How Slow Can You Go?

I'm quite surprised that I can actually slow down to a near crawl with my generic 14" wheel without falling over.  It's a neat challenge to see how slow you can go and keep balanced.  I can actually come to a stop at a stop sign, look around, and then continue without needing to plant a foot on the ground.  ...which is good because I haven't mastered one foot down stop and go motions yet.

Some kids were talking briefly to me, and I was able to go super slow to make a comment about my wheel and let them check it out before I continued rolling on.  I'm surprised at how stable I can be while inching forwards like a snail.  Do you guys practice slow speed crawls?  It's very handy when following pedestrians while waiting for an opportunity to pass.

I agree with you. Driving high speed is one challange to deal with and it's ambiguous between danger and fun.
On the other side its driving low and very low speed, which is important when driving in public sector.

it looks sad if we have to go down and take our EUC by hand to pass by an pedestrian...

While i love speed, i and rode about 3000km on sidewalks jumping in between crows of pedestrians, i like going super slow also. Sometimes come to a stop, linger on for a few moments and continue. Its very good practice and an important skill to use in crowded environment

Does idling on the spot count as slow? :)

I agree that slow riding is a great skill to have, it not only helps on crowded pavements during Christmas shopping but also allows you to climb much steeper hills than are possible at high speed.

I also enjoy crawling behind pedestrians and moves like stop for a second and go again. Actually, many ppl do not expect, that I can slow so much down and yield in advance :)

I sometimes "wait" for the trafficlight to go green by going ultra slow.

Also amidst pedestrians, being able to go slow is a must. First time i did that i was nervous, but now i do'nt think twice about it. 

I think everybody develops the ability to go really slow. It is a matter of practice that you automatically get while riding. 

Right now i am around the 1000km mark on my ninebot one. This spring I am going to by a KS18. Maybe on the KS18, going slow is a bit more challanging. I think that somehow the manouvrability is linked to the ease of going slow. 

The IPS Lhotz has a chunky 2.5inch tire, which makes slow riding much easier and more stable. 

I've managed some painstakingly slow performances when I'm behind pedestrians on a busy london pavement and Im too lazy to pick up and walk with the wheel. :)

9 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Does idling on the spot count as slow? :)

I agree that slow riding is a great skill to have, it not only helps on crowded pavements during Christmas shopping but also allows you to climb much steeper hills than are possible at high speed.

How long can you idle on the spot without rolling?  That would be a cool skill to learn.  I can only come to a stop briefly, but no more than a second or two then I feel I need to start rolling again.  I know conventional unicyclists can do it, but they need to keep moving a little back and forth slightly.

I usually practice slower speeds while stalking creeping behind pedestrians.  They usually sense or hear that something is behind them and take a look back, and that's when I say hi and do a slow pass around them.  Being a few inches elevated, it's a weird feeling following people.  I feel like I should be wearing a grim reaper costume like in that one Halloween video!  :lol:  Or maybe a vampire costume...

Idling is going back and forth 6" to a foot or so . So not standing still but once you can do it you can keep it up just about indefinately. 

The beauty of that particular skill is that you don't need much room to practice it! :)

I'm onle 400Km experience but I consider I've developed an special hability to ride tooooooooo slow with a zig-zag movement just left-right-left-right and when I'm to close to the pedestrian I open my GW App and ring the "bell" it's funny the surprise face of the people :lol:

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, EnPagés said:

I'm onle 400Km experience but I consider I've developed an special hability to ride tooooooooo slow with a zig-zag movement just left-right-left-right and when I'm to close to the pedestrian I open my GW App and ring the "bell" it's funny the surprise face of the people :lol:

Another very handy option for alerting pedestrians is Run Bell

http://run-bell.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The easiest to ride extremely slow is the airwheel Q1 due to having dual small 12' tires, it is very fun, but not very good to commute since it is a slow wheel and needs a very good surface to ride. As a general rule the bigger the wheel the harder it is to ride slow, but the easier it gets to go over bumps.

1 hour ago, checho said:

The easiest to ride extremely slow is the airwheel Q1 due to having dual small 12' tires, it is very fun, but not very good to commute since it is a slow wheel and needs a very good surface to ride. As a general rule the bigger the wheel the harder it is to ride slow, but the easier it gets to go over bumps.

Two wheels is cheating. :D

Technically it is one wheel since it is one rim,  both wheels rotate as one since they are both using the same rim. It is like if it was a very wide wheel. if both wheels could rotate independently of each other then it would really be 2 wheels. If you had a single rim and a very wide tire and flat ( not round) it would be like having almost the same effect, similar to the ips k1s.

The wider the tire the easier it is to go slow, wide and small makes it very easy to go slow.

Think of Fred flinstones car, since each wheel is a cylinder where both front wheels use the same rim, and both back wheels use the same rim it technically is a bicycle.

Going ultra slow, and around near obstacles is my favorite thing.  I like to ride in the shelter and the park between the support columns and the picnic tables etc.  It is a great workout, too. 

straight and steady estimated 2km/h (0.5m/s), practicing is automatic as I live in a big city and drive most of the time on the sidewalk pretending to be a pedestrian.

23 hours ago, AlanR said:

@John Eucist very impressed with your 'twist' and maintaining a position - I will try to learn this!   I am still stuck at trying to smoothly and reliably reverse from forward!

Some wheels actually don't have enough torque to do "idling" back and forth.  Which euc do you have?

On 4/15/2016 at 5:53 PM, Gimlet said:

Idling is going back and forth 6" to a foot or so . So not standing still but once you can do it you can keep it up just about indefinately. 

The beauty of that particular skill is that you don't need much room to practice it! :)

If you are doing it slowly does that raise the temperature in the mainboard or not?

Archived