Toyota Releases the Winglet, 6kph Self-balancing Device

Jason McNeil

I know we're close to April 1st, but I'm completely at a loss to understand what Toyota hope to achieve with this, 6kph max speed, even hopping on one leg is faster....Besides the superficial resemblance, compared to something like Inmotion's R1EX, it seems hopelessly primitive.

Toyota's Wing next to Inmotion's R1EX

toyota-winglet-tokyo-waterfront-city-tri   InMotion-SCV-R1EX-xlarge_02.jpg

http://www.gizmag.com/toyota-winglet-tokyo-waterfront-city-trial/42475/ 

The Winglet has a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) and is said to require minimal effort to operate, making it quicker and less tiring to get around on than walking. It's 4-km (2.5-mi) range gives it potential for use on last-mile journeys or by tourists. Indeed, its potential as a tourism resource is one area at which the trial will look, along with the device's use around pedestrians....

Oh wow, worst performance than a mobility scooter: 4MPH, 2.5 mile range, tiny wheels, been around since 2008, and they are only going to let members of the public who either hold a motorbike licence or pass a training course ride it - you couldn't make it up as an April Fools joke.

To me, the expression on the face of the guy in the grey shirt on the yellow one says it all - more wing nut than winglet! 

Edit: I've just realised the zombie looking guy on the yellow machine is actually on the Inmotion R1EX: $2499 for a 9MPH, 18 mile range mini Segway doesn't seem a much better bet than the Toyota. Looks like the Ninebot Mini is still the one to beat in the 2 wheel market.

I doubt they invested much to create such a "high-tech" ;)

But they may have some selling success just because of the big brand name Toyota...or at least, they will try.

Archived