...Welcome KS16...

Chriull

6 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I hope it's just a matter of getting familiar with the unit.

It seems so - i already start to enjoy more and more "moments" with a normal stand. already got my first side pedal scrape in a left turn instead if scraping with the forward tip, like with the ninebot...

I should have mine from Jason (840wh with higher performance cells) in a week or so, so I'll be able to chime in on stiffness on inclines etc since I climb large hills daily. Very interested to see how it compares to other wheels I've tried so far. I like the idea of being softer at slow speed and stiffer at high speeds. 

28 minutes ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

I should have mine from Jason (840wh with higher performance cells) in a week or so, so I'll be able to chime in on stiffness on inclines etc since I climb large hills daily. Very interested to see how it compares to other wheels I've tried so far. I like the idea of being softer at slow speed and stiffer at high speeds. 

I'm also awaiting one. Super excited! 

One thing I don't understand thou is people's preference for riding on hard mode. On my Gotway the hard mode is unbearable while riding during long sessions. It puts my knees on pain.

I always ride in medium mode, feels amazing. Very comfortable ride. And easier cornering too!

I tried a KS-14 on hard mode and it was the same problem as the Gotway, painful for the knees. Riding over bumps makes them feel miserable. I will certainly ride the 16 at medium ride mode.

19 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

I'm also awaiting one. Super excited! 

One thing I don't understand thou is people's preference for riding on hard mode. On my Gotway the hard mode is unbearable while riding during long sessions. It puts my knees on pain.

I always ride in medium mode, feels amazing. Very comfortable ride. And easier cornering too!

I tried a KS-14 on hard mode and it was the same problem as the Gotway, painful for the knees. Riding over bumps makes them feel miserable. I will certainly ride the 16 at medium ride mode.

I'm actually with you on this too. I've recently had my eyes opened in regards to this very issue just a few weeks ago when I tried solowheel. It's definitely on the extreme end of softness and feels insane when you first step on if you've been riding any other wheel in "stiff" mode. But then if you give it a little time, it's actually really fun and comfortable. Braking is the biggest thing that is affected IMO, because the pedals stay more aligned with you body. You kind of throw the wheel in front of you and it catches you. I think I'm going to want to keep the KS16 in the stiffer mode though. There is an advantage to stiff modes and that is in handling uneven pavements and bumps. With delays in reaction and heavier leaving in a very soft riding mode, it quickly puts you in a more vulnerable situation if anything uneven catches you off guard. It's possible to ride in these situations but more challenging and less safe I'd say. 

On 28. April 2016 at 6:58 PM, esaj said:

Goddamnit, that sounds awfully lot like Firewheel in "comfort"-mode... hate the "soft"-ride, it stiffens up after around 25-26km/h, so I always kept it in "sport"-mode (always stiff). And here I was thinking I should start writing emails to see if someone would sell me one without batteries... Guess I'll have to start asking around for ACM.

A short update to soft/stiff riding experience: had a nice ride yesterday and  a narrow passage with two 90 degree corners (left/right) with about half a meter inbetween. Somhow with the breaking/accelerating/weight change Pattern the KS16 got extremely soft and breaking for the second corner and shifting my body weight to the right gave me the feeling of falling backwards without "any" support from the wheel. Definitely something i don't like.. 

Had already the same situation while "performing a pedestrian slalom" - so seems to be an behaviour of the wheel i should adopt to quite quickly...

but as soon one gets a little bit faster the KS16 performs real great with an gorgeous carving feeling!

so definitely on has not to go up the 25-26 km/h for stiff riding.

i also never experienced any knee problems or anything similar in because of riding in stiff modes - i just like it this way! I assume it just fits my "movements" and expectations so the wheel does not perform ever in an unexpected way (for me). I can't stand (for me unexpected) wobblig around while i want a "solid partner" to support me with sudden direction/weight changes as i want! But i assume that's just pure personal preference. Maybe other people manage to get even more carving experience out of soft driving modes - i definitely don't. At least by now...

ps.: i am driving in play mode, which seemed after a very short trial period to be the stiffest mode - i hope i did'nt choose a wrong driving mode by accident....

edit: just to clarify my preference: I rode my ninebot always at riding mode 0, didn't like 3 and never got any thought of trying even softer modes

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

Maybe also just a different feeling with the different balancing algorithm of the KS. Since he is "not so stiff" driving slowly and "very stiff" once he reaches some speed...

try calibrating the pedals 1° upwards ... at least for hilly terain. helped a lot countering the forward incline while going slow and wasnt too bad going fast either. its way less incline than overspeeding with the 9bot while trying to catch up to a ks16 ;)

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

A short update to soft/stiff riding experience: had a nice ride yesterday and  a narrow passage with two 90 degree corners (left/right) with about half a meter inbetween. Somhow with the breaking/accelerating/weight change Pattern the KS16 got extremely soft and breaking for the second corner and shifting my body weight to the right gave me the feeling of falling backwards without "any" support from the wheel. Definitely something i don't like.. 

Had already the same situation while "performing a pedestrian slalom" - so seems to be an behaviour of the wheel i should adopt to quite quickly...

but as soon one gets a little bit faster the KS16 performs real great with an gorgeous carving feeling!

never had the backward tilt feeling but last time i tried your ks16 i didn't went through very crowded streets.  and i probably will  not do, with my soon to arrive ks16, without changing the tire anyway. I went through the very busy Kärntnerstrasse in Vienna yesterday and the offroad tire on my 9bot turn like a charm. effordless 90° turns for slow stop and go traffic and ton of grip for overtaking and carving around the shoppingcrazy tourists. they are louder too, which hopefully distracts a bit from the high pitched noise, :) but together the sound should split the pesky pedestrians like jesus split the sea :rolleyes:, or not :) ... drove up right in front of a police man and waited right beside for the traffic light to go green. saw me arriving, had a quit look but then didnt even bother to talk... not sure if i will do this on the ks right away :) 

Yes "Play"-mode is the right mode to choose. I just came back from a 44 Km ride:

Battery level at the beginning of the ride: 100%
Km range: 44,2 km
Average speed: 22,3 Km/h
Steepest incline:
Altitude difference: 213 meter
Riders weight: 73 Kg
Battery level at the end of the ride: 37%

T h i s   i s   s o   m u c h   f u n  :D 
I really love the KS16 now (this was a ride with a very long forest section where the noise wasn't too painstaking). On the 1st of May traditional Germans waver and todder through the forest because they pull a wagon with beer through the forest which needs to be consumed until the end of the trail. However, modern Germans on EUCs  - like me ;) - have more fun "performing a slalom through those slow motion drunkards"! I never had so much fun riding this EUC than today. :D :D :D

Neverteless I still hate the new app: Always crashes within 1-2 minutes and it forces me to switch to the old app...

Here is another one:

Battery level at the beginning of the ride: 93%
Km range: 52 km
Average speed: 22,3 Km/h
Steepest incline: 17%
Altitude difference: 316 meter
Riders weight: 73 Kg
Battery level at the end of the ride: 30%

I think this is impressive. And I don't have ambitions for longer rides - so the 680Wh version is the correct one ... FOR ME. ;)

Ok, if you can go 52 km on the 680Wh version, I'm sooo looking forward to the real range of mine when it arrives next week (I splurged and went for the 828Wh version). Thanks for posting range, that is very helpful for planning tours! :D

And it really excites me to find out if you can double the range on a long downhill ride... like this one:
juibo8.png

Too bad I cannot take 3 days off now in order to drive into the Alpen to try this one. But maybe this inspires some others to try something similar and then post results. B)

@xamino, 
I intend to join in on one of the upcoming Skate- and blade-nights this year. As you work in Munich: Do you think this is a good/bad idea? I've read the police can be rather nasty to EUC-riders in Munich. Do you know if this is also the case for blade-night events? I think a group of EUC riders could fit in nicely there... but the german police may think differently... :wacko:

9 hours ago, xamino said:

I would a) confirm that beforehand and b ) explicitly contact and ask the organizers beforehand just in case they mind. I think riding way in the back and keeping a bit of a safe distance shouldn't be a problem.

Yes - I totally agree - this is what I will do as well before showing up at one of those events.

9 hours ago, xamino said:

The PLEV rules can't come soon enough. 

PLEV? What does this stand for? Something like MobHV for EUCs?

28 minutes ago, Gunthor said:

PLEV? What does this stand for? Something like MobHV for EUCs?

My guess would be something like Personal Light Electric Vehicle

Yes I agree about the acceleration thing......but the wheel does  feel very safe and solid, super steady, just hard to go fast uphill ! I have also found my warning signals go off much earlier than my actual speed via gps and its pot luck which sound goes off first....one or two beeps. This makes me wonder about speed settings on the app .....should one set the speed settings higher....which you seem to be able to....to reflect real speeds as apposed to Kingsong speeds? IE 30kph = 35kph approx.....The KS16 certainly soaks up the bumps and copes with gravel and curbs well. I have yet to put a scratch on it, however I cant imagine doing more than an hour at a time on it without a rest as after 10 miles or so my feet are ready for a rest! Thats only 2 or 3 of the lights gone so the chances of me using all 680w of the battery in one go is very very low. However I could do a couple of trips in the day without re-charging and still have a significant safety margin. Personaly I am happy sticking in the 10mph to 12mph speed slot anyway as I am getting a bit old for "Road Rolling"......I will leave that to the EUC test pilots among you!

Hi Guys,

a newbie here, just got my KS16 but the manual is missing, may i know what is the function of the small button switch near the power button switch, Also where i can get the authorise code to change the setting, i have the ISN number

please advise.Thanks

@EricAngel the smaller button is called the auxiliary and is used to turn on the Bluetooth,switch the lights on/off.

there is a heading ISN code calculator I will try and tag your name on it was done by @esaj and works brilliantly. Simply take your isn number ie 12:34:BB:45:C2:56 and reverse it..56:C2:45:BB:34:12 and click unlock,make a note of the unlock code and enter it on the kingsong app and your done ??

• 3 weeks later...

Some more "battery stress" report - had a very nice ride with my brother 2 days ago: http://imgur.com/a/9Ic7h (going up and down the Kahlenberg and then crossing over to the Pötzleinsdorfer Park/Schafberg - really nice round!)

Battery Capacity: 840Wh

Battery level at the beginning of the ride:9?% (all green leds active, but charger was still charging)
Km range: 36 km
Average speed: ~10 Km/h (number from endomondo - looking at the speed chart i think this could be with some breaks?)
Steepest incline: ?? quite steep ;)
Altitude difference: Ascent: 479m, descent: 502m

Riders weight: ~+90 Kg
Battery level at the end of the ride: 3 green leds active (new iphone app shows 2 squares in red)

At the last inclines the KS16 was already beeping a couple of times (low battery, i assume) - but still driving without restrictions...

No Prob with overheating...

Next time i have to recharge before the second part - we already skipped the offroad forest part since it was raining...

So with a bit above 90kg, going up and down the hills 840Wh are really nice - i imagined the KS16 getting a bit softer with lower battery status (?maybe real pure imagination?) but still safe and "powerfull" driving ...

Archived