Ninebot obtains the world's first US UL2272 safety certification authorization certificate for self -balancing vehicles

Planetpapi

5 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

Unfortionately this regards the two wheelers..:( - i stopped reading one i saw the fotos. Somehow quite a pity...

These look like the super expensive models like the one the cameraman was riding when he ran over Usain Bolt. So it makes sense for them to get those certified first because they're high margin equipment sold to TV networks and others with deep pockets. I seem to recall those Segway batteries are encased in a steel box?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2015/aug/27/usain-bolt-from-the-blue-segway-floors-celebrating-world-champion-in-beijing-video

The news is partially correct. UL2272 certification was requested by Segway for Ninebot products.  Here is a brochure about UL2272 (http://industries.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/04/Hoverboards-Safety-Standards-BEST-2016.pdf).  

The goal of this certification is make sure that only UL2272 certified Ninebot products will be imported into the United States.  It will make it very difficult to import Ninebot products authorized by Segway into the United States from China.  If you have any questions about Ninebot products in the United States, please feel free to contact Segway or www.ninebot-store.com

On 5/5/2016 at 5:08 PM, Chriull said:

Unfortionately this regards the two wheelers..:( - i stopped reading one i saw the fotos. Somehow quite a pity...

Its not about two-wheelers... UL2272 is about batteries.  

47 minutes ago, Alexey said:

I assume its about battery safety and not rider safety? But I have to confess, that i did not read the link that you povided...?

7 hours ago, Alexey said:

The news is partially correct. UL2272 certification was requested by Segway for Ninebot products.  Here is a brochure about UL2272 (http://industries.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/04/Hoverboards-Safety-Standards-BEST-2016.pdf).  

The goal of this certification is make sure that only UL2272 certified Ninebot products will be imported into the United States.  It will make it very difficult to import Ninebot products authorized by Segway into the United States from China.  If you have any questions about Ninebot products in the United States, please feel free to contact Segway or www.ninebot-store.com

You are kinda both wrong:) . Ul2272 is not only about 2 wheelers. Its about eucs as well. All self balancing scooters. It' s also not just about batteries. Its about how batteries and chargers work as part of the scooter. I spoke to the consumer product safety commission and i also spoke with the UL lab about this.

Archived