The Photo Thread

SlowMo

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet @Scatcat feels it necessary to change his tires for winter. Maybe it depends on the type of riding you do?

I haven't tried running with a different tire yet, so I can't comment on that.

You definitely need a  different tire if you want to go riding through snowy forest trails because there is no solid base; the stock, street tire just sinks into the snow base and spins. But as long as under the snow the wheel can get to a hard surface (whether it be ice or pavement), you're good to go with just the stock tire.

I was all set to put studs on the ACM2 this winter until I found out that studded bicycles and wheels alike were falling over in the same winter conditions I was riding. And I have occasionally passed fat bikes with studded tires on bad days this winter, sometimes even being walked.  So I fell into the category of "it ain't broke so don't fix it" for this year, especially since this is my ride to work and I don't want to take any chances of ruining that.

I still think studs must make riding on severe ice easier, that old EUCExtreme video was pretty convincing, I just don't have any hard proof that it does. Next winter I hope to take two identical wheels, one with studs and one without, and see how they compare in a controlled test.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I haven't tried running with a different tire yet, so I can't comment on that.

You definitely need a  different tire if you want to go riding through snowy forest trails because there is no solid base; the stock, street tire just sinks into the snow base and spins. But as long as under the snow the wheel can get to a hard surface (whether it be ice or pavement), you're good to go with just the stock tire.

I was all set to put studs on the ACM2 this winter until I found out that studded bicycles and wheels alike were falling over in the same winter conditions I was riding. And I have occasionally passed fat bikes with studded tires on bad days this winter, sometimes even being walked.  So I fell into the category of "it ain't broke so don't fix it" for this year, especially since this is my ride to work and I don't want to take any chances of ruining that.

I still think studs must make riding on severe ice easier, that old EUCExtreme video was pretty convincing, I just don't have any hard proof that it does. Next winter I hope to take two identical wheels, one with studs and one without, and see how they compare in a controlled test.

Oh man, we wait to wait a whole year to find out :popcorn:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet @Scatcat feels it necessary to change his tires for winter. Maybe it depends on the type of riding you do?

Actually it depends on conditions and mind set, I would say. This time I studded the street tire, I have ordered a snow tire and maybe I will switch, we'll see.

My everyday ride is a commute with a laptop strapped to my back (in a protective case, but anyway). I ride in a city where the temperature this time of year wobbles around the freezing point, which means my road is slush, partly packed snow, patches of ice or partly thawed and then frozen snow and all the other kind of deviltry you really don't want under your tire. The communal services for the roads is negligible. I also share the road with all too many bikes and pedestrians.

I am all about safety, so I want to be able to brake hard and I would hate to slip and run off when face to face with a pedestrian. Also I really don't crave the drama of impersonating Bambi early in the morning...

Studs are not magic. The wheel will slip on loose snow, studs or not, that needs a snow tire to negotiate safely. But what it provides is that crucial grip when you Need To Stop Now, or when the thin layer of snow that shouldn't be a problem hides an ice patch underneath. If conditions stay the same for long, I will switch to the snow tire when I get it, and screw in best-grip studs into it. Those are cruel and unusual punishment for ice, and digs in into almost anything - snow, ice, slush, concrete, asphalt, whatever. They're sharp like spikes and made of volfram carbide.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2019 at 4:28 PM, Scatcat said:

There is a cheaper variant that is better for summer temps, that is called Icon Merc Stealth. They share the All Murdered Out-esthetics.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=136400106&ViewAction=ViewProduct

So I got it today, and it looks ridiculously good on, even better than the photos. A MC-jacket that I'd happily don for a night out. It's casual and stylish at the same time, and the material is soft shell and leather trimmings. The D3O-padding sits in just the right places. At 6" tall and 88kg/194lbs the XL-size is just right for having a thick sweater underneath. Large would probably be just a tad too small if I want something warm underneath. I'd say it is just warm enough for early/mid spring without extras under, probably as most soft-shells a tad warm for true summer - even if there are ventilation zippers you can open. At least if you're not driving pretty fast.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/31/2019 at 11:26 AM, Scatcat said:

So I got it today, and it looks ridiculously good on, even better than the photos. A MC-jacket that I'd happily don for a night out. It's casual and stylish at the same time, and the material is soft shell and leather trimmings. The D3O-padding sits in just the right places. At 6" tall and 88kg/194lbs the XL-size is just right for having a thick sweater underneath. Large would probably be just a tad too small if I want something warm underneath. I'd say it is just warm enough for early/mid spring without extras under, probably as most soft-shells a tad warm for true summer - even if there are ventilation zippers you can open. At least if you're not driving pretty fast.

Looking at this myself now. Really nice jacket. 

1 hour ago, Hansolo said:

I'm not the author ( @OliG ) of this photo but The MSX in the left it's mine...

DoubleMSX.jpg

Nice photo!

Please tell us... assuming everything else is the same, how do the different tyres compare?

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Marty Backe said:

IMG_0152

Nice artistic blurred background, enhances the feeling of speed, movement, etc.  And of course, nothing says artist like a black and white.;) the cheeky grin; nice touch.

EDIT: still haven't inflated that tyre, I see.:whistling:

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Nice artistic blurred background, enhances the feeling of speed, movement, etc.  And of course, nothing says artist like a black and white.;) the cheek grin; nice touch.

Took quite a few tries with my wife tracking me to get the shot. These are often hard to shoot because the shutter speed has to be low (1/30-second in this case) to capture the motion blur in the background, but the person holding the camera has to match your moving speed.

I like a nice black-and-white photo.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

IMG_0152

Codo to your wife, good shot.👌

As for that smile...it is the same cheeky smile as a child peeing its pant on a cold winter daycheor just some having a blast of a time, you pick 😆

• Like 3

The LA Times says the Sierra's got huge amounts of snow. Maybe Donner pass ,near Truckee, looks like this:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-snow-sierra-resorts-mammoth-tahoe-20190204-story.html

@Marty Backe

So....a few months ago I watched this and a few other videos on the topic of Sierra railroad snowsheds

Touring them in warmer weather by EUC came to mind....

I rented a vehicle (pickup truck) in SF after conference stay in SF many years ago during the fall foliage season. The drive to Reno and on to Tahoe went along a highway where you could see some closed railroad structures (snowsheds ...active or the abandoned) along the mountainside.

From the YouTube group 'Virtual Railfan' you can 24/7 watch the railroad traffic at a number of locations in the USA.

One Virtual Railfan' cam is in Barstow, CA. near Los Angeles.

4:27 EST screen grab - Barstow, CA Virtual Railfan cam

Container rail transport on Barstow Virtual railfan

The idea of trans loaded multiplex container (ship, rail, flatbed truck) transport came to mind such as the Phoenix, AZ company 'Swift'. I forget which Virtual Railfan' cam I was looking at but it was all 'Swift containers' on flatbed rail cars.

https://www.swifttrans.com/

Of course on my second trip to California ( maybe 2001) for the same medical genetics conference group (ASHG), the boss made it clear to keep expenses down to about $1,000. So I booked a round trip flight on Southwest, a few nights at the Pacific Inn and ate breakfast and some other meals at the 'Jack in the Box' next door. The commuter rail was nearby and went downtown where the conference was held. I think the woman who booked me at the Pacific Inn was really happy to book several consecutive nights out of my phone call. I remember seeing a woman selling sticks of incense at one of the stops downtown.

It was a different conference experience than the SF conference.

Jack in the Box, San Diego Pacific Inn

The events of 9/11 were just a few weeks old and the flights included passing by armed MPs guarding the airport and passenger boarding areas.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

Turned out to be only -33c in the end. :efefc8626c: Took me three tries to get over a bump that led into white ice in an intersection, much to the amusement of the waiting traffic, first time I've cursed on camera I think...all good in the end though.

• Like 2

Minus33Minus 27 part one

Part 2

Image is  from my -33c ride in to work yesterday, but wheel log is from the -27c ride in this morning. I didn't take the stats from yesterdays ride because I wiped out a couple of times and that skewed the numbers.

Notable: after about 19km total (two ways yesterday, one way today) the battery went from 100% to 75%, although yesterday when I finished the ride it was reporting 67% so it seemed to be confused by the ambient temperature. Also, after 18 minutes in -27c today, the temperature of the wheel was being reported as 12c. Ride was 18 minutes, about four minutes longer than I would do the ride in the summer.

Hopefully I'll have a vid or two out later in the week.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1