MSP (MSuper Pro) Litech Fuse Blowing

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into problems with the battery pack fuses blowing. Just had a pretty hard crash on concrete and earlier this week I got stranded on some mountain biking trails and had to walk it out. During my ride today the wheel fully shutoff at around 33km/h and maybe 36A power draw. During the ride I had gotten to 52kmh and ~50A current, I didn't get any beeps or anything just got dumped onto the ground and the shell is split.

The one thing I have changed recently was replacing the control board fan with a new one. Instead of a 0.5a fan, it's around 0.3a but provides very similar airflow. The max temperature got to 42c, so that also shouldn't be an issue. Is it possible the fan was the problem, I don't really understand how that could be the case but I can't think of anything else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not sure I want to use the wheel until I figure out what caused me to crash without warning

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/mechatronics-fan-group/MR4020X12B-RSR

Screenshot_20240522_211534_EUC World.jpg

Screenshot_20240522_214758_EUC World.jpg

Your  minimum voltage of 70v looks bad.  That is below 3v per cell.  The sag took you pretty low.  Maybe over lean territory.

Does the wheel turn on? 

Does it charge to 100.8v?

Are you replacing fuses?

Are you running on two 900Wh packs?

How many km do you have on the packs?

If you're going to pull a lot of current out of high capacity packs that are a bit aged, only do so at high charge levels. It seems like you tried to pull 40A at 46% battery. You can do that with newer cells or higher current cells. Like the previous poster mentioned, 70V is overlean territory. 

I suggest to set a minimum safety limit alarm in Eucworld and respect it. It will tell you when you're pulling too much.

You should hear 3 and 5 beeps out of the wheel too, way before it happens.

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure the 70v reading was from when the fuse blew since that should be dead, where I still had 46% even with the voltage sag. I think 0% battery is 79v.

I have the dual litech packs and right now they charge to ~100.5v

I recently had to replace the fuses but I just heard from ewheels that I should put 40a fuses instead of the 20's. I think the packs themselves were quite new since it was part of the recall and maybe had 1000km on then.

I found it weird that the Safety margin was still showing as 35%, I had just gone much faster and accelerated hard with no issues

Edited by FormulaEmu
Adding details

I imagine the 40a, or even a 30a fuse would work and I'm glad to know it wont damage the batteries if it gets up to higher current. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this issue it'll help them fix it!

Oh no, these are the post recall batteries. The originals didn't have fuses. The litech batteries are supposed to have 30a fuses according to the ewheels so the previous owner potentially put a 20a in by accident

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FormulaEmu said:

Oh no, these are the post recall batteries. The originals didn't have fuses. The litech batteries are supposed to have 30a fuses according to the ewheels so the previous owner potentially put a 20a in by accident

The Samsung packs had 30A/per side & 40A for the Molicel packs. In pratice, the packs, even the Samsung ones have been tested for 40A. These fuses are supposed to be rated for the 'sustained' load, peak current can be many more times the rated load. 

Low profile mini blade fuse.

Blow time:
110%: 4 hours minimum
135%: 0.75 to 1800 seconds
200%: 0.15 to 5 seconds
350%: 0.08 seconds max.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2024 at 1:05 AM, FormulaEmu said:

Just had a pretty hard crash on concrete

Was the EUC operational, immediately after this crash? 

(If so, we can't blame fuses...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 10:01 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

Was the EUC operational, immediately after this crash? 

(If so, we can't blame fuses...)

It was not at all operational, the motor wasn't locked up but the power button wouldn't do anything at all. I replaced the fuses and it works fine but I'm a bit scared that I have no warning before cutoff. I'll make sure to ride a bit more chill from now on

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Is there a public announcement or recall about these Litech packs with undersized fuses?

There aren't that many litech packs out there since they were just part of the ewheels recall. I might just throw the 40 amp fuses in there and call it good. The original batteries don't even have fuses so this was just an extra safety measure. I don't know that this has been a common issue, the only other one I could find was U-Stride blowing it at a race so I think you have to push it pretty hard off the line to blow it

On 5/23/2024 at 1:05 AM, FormulaEmu said:

Just had a pretty hard crash on concrete

and earlier this week I got stranded on some mountain biking trails and had to walk it out

So, two incidents: First incident riding MTB; second on pavement.

Which incident melted the fuses? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 10:24 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

So, two incidents: First incident riding MTB; second on pavement.

Which incident melted the fuses? 

Both incidents melted the fuses, after the first one I replaced the fuses and rode for a while before the second incident blew the fuses again