...Welcome KS16...

Chriull

I am for roughly 4 hours a happy KS 16 828Wh owner ?. Yes, it whistles its high pitched noise, it woobles at bit strange if one is used a ninebot one E+ at riding level 0, but i am quite certain that this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship!

I like the feeling of standing on it , riding it of course - but the first ride today was unfortiunately too short - we just have raining season over here ;(

More details to follow...

he let me try it, unfortunatly the 2nd one we ordered arrives end of april *cry*

sound is no concern for me as i plan to put on a louder offroad tire. but yes if you are very sensible ...  somehow it felt a bit like the pedals lean forward if you are going slow and go horizontal at a certain speed. but nothing you cant get used too. when mine arrives i'll see how it feels going offroad up a steep hill with forward leaning pedals ;)

as my favorite barefoot shoes are pretty slippery i probably will cut off the soft rubber things on the pedals with a sidecutter and put griptape on the whole pedal. but thats just my preference, they are already better than the standard ninebot pedals.

we just made a small round as it was wet and started raining again. and yes i had to go home on my 9bot at 11 km/h and eamty battery warningbeeps ... i hate @Chriull LOL  but at least he paid the beers ;) 

cant wait for mine ...

there are 3 settings: Player/Cycling/Learing ... its feels stiffer than the KS14 but on a ninebot scale probably only a 4+ ... so no madden mode afaik

edit: but its hard to judge after this short time, seems like its softer at lower speed and gets stiffer while going faster

6 hours ago, Blunzn said:

he let me try it, unfortunatly the 2nd one we ordered arrives end of april *cry*

sound is no concern for me as i plan to put on a louder offroad tire. but yes if you are very sensible ...  somehow it felt a bit like the pedals lean forward if you are going slow and go horizontal at a certain speed. but nothing you cant get used too. when mine arrives i'll see how it feels going offroad up a steep hill with forward leaning pedals ;)

as my favorite barefoot shoes are pretty slippery i probably will cut off the soft rubber things on the pedals with a sidecutter and put griptape on the whole pedal. but thats just my preference, they are already better than the standard ninebot pedals.

we just made a small round as it was wet and started raining again. and yes i had to go home on my 9bot at 11 km/h and eamty battery warningbeeps ... i hate @Chriull LOL  but at least he paid the beers ;) 

cant wait for mine ...

Look for a "level calibration" setting in the app. It allows you to self calibrate the angle of the pedals. 

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

Look for a "level calibration" setting in the app. It allows you to self calibrate the angle of the pedals. 

yes we havent tried that yet, also he was still on the oldest firmware ... and its not a huge complain :) just something to get used to ... all in all a really nice strong euc

Wow - I didn't know you got yourself the 828Wh KS16 version - Excellent choice! I was thinking about this battery size as well because I like to do longer rides too, but for me this was too costly. However, there is one thing that would interest me very much: As soon as time, weather, confidence and the desire to go low on your battery may meet, kindly post Km range, average speed, steepest incline, altitude difference (if possible), riders weight and the battery level at the end of your ride. Within the next month I hope to be able to pick a date to do so with my KS16 - then we could compare results...

After riding my upgraded 520Wh Firewheel (closer to 550Wh according to Charge Doctor) I think I would rather have a lighter wheel than a bigger battery. My range is already 50km on a charge and there's no way I'll ride longer than that in a single session. That built-in handle on the KS16 seems really handy, especially for those large batteries.

On 19. April 2016 at 5:59 AM, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

It's nicely calibrated - you have the same behavior no matter if you ride the KS16 "normally" or "180° turned around". I did not really recognized the pattern of this forward leaning - is normally only at slower speeds... But i still have firmware updates open (once the new iPhone version is released or i borrow an android) - maybe thats already "fixed/changed"

21 hours ago, Gunthor said:

Wow - I didn't know you got yourself the 828Wh KS16 version - Excellent choice! I was thinking about this battery size as well because I like to do longer rides too, but for me this was too costly. However, there is one thing that would interest me very much: As soon as time, weather, confidence and the desire to go low on your battery may meet, kindly post Km range, average speed, steepest incline, altitude difference (if possible), riders weight and the battery level at the end of your ride. Within the next month I hope to be able to pick a date to do so with my KS16 - then we could compare results...

Had the chance for a ~25 km ride yesterday. average speed was 7.02 (don't know how precise endomondo is in regard of breaks...), max height 245m, min height 150 (going up and down once this ~95m and going up and down once about 40m). My weight could be something around 90kg - i don't know exactly, since my bathroom scale is hiding (could be above, since she is so scared ;) )

Battery was almost fully charged before the ride ( all battery indicator were on, but the charger still had the red light). After the ride 6 indicator leds where still on (?out of 9?)

19 hours ago, dmethvin said:

After riding my upgraded 520Wh Firewheel (closer to 550Wh according to Charge Doctor) I think I would rather have a lighter wheel than a bigger battery. My range is already 50km on a charge and there's no way I'll ride longer than that in a single session. That built-in handle on the KS16 seems really handy, especially for those large batteries.

The handle is really great! Also very usable without the KS powered on. (would be to annoying to have the high pitched noise all the time and turning on and off all the time and hear the "Hello Singsong" at full volume is no choice either.. ;( )

The 828 Wh are maybe at bit overdone - but i assume i am heavier than you. I can't imagine doing 50km with 520Wh... Maybe with good luck only going without inclines - and normally my riding tracks have quite some inclines... It's really nice to never have to bother if there is still enough battery capacity left ;)

My first impression from my wifes new KS16 on a short tour arround town today:

- current iOS App worked instantly

- very stiff

- agile

- handle bar looks good and makes a good impression using it

- needs a push to accelerate (compared to nienbot/ IPS)

- No battery indicator visible for the rider

- nice open shell but accessing the tube valve is still not usable.  Needed a bicycle plastic tire mounter to lift the valve to check tire pressure.

- not tested sound, no need for it.

To be tested:

- Slippery of pedals

- handling in different behaviours

- temperature handling

Need to test it more on the next tour in france when we exchange the wheels.

I personally keep on 18" (KS18 or MSuper). More solid.

13 minutes ago, OliverH said:

My first impression from my wifes new KS16 on a short tour arround town today:

- current iOS App worked instantly

Agree. Just the odometer which seemed to work (in contradiction to some reports here) definitely stopped working at my last ride...

There is no battery capacity shown in the app, also no pitch and roll and all the other details in some summary...

- very stiff

Partially agree - driving faster the stiffness is very nice, at slower speed its not stiff (imho, coming from a ninebot). And if one drives not too fast, it has the tendecy to tilt forward - is a bit strange, but slowly i get used to it... Hopefully this gets solved with newer firmware versions...

- agile

- handle bar looks good and makes a good impression using it

- needs a push to accelerate (compared to nienbot/ IPS)

- No battery indicator visible for the rider

check to all above

- nice open shell but accessing the tube valve is still not usable.  Needed a bicycle plastic tire mounter to lift the valve to check tire pressure.

With the air pump/gauge at my local gas station it works wo probs. Just the valve is a bit shorter (imho, again compared to the ninebot) and so bit harder to lift for "operation"

- not tested sound, no need for it.

To be tested:

- Slippery of pedals

Imho better than with the ninebot - but still could need some grip tape for "vibrant" tracks...

- handling in different behaviours

- temperature handling

I personally keep on 18" (KS18 or MSuper). More solid.

The MSuper 18" pedals where great! I really liked them - first time i could really rest my whole feet on the pedals. Almost a totaly new riding experience ;) unfortionately just a short test-ride...

Overall imho a great wheel - i do not regret my choice in any way. Just the high pitch whistling is annoying;( - your wifes KS did not have this?

17 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Agree. Just the odometer which seemed to work (in contradiction to some reports here) definitely stopped working at my last ride...

There is no battery capacity shown in the app, also no pitch and roll and all the other details in some summary...

Partially agree - driving faster the stiffness is very nice, at slower speed its not stiff (imho, coming from a ninebot). And if one drives not too fast, it has the tendecy to tilt forward - is a bit strange, but slowly i get used to it... Hopefully this gets solved with newer firmware versions...

check to all above

With the air pump/gauge at my local gas station it works wo probs. Just the valve is a bit shorter (imho, again compared to the ninebot) and so bit harder to lift for "operation"

Imho better than with the ninebot - but still could need some grip tape for "vibrant" tracks...

The MSuper 18" pedals where great! I really liked them - first time i could really rest my whole feet on the pedals. Almost a totaly new riding experience ;) unfortionately just a short test-ride...

Overall imho a great wheel - i do not regret my choice in any way. Just the high pitch whistling is annoying;( - your wifes KS did not have this?

For sure the KS has the tinnitus sound, it's sharing the same sources. That's something my wife can understand. But she's very unpleasant on the start sound.

I wasn't able to remove the valve cup as the valve sits tight in the rim. We need tubeless tires and good placed valves. This tubes with valves customised not really usable are boring. In general the quality is low so they leak air and I need to check the pressure every month or sometimes earlier.

She doesn't looked relaxed on the tour as she did in Luxembourg on my MSuper. She ended up the tour on the Ninebot and than the IPS as the kids liked to drive the KS.

I haven't used the App while riding. I need to disable this freaking side disco mode. Why do all the Asians like it so much? 

Did Ibsay the handle bar is superb? ;)

HI, Current KS-16 owners:

Looks like you all are having great time to ride KS-16. I am thinking about getting a KS-16 or 18. But it is too hard to get them in US.

I am curious about whether you can do a  video comparison among KS-16,  other KSs, GotWays, NB1s. Things to compare  are, for example, hill climbing, acceleration, emergency braking, small radius turns, swing, single leg motion and comfort. Thank you in advance and looking forward to seeing such videos.

1 hour ago, ECUMania said:

HI, Current KS-16 owners:

Looks like you all are having great time to ride KS-16. I am thinking about getting a KS-16 or 18. But it is too hard to get them in US.

I am curious about whether you can do a  video comparison among KS-16,  other KSs, GotWays, NB1s. Things to compare  are, for example, hill climbing, acceleration, emergency braking, small radius turns, swing, single leg motion and comfort. Thank you in advance and looking forward to seeing such videos.

If I take killer requirements:

Ninebot:
A rider must be light to use it on inclines
They had issues on Firmware updates, obviously nighly builds not tested (faceplants, MOSFETs burned )
Not as powerfull as current designsSingel battery pack with not so high capacity (inclines: voltag drop)
App BT2/ 4/ LE compatible. Android/ iOS App

Gotway:
The MSuper is the classic 19" EU, some call it tank, as you can drive about all ground
The shell is ABS and not the strongest.
True parallel batter packs (680 Wh/ 850 Wh from factory, with around 1000 Wh from 1RadWerkstatt)
very common in our hilly environment in Switzerland over here
no overheating issues known so far
big pedalsmainbaord Bluettoth module not BT 4/ LE compatible, no official iOS APP

Kingsong:
There are parallels between Kingsong and Gotway. Gotway was first on market and introduced at that time the MSuper, the first 18" EU. As the KS18 comes out it has similar technology and the same protocol used for the serial port protocol on bluetooth. But also has improvements.
KS18, automatic lights, 800W/ 1200 W motor, 520 Wh to 1360 Wh battery
a tall case of a resistance material
The tall case needs  an other driving style
There're overheating issues
small pedals
KS16, automatic lightshandle bar to move it in a crowded pedestrian area beside you like a suitcase on roles
800W motor, 520 Wh - 840 Wh battery, almost parallel
to prevent overheating a fan is installed, no expereience yet isf thet fix the issue
App BT2/ 4/ LE compatible. Android/ iOS App

Good summary, a couple additions though: 1) larger KS 16" pedals are now available on the 18" as well, 2) battery packs are also parallel on the KS, with the input leads feeding into the BMS, configured as a Y connector on the BMS PCB. 

14 hours ago, OliverH said:

small pedals

14 hours ago, OliverH said:

800W motor, 520 Wh - 840 Wh battery, almost parallel

A small report inbetween:

Just had the chance to make a small hill testride (~200 height meters incline with 4 km length) and the max temperature reading i have seen inbetween was 48°C (checked after some of the steepest inclines and at the "top"). I am ~95 kg, but it just had about 10°C outside...

Battery was full when starting and still shows all battery led indicators after going this track up and down (~8 km)

I'm still fighting with the new "balance" to find the right "stand" on it from time to time - i assume my brain still wants to balance out the battery just on one side of the ninebot, but the KS is balanced...

I also have the feeling, that it is somehow "harder" to accelerate - especially going uphill. It's almost exhaustive to stand on the "ball of the feet" and keep it pushing. Could be that the extra power the KS has (also for balancing), has to be overcome for accelerating? Maybe also just a different feeling with the different balancing algorithm of the KS. Since he is "not so stiff" driving slowly and "very stiff" once he reaches some speed...

Still very happy with the KS16 - and can't wait for nice(r) weather to come and stay to get more and longer rides and get used to him!

38 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Since he is "not so stiff" driving slowly and "very stiff" once he reaches some speed...

Goddamnit, that sounds awfully lot like Firewheel in "comfort"-mode... hate the "soft"-ride, it stiffens up after around 25-26km/h, so I always kept it in "sport"-mode (always stiff). And here I was thinking I should start writing emails to see if someone would sell me one without batteries... Guess I'll have to start asking around for ACM.

23 minutes ago, esaj said:

Goddamnit, that sounds awfully lot like Firewheel in "comfort"-mode... hate the "soft"-ride, it stiffens up after around 25-26km/h, so I always kept it in "sport"-mode (always stiff). And here I was thinking I should start writing emails to see if someone would sell me one without batteries... Guess I'll have to start asking around for ACM.

The KS16 starts much earlier to "switch" to stiff mode. But i presumably have still an early firmware Version -  @Gunthor  something changes with the newer ones?

ps.: your quote let me reconsider using "he" and "stiff" in the same sentence... The first sentence of this post also got rephrased...

Just now, Chriull said:

The KS16 starts much earlier to "switch" to stiff mode. But i presumably have still an early firmware Version -  @Gunthor  something changes with the newer ones?

ps.: your quote let me reconsider using "he" and "stiff" in the same sentence... The first sentence of this post also got rephrased...

Hey Chriull, i am on the newest Firmware available 1.16.....no changes to the stiffness factor at all. Sometimes its really weird, so soft at slow movements that i constantly touching the ground with the pedals while circleling....and on the other side i cant press it while riding at higher speed

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

A small report inbetween:

I'm still fighting with the new "balance" to find the right "stand" on it from time to time - i assume my brain still wants to balance out the battery just on one side of the ninebot, but the KS is balanced...

Same here.....i am feeling like a total noob sometimes. The crazy thing is, my first ride with my new ks16 was like riding in heaven. super straight, nice balance feeling like riding on rails, especially on curves at more speed. And now it feels weaker and weaker everytime i get on it

Archived