How Slow Can You Go?

6 hours ago, steve454 said:

If you are doing it slowly does that raise the temperature in the mainboard or not?

The fastest way to raise the temp in your mainboard is idling especially the energic one. Better hand touch from time to time the shell where mainboard is located if you do not have app to see the temp. You don't wanna burn some MOSFETs.

3 hours ago, DS said:

The fastest way to raise the temp in your mainboard is idling especially the energic one. Better hand touch from time to time the shell where mainboard is located if you do not have app to see the temp. You don't wanna burn some MOSFETs.

That is valuable info as i have been practicing idles. Would be great if there was an app that sounded an alarm when a critical temp is approaching. I only look at my temp before and after a ride. What is considered a critical temp?

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

What is considered a critical temp?

The cooling fan on KS16 turns on at 50C. At 70C the wheel tilts back to stop you.

We can consider more than 70C as critical.

For hand check, I'd say warm is OK, a hot shell is no no.

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

That is valuable info as i have been practicing idles. Would be great if there was an app that sounded an alarm when a critical temp is approaching. I only look at my temp before and after a ride. What is considered a critical temp?

@Rehab1Just remembered a video by Speedyfeet uk where he was riding off road up a long hill and the NB1 got too hot and slowed way down and he mentioned that he had to stop and let it cool down for awhile before riding again.  

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

@Rehab1Just remembered a video by Speedyfeet uk where he was riding off road up a long hill and the NB1 got too hot and slowed way down and he mentioned that he had to stop and let it cool down for awhile before riding again.  

Thanks Steve! How did he know it was overheating? I know you can always feel the case but that does not give you an accurate assessment. I am going to look for a temperature sensor that can be mount on the side of the outer shell that turns color or sounds a alarm when a critical temperature Is approaching. I just need to know the critical temp that could damage the circuitry.

51 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks Steve! How did he know it was overheating? I know you can always feel the case but that does not give you an accurate assessment. I am going to look for a temperature sensor that can be mount on the side of the outer shell that turns color or sounds a alarm when a critical temperature Is approaching. I just need to know the critical temp that could damage the circuitry.

It depends where you measure it. The typical maximum junction temperature seems to be around 175 degrees Celsius, but you can't actually measure the it (the junction's inside the mosfet). 80C inside the mainboard compartment is probably pretty critical limit already, there's a possibility of sort of an "avalanche" -phenomenon, because the Rds(on) of the mosfet goes up with temperature, which (if large current continues to pass through it) will make the heating of the mosfet junction even higher (more heat -> Rds(on) goes up, causing more heat -> Rds(on) goes up...).

For measuring, you could use something like a digital thermostat module, like these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Digital-Cool-Heat-temp-Thermostat-Temperature-Control-On-Off-Switch-Temperature-Controller-Switch-For-Free-Shipping/32427513166.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-Digital-Thermometer-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Heating-Cooling-Control-stazione-meteo-termometro-digitale-thermometre/32611241839.html

If you know your way around electronics, you could add a buzzer to the relay, so it starts making noise once the temperature goes too high.

Or simple thermometer:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-12V-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-Monitoring-tester-With-Temp-Probe-LED-meter-50-110C/32611846629.html?

Although you'll need to provide +12V DC for them from somewhere. Probably a battery-operated "basic" thermometer would work too.

@Rehab1 If I remember correctly, he said it slowed down and tilted back and I think he looked at the app to know it was overheating.  It was a long ride he was doing and then a long hill.  After some minutes of rest he was able to ride normally again.

14 hours ago, esaj said:

It depends where you measure it. The typical maximum junction temperature seems to be around 175 degrees Celsius, but you can't actually measure the it (the junction's inside the mosfet). 80C inside the mainboard compartment is probably pretty critical limit already, there's a possibility of sort of an "avalanche" -phenomenon, because the Rds(on) of the mosfet goes up with temperature, which (if large current continues to pass through it) will make the heating of the mosfet junction even higher (more heat -> Rds(on) goes up, causing more heat -> Rds(on) goes up...).

For measuring, you could use something like a digital thermostat module, like these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Digital-Cool-Heat-temp-Thermostat-Temperature-Control-On-Off-Switch-Temperature-Controller-Switch-For-Free-Shipping/32427513166.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-Digital-Thermometer-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Heating-Cooling-Control-stazione-meteo-termometro-digitale-thermometre/32611241839.html

If you know your way around electronics, you could add a buzzer to the relay, so it starts making noise once the temperature goes too high.

Or simple thermometer:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-12V-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-Monitoring-tester-With-Temp-Probe-LED-meter-50-110C/32611846629.html?

Although you'll need to provide +12V DC for them from somewhere. Probably a battery-operated "basic" thermometer would work too.

Thank you kindly for the information. Your knowledge is impressive Esaj! Being my field is biomechanics  my knowledge is somewhat limited in electronics. Sounds like you have all the necessary skills to produce such a device. You should market it! I will be your first customer.

15 hours ago, DS said:

The cooling fan on KS16 turns on at 50C. At 70C the wheel tilts back to stop you.

We can consider more than 70C as critical.

For hand check, I'd say warm is OK, a hot shell is no no.

Awesome information! Thanks! The KS16 has some very nice features you pointed out including the cooling fan. I need to look closer at the KS when considering my next EUC purchase.

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thank you kindly for the information. Your knowledge is impressive Esaj! Being my field is biomechanics  my knowledge is somewhat limited in electronics. Sounds like you have all the necessary skills to produce such a device. You should market it! I will be your first customer.

Well, with a bunch of ready-made components, it's not much more than wiring and finding where you can pull 12V from the wheel :P  I'm just a hobbyist with electronics, designing an entire module from scratch would be pretty challenging (and probably would become quite large, as I use stripboards & through-hole components ;)).

On 6/9/2016 at 4:50 AM, Rehab1 said:

Stop idling and keep going forward, even if it is small circles.  Idling is bad for the environment and the wheel.  Or perhaps you could do 15 foot reversals.  I don't know, but when I start idling I plan to go backwards at least 15 feet.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

@John Eucist Love the twist technique and video with associated music?Been practicing it. Tough on surfaces that are not smooth.

Haha.  I actually did another "twist" video on the Gotway Mten2 (which is a bit easier) the night before but have never done it again since.  Was just a silly thing I thought of during those 24 hours.  :D

Actually not silly. Any video teaching a technique to improve  EUC skills is valuable! I would just love to perfect doing it on top of a 4x4 post?

Archived