Hoverboard VS Electric Unicycle

I now HATE Walking!!

That is tough to sort out, but here is my take:  You see a lot more people falling on hoverboards, mainly because so many people have them.  Also, they are really easy to get on, so people don't totally understand that they could fall off, just as easily.  EUCs, at the same speed, are probably a little more dangerous, because they are inherently less stable, but there are fewer out there, and they are hard to learn, so new riders are much more careful and expect to fall.  Of course, crazy fast EUCs, like Gotway, are in a dangerously fun league of their own, and hopefully only riden after considerable experience on a less powerful wheel.

Don't really like hoverboards myself.  The main issues I have with them are they are too unstable if you run over uneven ground.  Can't go up a curb on a sidewalk nor down one either.  Steering is not natural, with this I mean to turn right or left you actually have to push down with the opposite foot.  Finally the most important... comfort.  While EUs have tires filled with air, hoverboards have hard wheels.

On 22 April 2016 at 11:39 AM, SlowMo said:

You forgot to mention how the way people fall on a hoverboard vs an EUC and which one is more dangerous.

A 'comparison' where one rider is half the weight of the other, is more than slightly biased (although my first thought  was "Wow I didn't realise the Airwheel was that slow!")

As @SlowMo mentions , every video I have seen of a Hoverboard rider falling is either the board shooting out from under them, (the product of way too little power in the motors - which means they really are only safe with lightweight children) or violently turning and throwing the rider off sideways, often if the smallest bump is hit. In both cases the rider goes down hard, even if the board has very little speed, Worst, even if safely on the sidewalk the Hoverboard can throw you sideways into the road - as happened in London and resulted in the death of the young rider.

At slow speed it is unusual for an EUC rider not to be able to land on their feet, at high speed the rider may well faceplant but will do so forwards in almost all cases. Almost by definition, if a rider is going fast the area ahead of the EUC must be clear and flat (unless the rider is suicidal!) so the rider is unlikely to go under a car or hit a tree, etc. 

If you want to be able to spin on the spot, get a Hoverboard, for everything else there is the EUC :-) 

In passing, what really puzzles me, (but I guess shows what a herd instinct Hoverboard buyers have!) is why the Onewheel type boards are not the most popular, surely they really do have the feel of a true Hoverboard, and would be much better suited to anyone who can ride a skateboard? I'd love to try one - but not quite enough to cough up money!

All good points.  Yeah, the Airwheel is capable of more speed, but is limited to 8-10mph for safety.  I always put fun before safety, so its probably a good thing I started on the airwheel, and its awsome for the last 3 blocks of my commute (parked car to office).  With two years of riding experience, my next wheel will be the Beast.

I am with you guys.  I love my EUC and would never trade for a hoverboard.  I think most people don't want to take the extra time to learn to balance.  More than that, I think people that gravitate to EUCs, have more natural balance and possibly a better sense of their physical surroundings.  EUCs look dangerous enough to keep most people off of them.  I frequently hear people say "I would kill myself on that thing."   Hoverboards are just as dangerous, and maybe even more, like you guys are saying, BUT they seem easy, so people are much more willing to try.  If you have no idea what you are doing, and have a weak sense of balance, its like stepping on a banana peel.

On the right surface, and with the right amount of respect for the machine, a hoverboard can be a fun toy, but if you really want a serious portable vehicle, get an EUC.

Keith - I made an adapter to convert my EUC into a skateboard style hoverboard.  I do a sport called flowboarding and I wanted a way to practice in the off season.  Here is how I made it.  You could try this for under $20.  Its not a perfect skateboard-hoverboard, but all all the physics of motion and maneuvering are the same.

The review is not a good comparison. Airwheels are widely regarded as one of the worst makers of electric unicycles. They are really subpar. An euc from a reputable manufacturer is 4x faster than a "hoverboard". Also not shown in the review is that electric unicycles can ride in reverse, and spin in place using hip thrusts. 

Here's the real capabilities of whats possible with an euc:

It is a fair comparison at the $300 price point, where most casual riders will start.  That was an awesome display of what a true pro rider can do.  The average rider can't do those things.  Yes, both hoverboards and EUCs can be ridden in reverse.  I did not show that because I have not mastered EUC reverse.  Can you do that?  

The Airwheel has been a great vehicle for me, for the last two years, and would still recommend it for beginners.  Having said that, I have my eye on the Gotway, next.

2 hours ago, I now HATE Walking!! said:

Keith - I made an adapter to convert my EUC into a skateboard style hoverboard.  I do a sport called flowboarding and I wanted a way to practice in the off season.  Here is how I made it.  You could try this for under $20.  Its not a perfect skateboard-hoverboard, but all all the physics of motion and maneuvering are the same.

Brilliant idea, I'm going to have to try that :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I ride a EUC and my wife rides a Hover. I can tell you almost everyone that looks at us with any sort of interest seems to prefer the Hoverboard. I suspect it is because it looks more mainstream and novice friendly. EUCs look difficult.

There's simply no comparison. Hoverboards are terrible. Not even fit to lick the boots of the original Segway.

Despite having an 'ok' top speed, you never see anyone doing anything more than a crawl on them because the tiny wheels combined with the wide perpendicular stance and the sudden turn mechanism means instant wipeout if you ever try and get some speed going for anything other than a really flat, really straight a to b movement. 

I almost feel they insult the original Segway, which was and still is a wonderful machine and great fun on euro tours etc. There's still a place for them.

The two small wheels on the hoverboard definitely make a problem if you try higher speeds. Small wheels get caught up in cracks, potholes, and bumps. With two small wheels it's difficult to do a high-speed turn because you can't easily lean into it like you can with the EUC.

There is another to compair, the Ninebot mini... And I did find one potential bad, but only one issue, if you have one foot on mini and you accidentally move the control arm, it could spin your foot off like a corkscrew! Other then that mini is fun...

I take that back, there is one more thing, they should have gave people the option for the 310 wh battery!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2016 at 3:29 PM, I now HATE Walking!! said:

I made an adapter to convert my EUC into a skateboard style hoverboard.

That looks pretty cool! 

On 4/23/2016 at 10:59 PM, Keith said:

If you want to be able to spin on the spot, get a Hoverboard, for everything else there is the EUC :-) 

I bet that spinning with an EUC is much more fun, admittedly more difficult, but displayed on several youtube vids. I am still working on it ;)

11 hours ago, I now HATE Walking!! said:

Yeah, I have managed to spin 180 a few times.  The trick is to hop up a little right as you spin, to release the tire friction from the sidewalk.  If I don't hop, I can only get about 90 degrees

No need to hop, as you can see here

3 minutes ago, I now HATE Walking!! said:

I bet he hops a little.  I am not saying get any air.  I am just saying take a little wieght off. 

Seriously, that's what you see in the vid?

On Friday, May 06, 2016 at 1:24 AM, I now HATE Walking!! said:

Another huge positive for EUCs is that you can hop up with them, to get over large cracks or even curbs.  You can do this, because you can grab the wheel with your feet. There is no way to do this on hover board

Technically you could if you'd add some straps for the feet / shoes ;)

Archived