Planetpapi said:

What difference did you all feel with the upgraded firmware on Ninebot one E+? More stability, more mileage, more stiff/smoothness, more safety, more this more that? I'm over 50 ( and that's a secret)  and can't afford a face plant or any serious injury for that matter that is resulting from firmware upgrades. If I fall on operator error, that's a different story. 

I'd assume that the new firmware has no relevant safety issues - there should have been much more incidents by now if this would be the case.

To increase safety a BMS that does not cut off in any case while driving should be the best solution. Imho.

Ok... this is not the previous versions.  The current version has no known issues.

Your question was " Can I safely update firmware to the latest from 1.2.1 "

and the answer is yes.  so why you continue this argument is beyond me.  Looks like you were just looking to whine.

I swapped wheels with a friend today, and riding a NB1 E+ for the first time I had the same issue. As he had been riding behind me, I showed him your "wobbly Walmart video" and he said it looked exactly the same (although I wasn't wearing pristine Levi shoes that look like they've never actually touched the ground).

What I was aware of was that the pedals were quite different to what I am used to, and I felt a very slight pressure point. Not enough to make my foot visibly "tremble," but enough that the micro-shifts magnified through to the tyre bade it wobble a lot - at least that is how it felt to me. And when my friend rides, he doesn't have that problem. 

And this makes me think... Have you tried other NB1 wheels to compare? Or had other NB1 riders try yours? And what other types of wheel have you ridden too? 

39 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I swapped wheels with a friend today, and riding a NB1 E+ for the first time I had the same issue. As he had been riding behind me, I showed him your "wobbly Walmart video" and he said it looked exactly the same.

Looking at that video myself, it seems to me that the wobbling is entirely in, what on a 'plane would be called, Yaw. I.e. A left/right movement.

If so then there is absolutely nothing in the electronics or software that could possibly cause it. You only have a square inch or so of tyre on the ground and a motor that can only exert force in a forwards/backwards direction. It cannot possibly generate a left/ right movement. The problem would have to either be mechanical, play in the wheel bearings or the wheel and main shaft not true  which ought to cause a wobble in both yaw and roll. or it has to be induced by the rider. @The Fat Unicyclist May have hit the nail on the head, it could simply be the layout of the Ninebot that causes some riders to have this problem.

Thanks for looking at the video.  Yes , couple of weeks ago another rider tried my bot and confirmed wobbling is in. And I tried his bot and it was ok. I contacted the vendor and he suggested to send it back. I  will update.  

5 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Thanks for looking at the video.  Yes , couple of weeks ago another rider tried my bot and confirmed wobbling is in. And I tried his bot and it was ok. I contacted the vendor and he suggested to send it back. I  will update.  

Now that could be your chance to upgrade firmware to 1.3.5 to see if you like it or not! =)

On 5/10/2016 at 1:24 AM, Chriull said:

Maybe you can find some hint at this thread - its for another whell, but who knows?

I assume balancing/stance is always the first thought (from me and the other members) because quite everyone had some wobbling experiences in the beginning. And changing to a new wheel involves new learning and getting all the "specialities" into the "muscle memory". As the ninebot for instance has the battery just on one side...

maybe it is related to the tire pressure - that the ninbot tire is more responsive than from the wheels you were used too? So you could try a little bit less pressure? Or it has way to low tire pressure (as they have normally when they are delivered) so the tire is just instable?

since you already know how to drive from other wheels, any possible trainining/usage related issues should be resolved after a couple of kilometers driving?

Sounds like normal service procedure - restart, update, reset and restart again... But as already stated it will hot harm, as long as you are not very sensitive to a 8kHz whistle...

Exchanging the wheel should be the easiest way to look if it was the wheel or some rider-wheel incompatibility/getting used to issue

Also would never go fast while the wheel is wobbling - sounds like a 99% chance for an accident...

On the app for Ninebot, I pressed check for firmware updates and it said I had the latest version.  (I had previously updated to 1.3.5)  On the upper right corner of my Android phone there was an information icon so clicked on it and got this.  2015/12/16 Fix problems of vehicle power on misoperation, (their spelling), Improve the ridding experience.  (Again, their spelling).  Hoping this means they altered the BMS and it protects the rider more and the battery less.  Also this means 1.3.5 has been the latest version since December 2015.  The list of updates shown had them updating about every month before that.  Anyone know what changes were actually made?

Improve the ridding experience?  To get rid of less of us I hope.

I do not believe the BMS can be updated over Bluetooth.  Also the battery safety is in my opinion much more important. That size battery has the potential to do some really scary stuff. I'll take a broken hand over catching on fire, burning my house down, or endangering my family any day. 

Archived