KingSong KS16 Video Review

Henrik Olsen

My review of the new KS16 from KingSong ...  I will say it's everything that Ninebot should have done with model P ;-) - I think it's a winner... 

Review Summary

Overall:
I very pleased with the product (based on limited use).. I will say it's everything that Ninebot should have done with model P ;-) - I think it's a winner... 

Good stuff: 

• It rides really well and offers a nice balance between power, comfort and stability.. 
  • Really nice design, very beautiful on the same level as Ninebot..  
  • Material has a good feel and quality seems high..
  • Riding mode feels a lot stiffer than KS14c
  • Very smart integration of the light (switching direction)
  • Bluetooth seems a lot more intuitive than KS14c
  • Integrated handlebar is a really great idea and it feels solid when it's not extracted.. 
  • Anti-slip on the pedal gives a really good contact to the food rest... 
  • Pedal height is good for tight turns
  • Side protection cushions are placed perfectly and offers good support..
  • Rubber plastic cap for the charging port that is attached to the KS16 is really good...

Bad/observations:

• Computer voice is really loud... It's nice at first, but this will annoy me in the long run. It can be switched off from the App
  • More noisy than expected, high pitch noise is louder than KS14c and the cooling fan inside is notable.. What happens if the fan breaks?
  • Missing a integrated park stand, it would be nice to have a way to park the unit upright and not have to lay it down.
  • Fod pedal does not operate as smooth as I could wish, takes a lot of force to bring the down (minor thing)... 

I would like to know more details regarding the cooling fan. For example, is it powered by the spin of the wheel, or by the battery? Etc.

35 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

@Cloud it does stand on it's own... but not very securely .... a bit of wind would knock it off...

Perhaps an easy modification would resolve it, maybe attach a couple of short plastic pieces of whatever is around the house, on sides at points of contact to increase the length of the support base.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove 53 Km on one day (full 680kW battery) and the KS16 still showed 4 LEDs lighted up. But I think it all depends on the battery, your weight, your driving style, tyre pressure, surface condition, inclines, declines, wind and temperature...

There's new information on how KS are programming their BMS's: until yesterday I was under the impression that they had the low-battery threshold at 56v & out-of-battery threshold at 53-54v. It turns out that the low-battery is actually 50v & out-of-battery 48v. You need to be careful not too push the Wheel to hard when it's in the 53-50v territory, [edit:] though I've been assured by KS that this been tested extensively in the 16".

• 9 months later...
On 4/1/2016 at 7:22 PM, Henrik Olsen said:

What happens if the fan breaks?

This was a worry I had when the KS16 first came out. Probably the fan is sufficiently robust, however, because I am unaware of any complaints of cooling fan failure in the KS16.

37 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

This was a worry I had when the KS16 first came out. Probably the fan is sufficiently robust, however, because I am unaware of any complaints of cooling fan failure in the KS16.

it would get to warm (if very! stressed) and than warn you about overheat....like any other wheel!

Thats it :-)

its just an extra safety option....which "defect" would not let the wheel die or you faceplant....

As i rode the Ks16 in Thailand at 35degree celsius btw....the fan only operates when very strong uphills or longer powerful rides...as it only gets activated by over 55degree. Which btw. is reported by the app also....(the fan activation AND the temp)

• 3 months later...

Short review of KS16 - after 1000km, it is not comprehensive , but I hope it helps to get some more knowledge to those interested in getting new unicycle. I have previous personal experience with Ninebot and also a bit with Inmotion V5 and V8  - Kingsong seems to be the best choice in my opinion.

No failures so far, battery is OK, 60km range is true, if You have questions - please ask.  

Archived