Riding backwards on Electric Unicycle

Henrik Olsen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I keep going to a hockey rink to practice going backwards. I am a slow learner and I spent probably around 10 hours total, from totally fear of going back to now being comfortably riding backward for a long time. Now I am practicing back and fore at the same place. The process had a lot of fun. A stranger even gave me tons of encouragement. 

In reality going back doesn't have much use. It's just another way to show off. Stepping on/off the EUC is much more important.

Just like going forward, going backward will be easier if you build up some speed. Slowly going back is much more difficult than going back at a steady speed. The fun of practicing it is that you are so afraid of going back fast but you have to do it anyway, then after a few close call of falling you will realize that you actually can jump off and be safe before you fall. It's all about conquering your fear.

I have the same issue as @EUCMania. I know you need to keep your shoulders squared when looking backwards. Maybe my peripheral vision needs some fine tuning:)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I have the same issue as @EUCMania. I know you need to keep your shoulders squared when looking backwards. Maybe my peripheral vision needs some fine tuning:)

No need to keep the shoulders squared. I started with looking back one side then looking back to the other side from time to time. Not able to see what's behind me gave me more fear that falling.

but I have to admit that during  the first few successful attempts I wasn't looking back and my heart was pounding like hell. After I could go over 10 feet I always look back.

@Philip W i agree. I had no problem looking and going backwards on an Airwheel. Nb1 is just different. I'm intensifying my 'backward'  training this week before my Inmotion V5F + arrives. Hopefully my somatosensory reflexes cooperate. 

I have a TG T3 and a NB1E+. Going backwards is a lot easier on TG T3 for me. Do not know why. Maybe because the TG is 14" and its tire is more square-ish in cross section?

Or maybe TG T# is symmetric in forward backward directions while NB1's forward and backward behaviors are different?

3 hours ago, Marvin Ong said:

I need to learn how to do it without the wall.

Just let go. Trust yourself that you can jump off before falling. Wear protection gear and know how to roll on the ground before you actually fall.

I've been practicing riding backwards on my NB1 and my biggest problem so far is my feet keep moving around on the pedals as I control my balance. I decided to install some 4" wide grip tape on the pedals. The stuff is basically 80 grit sandpaper with adhesive backing. What a difference in the grip of my feet on the pedals. The grip tape went right over the existing rubber grips on the pedals. I just cleaned the pedals really well with a solvent before application.The tape can be easily removed and changed in the future.

This should make my next bucket list of riding on one foot easier as well. About $15/ roll on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A2CVT1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_3534gif.gif

IMG_3536gif.gif

Been riding for about a month, I'm one of those people who just hopped on and rode, Beer helped a lot. practiced riding backwards next to a railing for a while for feel, but I found just a fast transition from forward to reverse, then keep the knees bent to ride backwards without the rail works best.

Archived