Ninebot One C+- kick back and big tumbles

julien

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Ninebot One C+ and roughly got to ride 10km on it so far. Found it fairly easy to handle but also got a few tumbles when for no apparent reason, while riding the bot "kicks back" so strongly that I can't fight the back push and am forced to get-off/fall.It happened 2-3 times already and I have been careful to disable to speed limit option on the app so i am not sure what i did wrong. If anyone can help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Julien

Hi Julien,

Is this your first time riding a wheel or the Ninebot One? The peddles tilt because the wheel thinks you're going too fast or if the battery gets too low. The tilt back feature, on the Ninebot One, can be a bit daunting at first. You can't fight to tilt the peddles back up, It wont work. However, you can brake a little and it will even itself out. I've experienced the tilt back and an extreme tilt back on flat terrain, rough terrain, going up and down hill. I don't dismount and I don't fall when I swing the wheel in front of me to slow it down. It may take some time to get used to the mannerisms of the Ninebot One but the more you ride it the more you'll learn about it.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. Makes a lot of sense. It is indeed my first wheel with the Ninebot One and I might have been going too fast. I believed it would not take me above the max speed on its own but I take it I will need to keep an eye on the speed somehow... Thanks for the advice, I will apply this tonight and see how that works out. You have a Ninebot One as well?

Thanks for the help!

Julien

I don't have my Ninebot One yet, but most wheels have the tilt-back "safety"-feature, where the wheel tilts the pedals backwards by rising the front (over compensating your lean) when you're going near the max speed or if the battery is low. At least on my 14" generic (the Firewheel doesn't have tilt-back), you can still keep accelerating even after the pedals start to tilt just by leaning forwards, but it will shut down if you go over the max speed, so it's not advised.

I've read somewhere that the newer Ninebot One -firmware would have disabled the shutdown (not 100% sure on this), meaning the wheel won't shut down going over the max speed, but not sure if that's a good thing either; since the motor cannot spin the wheel fast enough to keep you upright anymore accelerating, the pedals will start to tilt FORWARDS, but at least you can (maybe) still save the situation if you can start to brake fast enough, before it goes over... :rolleyes:

Hi Esaj,

Thanks for your comments. I definitely get the safety feature, I think it is a matter of getting used to the unit and how it responds to certain actions, such as overspeeding. I will continue to practice on this in particular to avoid falling on my face on my way to work! I have actually wrote Ninebot so they can release a smart watch compatible update of their app so that users can check speed and battery level directly on the watch and at a glance. Riding with a smartphone in your hand is not very safe I find. Watch would be best.

What wheel do you have?

Cheers

My wheels are listed on my signature, I'm still waiting for my Ninebot to arrive. I've been thinking about getting a cheap, new enough (Android 4.3, Bluetooth LE-support, cheapest Huaweis are around €50) Android-phone without a SIM-card to use with the Ninebot. I figured I could use Velcro or similar to attach it to the backplate of my wrist guard, so I could glance it while riding...

Duh! Checking posts on Mobile not the best. did not read the signature. Looks like you have a nice little collection going.

For a device I had a similar idea with a cheap ipod (used) but I figured I would wait for them to update for smart watch. In the meantime I have to be more prudent... 

I've read somewhere that the newer Ninebot One -firmware would have disabled the shutdown (not 100% sure on this), meaning the wheel won't shut down going over the max speed, but not sure if that's a good thing either; since the motor cannot spin the wheel fast enough to keep you upright anymore accelerating, the pedals will start to tilt FORWARDS, but at least you can (maybe) still save the situation if you can start to brake fast enough, before it goes over... :rolleyes:

My wheel as never cut out on at max speed (23-24km/h). It just tilts back. I, myself, like the tilt feature versus the beeps. It gives me a good feel for the wheel of when to accelerate and when to slow down. I also ride with in-ear head phones so I don't hear the beeps that much anyways. After riding the wheel you'll notice that nothing is sudden and surprising. What I mean is it wont just cut out on you out of nowhere or hit a secret turbo button to boost your acceleration. As the battery life dwindles you notice how different the wheel response is. Everything is gradual. It's a good synergy between rider and wheel.

Yeah, pretty much the only real problem I've had with the Firewheel so far has been the lack of tilt-back or other non-auditory, sensory feedback when going too fast. There's the "take care, take care"-voice message played back when getting near the top speed, but with full-face helmet, wind and possibly other noises around you (like cars), it can be hard to hear, and I've probably missed it totally a couple of times. Even higher volume would help. No falls or cut-outs at least yet, luckily. But probably with time, I'll learn to feel when I'm at or near the top speed. Also hope I won't fall if (and when) I find the actual max speed... :D

I like the Firewheel. It has a lot of what I want in a wheel - speed, range, size, lights, design (sexy). There's really only one thing that would keep me from purchasing it and that's that it cuts out at limit (or so that's what I've read, I think?). Some of my daily routes include bike lanes that share the streets with other cars, trucks, buses, etc. I can't risk it cutting out on a road that could put me that kind of harms way. If I had my way with the beeps/voices versus tilting peddles, I would choose tilting peddles all day long.

Vee said to me that the wheel cuts out at 28km/h, but the BMS wasn't shunted yet when he last rode it that fast. Hobby16 says his Firewheel with a shunted BMS doesn't cut out but instead does the weird sudden acceleration to 30+km/h after hitting the 28km/h limit, but it also has newer mainboard (at least I think so), so don't know if it will cut out or not at 28km/h anymore, and haven't dared to try yet  ;)  Looks like it finally stopped raining and I can actually see the sky... I'm off -> :D

Well don't ask me to try @esaj, I haven't shunted my BMS and I still value my life! B) I will probably open my wheel up for maintenance in a few months and install the shunt before the weather turns cold, but in the meantime I will take it easy with speed. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Esaj,

Thanks for your comments. I definitely get the safety feature, I think it is a matter of getting used to the unit and how it responds to certain actions, such as overspeeding. I will continue to practice on this in particular to avoid falling on my face on my way to work! I have actually wrote Ninebot so they can release a smart watch compatible update of their app so that users can check speed and battery level directly on the watch and at a glance. Riding with a smartphone in your hand is not very safe I find. Watch would be best.

What wheel do you have?

Cheers

Ninebot already released a wristband.

• 2 weeks later...

Ninebot already released a wristband.

Is it a wristband to connect directly to the ninebot one, or through the mobile phone? And if it works with the phone, does it work with Apple or Android?

thanks

Is it a wristband to connect directly to the ninebot one, or through the mobile phone? And if it works with the phone, does it work with Apple or Android?

thanks

Anybody knows about this?

Anybody knows about this?

I would like to know, too.  I have been frustrated while trying to find any information about Ninebot One and the Mi exercise band.  

Archived