New to the forum and Electric Unicycling

Oly

Hey Everyone, 

I'm new to the forum, but hoping to gain the forums collective wisdom and knowledge.

I decided..... perhaps foolishly, to buy the Airwheel X8 from the official airwheel website in the UK. Despite a few disappointments regarding what the website said it was, i have "technically" got a good hang of it and am zooming around.

Last night, i decided to do a long run on the seafront, smooth and level ground. Now I'm not sure this is a problem, but as i push to go to the maximum speed, the unit/ pedals push up to stop me going faster, which i understand as a safety feature. My question is though, should it always be doing that, would it not level out once the maximum speed is reached? to cruise at the maximum?  the angel it is at leaves me having to stop and give my legs a rest. 

any help on this would be great

Hello and welcome,

I have a X8 which I really like :)

My X8 will lift the pedals when max speed is reached but as soon as the speed is reduced it will level the pedals again. After a while you get the feeling for it and will be able to run close to the beeping/lifting speed without getting interrupted.

Yes, all manufacturers exaggerate, some much more so than others... In our tests, the X8 has a realistic cruising speed of about 16kph, beyond that, the pedal tilt-pitch-up makes it very difficult to go any faster. It's important to realize that the X8 only has 16 18650 cells, so is comparatively not all that great/powerful; any self-respecting Wheel in that price range should have 32 cells or more. This would provide you with double the power/range over a 16 cell model & give you a couple more kph for good measure.

I have no first-hand experience on Airwheels, and believe them to be fairly good quality wheels in general, but at least here the prices in the couple of domestic web stores that sell them are pretty high (500-700€ for X3/X5, 830-1000+€ for X8) compared to their battery sizes (130/170Wh). And the range the sellers/manufacturer advertise for those battery sizes is exaggerated, although same goes probably for pretty much every wheel. You can get a Ninebot One E (240Wh) for the same price as X8.

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the welcome and quick replies. Thank you for the tip Lorents. 
I must admit, and of course it is only a personal view, but i do feel i have been ripped off with the X8. I was going to get the X5 but went for the "longer" range and 800watt motor and the carbon fibre case. Of course, it said on the website that the case was actually carbon fibre, so when i discovered it wasn't, i was not best pleased. Dont get me wrong, I'm realistic about carbon fibre being expensive, but the site should not say its real when it isnt, and now with the exaggerated speed.... sad times lol

I have raised it with them and trading standards, they do not seem to be interested. The thing is, i do not consider myself a unfair person, after falling off the wheel (obviously being a bit gung ho lol) i scratched the casing which confirmed it was not carbon fibre. I'm not going to send back a scratched product, seems unfair. However, they could be dealing with it better. and, to make things worse, they have changed their website now!! Luckily i have evidence 

I almost bought an x8 before I came on here had my heart set on it now I've bought a cheap chinese copy zip wheel by 8 ball from ebay second hand for 150 quid (bargain) as long as it works lol looks pretty scratched up and what have you but if I learn on that an like it I'll be investing in a faster larger wheel not sure which one yet maybe a gotway 18 cos those things sound beasty or maybe if speed isn't an issue and my chinese one is quick enough a ninebot... time will tell...

I would not feel too bad @Oly, we are all pioneers here so there are bound to be both good and bad things about every wheel. The important thing is that now you have a wheel and can learn how to ride it well. Your second wheel will be a lot better because of what you learned on this one! It doesn't sound like your X8 is broken, just that it isn't as fast as you would like. Get really good at riding it and sell it to someone who wants to learn, then buy a better one.

Just to confirm Oly, the tilt is a safety feature which is designed to stop prolonged riding at a high speed.  The idea is that this feeling is uncomfortable and so you slow down, the wheel then reverts to it's normal position & you can continue in comfort.

Archived