Overcharge protection, MSuper V2

We went yesterday out for a 2 day trip over to France and we've taken the train. The EUs were all full charged on the evening before and we've a small downhill road from our house to the railway station. After 150 m, luckily at the end of the downhill road the MSuper beeped while braking and put the pedals up. Was this an overcharging warning?

It might have been. I had my MCM3 do that once when it was overheated. You might consider buying a Charge Doctor to prevent overcharging like that from happening and to give the battery cells a much longer life. This will only cost you around 10% of your battery's total capacity.

Is it even necessary for an EUC to have this regenerative charging? I understand Toyota Prius and Nissan LEAF have this feature, but for EUC it's causing more issues than it is worth it. Just how many people know, NOT to go downhill when the battery is full? It's a face plant in disguise. 

1 hour ago, WakefulTraveller said:

It might have been. I had my MCM3 do that once when it was overheated. You might consider buying a Charge Doctor to prevent overcharging like that from happening and to give the battery cells a much longer life. This will only cost you around 10% of your battery's total capacity.

I've a charge doctor. It still logs the charging curve - it's a passive device. It doesn't prevent overcharging. If you like to get type approval in Switzerland for an EU that's one test case: Going downhill with a fully charged battery. The test track is amazing, seen a video from a motor bike rider going uphill. Our EUs have to go through some evolutions or call it revolutions. I've discussed this use case with Lizardmech month ago and the solution is so easy.

1 hour ago, Planetpapi said:

Is it even necessary for an EUC to have this regenerative charging? I understand Toyota Prius and Nissan LEAF have this feature, but for EUC it's causing more issues than it is worth it. Just how many people know, NOT to go downhill when the battery is full? It's a face plant in disguise. 

I've been for two days in France on nice bicycle tracks but also heavy inclines. My MSuper lost battery capacity in the last incline, two and a half km in front of the target - on a well frequented road. A full disaster. I wished in this moment I already had received the battery upgrade from @1RadWerkstatt to 880 Wh (need also to talk with Chris on a battery upgrade for my daughters Ninebot E (or change it to a more powerful EU in general) which also got empty in the same moment with my MSuper). We've driven for hours on nice tracks/ back roads, but the two inclines in the middle has lost so much capacity I haven't able to recuperate on the downhill tracks.

So I pushed and carried the MSuper and the 9b1 for around 2 km to be able to go downhill to the target town with a smile in the face ;)

2 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Oh no it's completely necessary if you go up a steep hill it rinses your energy, you can get quite a bit back on the descent, it would reduce range on hilly terrains.

Going down long hills is fun when you see how much energy you can get back.

If you want regen from the  go the simplest way is to limit charge to 80-90% in the first place.

Jer

9 hours ago, jer said:

Oh no it's completely necessary if you go up a steep hill it rinses your energy, you can get quite a bit back on the descent, it would reduce range on hilly terrains.

Going down long hills is fun when you see how much energy you can get back.

If you want regen from the  go the simplest way is to limit charge to 80-90% in the first place.

Jer

The MSuper really gets back some energy. But the distance and the inclines were to heavy for my weight. That's why I'm ordered an upgrade at Chris from 1RadWerkstatt for my MSuper.

9 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I've V1. I was happy to get a fully charged battery after having trouble (may be related to a bad plugged charging connector of the second battery where the plug had a problem (fall apart). This issue was fixed weeks ago.

I'm just upgrading my MSuper to 880 Wh. I'll buy a MSuper again compatible to the upcoming PLEV standard. Than the whole family needs new EUs ;)

My current MSuper will get a test mule for new generation mother boards/ motor driver.

10 hours ago, OliverH said:

I've a charge doctor. It still logs the charging curve - it's a passive device. It doesn't prevent overcharging. If you like to get type approval in Switzerland for an EU that's one test case: Going downhill with a fully charged battery. The test track is amazing, seen a video from a motor bike rider going uphill. Our EUs have to go through some evolutions or call it revolutions. I've discussed this use case with Lizardmech month ago and the solution is so easy.

Not completely passive, it can be set to stop charging when the current  drops to a preset level.

I set my to stop charging when the charge current drops below 1.8 amps.

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove is correct

An hour or so before going out  I just charge without the charge doctor to full charge (battle ready mode)

Jer

Archived