How much money have you sunk into this crazy EUC hobby?

Let's see....

1.  One generic 14" EUC - $229 USD or about $280 CDN with free shipping on AliExpress.

2.  One "Cranium 5A Charger" - about $85 CDN

3.  One Charge Doctor V2 - about $40 CDN

4.  One Samsung cell replacement battery pack - $114 CDN

TOTAL:  $519 CDN... and counting!  I think this is the most fun I've had with a purchase other than my first car which was $800 CDN back in university...

EDIT: 5.  One Ninebot One E+ for $840 after USD to CDN conversion and taxes.

6.  Dollarama rear bicycle lights, reflective strips, eBay stand - $12 CDN

NEW TOTAL:  $1371

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>2000€ and counting... generic + Firewheel + custom batteries + random accessories and parts. Oh, and I'll probably have to sink ~500€ or so (pure guess, haven't even asked around for prices yet) into a new wheel without batteries (currently eyeing Gotway ACM & KS16).

$350 for a generic wheel sold for $225

$950 for Ninebot One E+

$50 for safety gear

$100 for SJCAM action camera

Another $1000 for KS16 or Gotway ACM ( future)

( Deduct ) May resell my Ninebot for $500-600

Not bad at all if you ask me. I spent over 2K on RC planes and I don't know where the money went.

For the unfortunate should they include medical expenses due to random shut offs?

Probably should add that EUCs "lured" me into learning electronics, that's another grand or so there with all the components & tools I've gotten. I don't even want to count how much all those "small" Aliexpress orders add up to, 10€ here, 20€ there, 30€ to something... 400€ for oscilloscope. I'm scared to just look at the number of orders anymore ;)

All orders: 310
Total reward points: 1382
A3 level member
Your level is higher than 98% of other users.

310 orders? How the **** did that happen? :D

Spending: 4 EUs, travellings in europe, a  lot of time (regulations, different concepts)

Benefit: fun, relaxing, sightseeing, tours

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sum: worth the money and efforts

How about calculating the average costs for 1 Km? Let me see: 9b1: ~3.500 Km + the KS16: 300 Km. This comes down to 0,74€ / Km! Darn! This looks like a real car. Like Planetpapi I have to sell the 9b1 soon...

@esaj: 310 orders??? You didn't type the 0 by accident - did you? How long do you ride EUCs...? Sounds like 10 years ...

2 minutes ago, Gunthor said:

How about calculating the average costs for 1 Km? Let me see: 9b1: ~3.500 Km + the KS16: 300 Km. This comes down to 0,74€ / Km! Darn! This looks like a real car. Like Planetpapi I have to sell the 9b1 soon...

Plus electricity for charging the wheels, but that isn't that much really. In the end, estimating the per km -cost isn't easy beforehand, as you should take into account any maintenance/repairs needed, the entire lifetime kilometers (before it's broken/worn down so badly that it cannot/isn't reasonable to fix anymore) and/or resell value... In the end, I'd expect it to beat car, but not bicycle/walking.

@esaj: Absolutely correct. The real costs can only be calculated after selling the two EUCs I still own and then subtracting this amount. I looked up the calculation of my previous car after I sold it and it did cost me only 0,15 € / Km! And this included all the fuel, maintenance (well the parts - I did it all by myself), insurance, taxes,... you know it all (I have to admit a small car: a smart fortwo).

Still I have a weird feeling that this EUC hobby could be more expansive than a car...
...but I don't mind :)

10 minutes ago, Gunthor said:

@esaj: 310 orders??? You didn't type the 0 by accident - did you? How long do you ride EUCs...? Sounds like 10 years ...

No accident there, unfortunately... But many of those orders are really small, like 1-3€ or so, as they're mostly electronics components. But then again, many of them are not that small... :rolleyes:  Hopefully I haven't broken 4 figures yet on those (on Aliexpress alone, I ordered the oscilloscope from Germany), but I'm not that sure anymore :P  On the other hand, I have three cabinets full of parts + more in drawers and laying around:

UPwU5pv.png

1 minute ago, Gunthor said:

@esaj: Absolutely correct. the real costs can only be calculated after selling the two EUCs I still own and then subtracting this amount. I looked up the calculation of my previous car after I sold it and it did cost me only 0,15 € / Km! And this included all the fuel, maintenance (well the parts - I did it all by myself), insurance, taes,... you know it all.

That's pretty cheap really, here the taxes on everything are so high that getting the cost that low would probably mean buying some 500€ sh*tbox yearly that has just (barely) passed the inspection, and getting it baled before it needs to be inspected again :D

16__10_auton_kierratys.jpg

1 minute ago, Gunthor said:

Still I have a weird feeling that this EUC hobby could be more expansive than a car...

Possible, it's all up to what you are willing to (and can) spend. If a cheap generic (a couple of hundred or so) is enough for you, and you "run it down" before buying a new one, you probably could get a very low per km-cost.

This hobby might be expensive, but the grin on my face and the reaction I get from others who see me riding = PRICELESS.

I hope as the tech matures and they become more common that the prices eventually will go down a bit.  I still have a hard time looking at a $1500 price tag for a single wheeled vehicle.  I guess when you factor in that some can go 30 kms or more it's not that high of a price especially when some higher end cycling bikes are half a million dollars the price of a nice EUC isn't that bad I guess.  I wish they were all in the sub $800 range so more people would get into the hobby.  I'd be hesitant to tell people I'm riding past if they ask me how much my wheel was to tell them over a thousand dollars!  $300 bucks on the other hand meh whatever, but it's that 1K threshold that eeks just stops me from placing an order for a higher end unit.   I guess you only live once though right so why not?

I looked at some marketing figures when I was in the scuba business about 15 years ago. You could count on the average American male to spend $4,000 to $5,000 on a hobby that would last 3 to 5 years. Think scuba diving, skiing, biking, golf etc. sure there are people who spend their whole life with one hobby, but marketers are looking for those who have money to spend over and over again. That is why so many big sports companies have multiple brands. People use Nike shoes, clothes, jackets, golf clubs and when the market is big enough, the Nike EU.(probably endorsed by some Finnish extreme guy who uses his for climbing ice falls)

mike

Ther're so many people also like to spend money. If I talk with colleagues there're a lot willing to spend money, use it for commuting. But than they realise that it's currently not usable over here: All EUs are illegal, not approved.

EUs can be used to reduce CO2 emissions if power plants are producing green energy.The Kyoto protocol next steps can only be met with more zero emission vehicles. The urban and city traffic is a major part of vehicle emissions. Spending in low cost zero emission vehicles will getting popular for those which can be used street legal.

If you look on this small production rooms at Gotway, Kingsong and so on this could be used for Europe only - if they could be used street legal. Looking forward to the upcoming PLEV standard which needs time to get finalised but give the manufacturers also the time to develop the products meet the requirements and get certified to ISO 9001:2015.

A I started with the hobby we had only two wheels. This year the MSuper and the KS16 meets the party also so the whole family can use an EU and we had a nice tour in Luxembourg two weeks ago together. Using an EU will get you on places and tracks you 've never been before. Your outdoor activities will get up with this hobby. We've never done weekend trips to other destinations just for an hobby. I'm currently planning tours for the family to start with the train and go over to France. Make a two days trip with a night in a small hauberge: Two distance rides (each around 20 km) a day and charging over lunchtime. I'll try to document this tours and talk with the people up front to see if the're willing to make places with power plugs that we can charge them. 

Making this tours we'll get in touch with so much people still not infected. Looking forward to see more people joining this amazing hobby and spending money.

here on my side it is about:

around 1000 EUR so far.

Main Part: EUC: IPS Zero (240 Wh) ~ 550 EUR

+ 220 EUR Gear (mainly Protection) (happily throwing away my first helmet (~ 90 EUR) after my faceplant  ;))

+ 160 EUR 'Stuff' ( 'Cranium' 5A Charger, LED Front Light, SJCam 4000,  ...)

+ 70 EUR insurance/year

and possibly counting ... I find myself thinking of a bigger, stronger wheel with, most important: bigger battery.

@esaj I'm curious: why would you buy a wheel without batteries?

One generic X3 clone 381 USD + 1 homebuild 192 Wh batterypack for approx 100 USD, all included.

Close to 480 USD. It has given me a lot of fun for the Money.

Am waiting to see if the EUC's are considered illegal for street-use here, befor I throw more Money at it.

One could say, that I ought to buy and have fun with a high-level EUC before it IS considered illegal but I feel that approach is like shooting an animal that's about to turn extinct, just for the sport of it. :blink:

21 hours ago, esaj said:

currently eyeing Gotway ACM

@esaj If you manage to buy ACM without battery, please share that, i'm interested in that to! ;)

And i am also A3 level member on aliexpress, lot of small goods.... :P 

I sunk over 1000€ so far for EUC, batteries, BMS, wires, electronics, headlamps, taillamps, plastidip... etc 

Holy cow that's like $28,439 CDN or $22,447 USD or the price of a car!

41 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

More than 20 000 €

What's the most you would ever spend on an EUC if they made the latest and greatest with all the features you would ever want like guaranteed no shutdowns, long range lifetime battery with 1000 km range, high powered motor that can climb 45 degree slopes while maintaining speed, adjustable upper speed limit of 100 kph or more, selectable gyro lateral balance assist and a super customizable app that you can tweak everything and logs all of your trips and records every single detail like a black box?

Archived