GoPro & Telemetry Video with Dashware

Jason McNeil

For almost a year, I've been intending on getting the video telemetry software working with my datalogger—I'm using the one from EagleTree, but there's no reason why any of the software logging projects will not work as well...

IMO this is pretty important for Wheel reviews, especially comparative stuff that sets out to objectively demonstrate that some manufacturers are talking complete poppycock about their specs. While showing a nice graphs is good, nothing beats a video overlay of precise moment where the motor cuts-out.

When starting out this weekend I had high expectations that I was going to be able to use the GPS (didn't work:() & RPM (also didn't work :angry:) sensors. Still, I've got about 10 other parameters & a support ticket in for some ideas of what can be done to get the GPS module functioning.

For the video capture, I was using Feiyu 3 axis gimble attached to short pole extension—initially tested a direct mount of the GoPro to the Wheel, but the results were very unsatisfactory. 

Even though it was acquired by GoPro last year, Dashware is pretty buggy: once you setup all the gauges, map your data, define your inputs the encoding rate from a 720p 30FPS source is glacially slow, taking over an hour to encode a 9 minute clip. Despite these, & many other flaws, it's still pretty cool & will be enhancing over the next couple weeks.

Finally, have a fisheye camera so close to the ground looks like I'm going quite a bit faster than I really am, objects that look like I'm about to collide into could be several feet away. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjUFh1YkZqd

Is this the KS16 or 14? That's some pretty serious power there, you're going above 1kW on many occasions, and momentarily hitting above 1.6kW / 30A during some accelerations (like around 2:37-2:39 and 7:59 or thereabouts)... And that's on level road :P  Or at least seems so.

30 minutes ago, esaj said:

erious power there, you're going above 1kW on many occasions, and momentarily hitting above 1.6kW /

14C, that's notin', if riding properly serious, get some 2.5-3kW  peaks :)   

38 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Sony Action cam which can capture GPS data itself

My Sony ActionCam got smashed up during the GW MCM4 accident :(, & ordering a replacement lens has proven next to impossible. But yeah that integrated GPS & other telemetry would be awesome!  

• 8 months later...
On 4/18/2016 at 6:02 PM, Jason McNeil said:

For almost a year, I've been intending on getting the video telemetry software working with my datalogger—I'm using the one from EagleTree, but there's no reason why any of the software logging projects will not work as well...

IMO this is pretty important for Wheel reviews, especially comparative stuff that sets out to objectively demonstrate that some manufacturers are talking complete poppycock about their specs. While showing a nice graphs is good, nothing beats a video overlay of precise moment where the motor cuts-out.

When starting out this weekend I had high expectations that I was going to be able to use the GPS (didn't work:() & RPM (also didn't work :angry:) sensors. Still, I've got about 10 other parameters & a support ticket in for some ideas of what can be done to get the GPS module functioning.

For the video capture, I was using Feiyu 3 axis gimble attached to short pole extension—initially tested a direct mount of the GoPro to the Wheel, but the results were very unsatisfactory. 

Even though it was acquired by GoPro last year, Dashware is pretty buggy: once you setup all the gauges, map your data, define your inputs the encoding rate from a 720p 30FPS source is glacially slow, taking over an hour to encode a 9 minute clip. Despite these, & many other flaws, it's still pretty cool & will be enhancing over the next couple weeks.

Finally, have a fisheye camera so close to the ground looks like I'm going quite a bit faster than I really am, objects that look like I'm about to collide into could be several feet away. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjUFh1YkZqd

@Jason McNeil, could you possibly share some details about how you wired up your EUC for the datafeed providing EUC Power, etc. information?   I'm just wondering if you could do this with an APM+MinimOSD+Security Camera modules (I have half a dozen sitting around).

Archived