San Diego, CA

Joe

4 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Next time you are down, please feel free to message me.

Will do @Flyboy10. I look forward to meeting you and the SD group. I'll keep an eye out for organized rides, too. Add me to the list of SD mentions if you would, please.  

Likewise, if you're planning on being up in OC message me, too. We do a nice beach ride from Balboa Peninsula to Sunset Beach and back. I've even lengthened on occasion to include Corona Del Mar and Long Beach. 

Cheers! :cheers:

Proposed Run: Reservoir to Reservoir

uc?export=view&id=1PgmFLc7HV5y53xeQALe1g

1. Start at Spring Valley Swap Meet (South Parking Lot across Quarry Rd.)
  2. Quarry Trail to Golf Course
  3. Cross Bridge to Sweetwater Summit Regional Park
  4. Proctor Valley Rd. to San Miguel Rd (and bike path)
  5. Follow bike path to Centennial Trail (Otay Lake Reservoir)
  6. Take Eastlake Trails from Olympic Training Center on return trip
  7. Retrace San Miguel/Proctor Valley Rd. back to Sweetwater, etc.
Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JSUN said:

Moving to San Diego in a week. Looking for EUC riders in SD! 

Join the Facebook page (San Diego Electric Unicycle) or message me directly to be added. We typically ride at least once a month. The next ride is on the 12th of Oct.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

Oct 12th at 8:45am meeting at the Blue Sky Ecological Reserve in Poway/Ramona. The ride is 21 miles mostly on paved road with a 7 mile stretch of flat dirt fire road. Steep climb up Mt. Woodson for a chance to stand on Potato Chip Rock. We will have some great views from the top of the dam and even better views from the top of Mt. Woodson. Bring water and a snack. We might even stumble upon a motocross track and do a few laps.  Join the facebook group San Diego Electric Unicycle or PM me for more details.

Tagging @Freewheeler if you want to come and bring anyone else along.

Map Route

5 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Tagging @Freewheeler if you want to come and bring anyone else along.

Thanks @Flyboy10... I was looking at this post just last week, thinking... "I wonder when their next ride is going to be"! 

I'll PM some regulars and see if we can get an OC/LA contingent together. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Update: I tried to preview the ride today and the trail doesn't connect to the road like I thought it did. Still a beautiful ride though so we are just going to split the rides. The to dam and back it's 9 miles. Also I noticed while driving to the motocross track (which I tested today and is not really ridable) the road that we were going to take to Mt Woodson is a two Lane highway with 55 mph speed limit and a tiny shoulder. Not really comfortable with that. 
New plan is to do 2 there and back trips: one to lake Ramona, and then drive to Mt Woodson. It will be about 14 miles of riding. After Mt Woodson if people want more we can go to lake Hodges which is a we'll loved off-road trail that will add 16 more miles should we choose to do the whole thing. Sorry for the late notice @Freewheeler Just to confirm it's still on, just segmented.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, Freewheeler said:

Thanks @Flyboy10... I was looking at this post just last week, thinking... "I wonder when their next ride is going to be"! 

I'll PM some regulars and see if we can get an OC/LA contingent together. :thumbup:

Poway seems pretty remote for luring OC riders (nevermind Angelinos).

Maybe we can look into something in Carlsbad or Vista...

• Like 1

Looking at that video of Mt. Woodson, I wished I could have went. I would even be willing to try the off road part on that day. Sometimes, I am known to go behind Morley Field, and ride around Florida Canyon. I have a lot of fun doing that. So, I am getting my off-road chops in order. Sad I missed it.

• 1 month later...

25 mile ride this Saturday Nov 23 starting from the San Diego zoo at 8:45 am. Heading to sunset cliffs and back. 

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

25 mile ride this Saturday Nov 23 starting from the San Diego zoo at 8:45 am. Heading to sunset cliffs and back. 

Calling all San Diego riders and inviting anyone else who wants to come down from LA, Temecula, or Orange County/Riverside. Maybe even some retired guys @Marty Backe :clap3:

It's gonna be 70 degrees. Ocean views from Sunset Cliffs. This will be a great ride. Show some enthusiasm and don't miss out!

crowd_cheering_475285901-56a122db5f9b58b

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Calling all San Diego riders and inviting anyone else who wants to come down from LA, Temecula, or Orange County/Riverside. Maybe even some retired guys @Marty Backe :clap3:

It's gonna be 70 degrees. Ocean views from Sunset Cliffs. This will be a great ride. Show some enthusiasm and don't miss out!

crowd_cheering_475285901-56a122db5f9b58b

That is the ultimate Sam Diego tour/ride for sure. Wish I could join... Probably won't rode for at least a couple of weeks. Darth Backe should totally join in! 

• Like 2

You guys need to publicize your rides better, rather than burying the announcement in an old thread :D

I assume the San Diego Zoo is a big place. Do you have a specific location where you will be meeting? Is parking free or would I park nearby?

Here is the pin. Free parking

https://goo.gl/maps/mg4CeaeKUDwSeXRA8

Sorry, I plan everything on Facebook and with the weather I wasn't sure it was going to happen. I'll post more when I get home.

Edited by Flyboy10

7 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Here is the pin. Free parking
https://maps.app.goo.gl/dDfxdtzcQXYaWiVJ9

Sorry, I plan everything on Facebook and with the weather I wasn't sure it was going to happen. I'll post more when I get home.

Hmmm. For some reason that pin takes me to a generic zoo posting.

I'm still debating going. It's a ~240 mile round-trip ($40 for my vehicle) and probably 2-1/2 hours of driving one way. Might be a bit too much for such a short ride.

I know what you mean Marty. We still have small wheels down here and want to include as many as possible. I've tailored all the rides down here for ~20 miles. Here is a close representation of what we will be doing. 

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I updated it. I realized I needed to copy the coordinates not the text.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

If you zoom in or go to satellite view it should be the northeast corner of the zoo parking lot

Still doesn't work. I even sent the pin to my phone and same thing. It's just the address of the zoo - not a GPS pin. Could be just me though.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Still doesn't work. I even sent the pin to my phone and same thing. It's just the address of the zoo - not a GPS pin. Could be just me though.

No, its just not you. I tried too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm still debating going. It's a ~240 mile round-trip ($40 for my vehicle) and probably 2-1/2 hours of driving one way. Might be a bit too much for such a short ride.

With the extra  section going out almost to Point Loma, that will add on an extra 8 miles. Almost 28 miles total, right @Flyboy10? Plus, I'll buy @Marty Backe's lunch! 

Point-Loma-from-air-south-e1400519768189

I tried this link on an incognito window and it worked to show the route:

https://goo.gl/maps/zk97Y3ZeyUGkGSEv5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

With the extra  section going out almost to Point Loma, that will add on an extra 8 miles. Almost 28 miles total, right @Flyboy10? Plus, I'll buy @Marty Backe's lunch! 

Point-Loma-from-air-south-e1400519768189

I tried this link on an incognito window and it worked to show the route:

https://goo.gl/maps/zk97Y3ZeyUGkGSEv5

That map link does work.

I'm thinking about it, but it really is a long haul to get there :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm thinking about it, but it really is a long haul to get there :unsure:

Your call. Totally understand. But, remember all those people who came to your LA Tour? Let us know when your next ride is and we'll see if we can get some more LA<=>SD group rides going on in the future. We should have a strong SoCal group like they have up in SFO. And remember, Free Lunch is offered to the LA EUC Caped Crusader :cheers:

• Like 2