Help! My wheel is bouncy after tire change.

Hey Everyone,

I replaced my EX20s(HS) stock CST tyre with a Kenda. 

But now my wheel is bouncy and a little wobbly. 

I checked that all the beads were aligned, inflated, and deflated the tyre several times, but the problem persisted. 

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? 

3 hours ago, Samantha_C said:

Hey Everyone,

I replaced my EX20s(HS) stock CST tyre with a Kenda. 

But now my wheel is bouncy and a little wobbly. 

I checked that all the beads were aligned, inflated, and deflated the tyre several times, but the problem persisted. 

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? 

Honestly if you went street to knobby that's probably what you are experiencing. You will get acclimated just keep at it

38 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Honestly if you went street to knobby that's probably what you are experiencing. You will get acclimated just keep at it

Not really. I went from knobby CST to knobby Kenda. 

I wonder if the tyre needs breaking in. 

Posted (edited)

Bead is one thing... You need to check also center,  follow the knobs and see if they don't go ~~~~~

Also new tire.. You need to ride 200-400km to break it in, rub some tread off - to get it even.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Funky said:

Bead is one thing... You need to check also center,  follow the knobs and see if they don't go ~~~~~

Also new tire.. You need to ride 200-400km to break it in, rub some tread off - to get it even.

Hey Funky,

You were right! I tried centering the tyre as best I can, in the end, there was still a little ~~~. But the wobble and bounciness was 95% gone! I think I just need to break the tyre in now. Thanks again. :)

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Samantha_C said:

Hey Funky,

You were right! I tried centering the tyre as best I can, in the end, there was still a little ~~~. But the wobble and bounciness was 95% gone! I think I just need to break the tyre in now. Thanks again. :)

I personally don't even care if tire is 100% centered. When i do winter/summer tire change - i center it as much as i can and then simply ride.. It isn't worth sitting there 1-2 hours trying to get it centered as much as possible. 

I simply follow the bead and check maybe 2-3 times center to get mostly in line. Takes about ~10 minutes to get it centered "good enough" for me.

I like to put my wheel on stand and attach big nail or pen in center of stand and then spin tire by hand and center it.. Much faster and easier than trying to "eye"  center it..

Most wobbles happen when tire has to much PSI in it.. Riding something like 45PSI tire is very hard and it feel like you are riding on "knife edge" - because only tire center is touching the ground.. Lower PSI most of tire tread is touching the ground and that "knife edge" feeling goes away, so do wobbles.. I personally ride around 30psi and am 280lbs heavy - just for example. :) 

Edited by Funky

Try to deflate the tire (50%) and ride for few minutes. Then inflate the tire more than usual and ride for few minutes. Go back to your usual tire pressure and you are done.

On 6/21/2024 at 11:20 PM, Ben Kim said:

kenda 262 should be run around 32 psi. Less if you weigh less 

Thanks Ben, I weigh 150 lbs, and 28 psi is the most I can tolerate. I start getting wobbles and feel like I'm riding on a knife edge above 30 psi. 

8 minutes ago, Samantha_C said:

I weigh 150 lbs, and 28 psi is the most I can tolerate. I start getting wobbles and feel like I'm riding on a knife edge above 30 psi. 

Interesting. That's how I used to feel on my V12 with a lesser tire.

1 hour ago, Samantha_C said:

I weigh 150 lbs, and 28 psi is the most I can tolerate. I start getting wobbles and feel like I'm riding on a knife edge above 30 psi. 

I weigh 280lbs and THAT'S how i felt at beginning when i started to ride.. Anything over 28psi it felt like riding on knife edge!!! Non stop wobbles at speeding/braking.. At 28psi all that went away. Only if i went over 30psi.

You need to simply get used to new tire OR change back to old one..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Samantha_C said:

Thanks Ben, I weigh 150 lbs, and 28 psi is the most I can tolerate. I start getting wobbles and feel like I'm riding on a knife edge above 30 psi. 

Sounds about right. I weigh 180 back when I used that tire and used 32. Obviously if you weigh less you use less tire pressure. 

You can get it perfectly centered from the start. Spin by hand and focus on high/low spots. Focus on locating them. Then deflate and push high spots inward a bit, and pull on the low spots. With practice you reduce the amount of deflations.

And if the rim isn't perfectly round you can't look at the rim/tire interface for those spots. It's better to look at the middle of the tire's gap against a fender or well placed pencil/object as you spin the wheel by hand.