Help! - replace battery for Airwheel X3

EU_commuter

I had an Airwheel X3 for almost two years and use it to commute daily (~6miles of mostly flat paths).  I can tell that the battery has reached the end of life: shuts down when going up even small slopes and the mileage is half of what used to be.  I followed suggestions from the posts of this forum and ordered 132Wh battery from Banggood.  It arrived today.

newBattery.thumb.jpg.04ec904b294bedc8d48

However, when I open the Airwhell shell and the connectors don't match:

AirwheelX3_battery_connection.thumb.jpg.

The red "T" connectors seem to match.  However, on Airwheel thicker wires are connected to the male red "T" connector and on the new battery quite thin wires are on the female red 'T" connector. 

On the new battery, thicker wires are on the yellow connector.  On Airwheel, thin wires are on the black connector.

My question is: should I cut off the connectors from the new and old batteries,  connect the thicker wires on the new battery to the female red 'T" connector, and  connect the thinner wires on the new battery to the female black connector (was on the old battery)?

Appreciate any suggestions.

I've never seen that black connector that's on the EUC. The connector setup on your new battery is the more common one that I've seen. The thin wires are for charging and the thick wires lead to the control board and motor. So you want thin to thin and thick to thick, double checking the red/black colors are matched too. 

Since either battery is "live", it is probably less risk of a short to put new connectors on the Airwheel side where there is no voltage. Also if you have to get a new battery later you're much more likely to find the kind of connector setup you have on your new battery.

You can get some of the yellow XT60 connectors for cheap from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/OOOUSE-XT60-Connector-Pairs-pairs/dp/B005FAPYXS . The other is a Deans connector, you can just buy a new one http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Connectors-Deans-Style-Female/dp/B0070RS7V0 . Other than that all you need is a soldering iron, solder, and a little bit of heat shrink tubing. You could use some silicone seal around the connector metal instead of shrink if you want.

Before reconnecting the plugs, double check that you got the right colors on the right spots. 

19 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I've never seen that black connector that's on the EUC. The connector setup on your new battery is the more common one that I've seen. The thin wires are for charging and the thick wires lead to the control board and motor. So you want thin to thin and thick to thick, double checking the red/black colors are matched too. 

Since either battery is "live", it is probably less risk of a short to put new connectors on the Airwheel side where there is no voltage. Also if you have to get a new battery later you're much more likely to find the kind of connector setup you have on your new battery.

You can get some of the yellow XT60 connectors for cheap from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/OOOUSE-XT60-Connector-Pairs-pairs/dp/B005FAPYXS . The other is a Deans connector, you can just buy a new one http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Connectors-Deans-Style-Female/dp/B0070RS7V0 . Other than that all you need is a soldering iron, solder, and a little bit of heat shrink tubing. You could use some silicone seal around the connector metal instead of shrink if you want.

Before reconnecting the plugs, double check that you got the right colors on the right spots. 

Thank you for quick reply.  It makes sense to me with the thicks-to-thicks and thin-to-thin connections.  I am going to use the old battery's connectors.  Will let you know what happens when I done.

Charged up in 90mins and had a quick spin.  It seems working fine - more powerful than the old battery.  Will see what happens after a few days of commuting. 

I still want to upgrade the Airwheel X3 to a more powerful more in the future.  I am leaning towards Gotway MCM4.  It will take a while to iron out bugs for Kingsong 16.  Ninebot One E+ seems a bit slow and it's hard to put a trolley handle on.  May just wait (now I maybe afford to wait a bit longer) for Gotway 16.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

5 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Which bugs are present on the KS-16? 

I meant that it's such a new product.  It will take a while to see if there is any problem and if it is suitable for commuting.  I don't mean I know there are issues with it.

When Gotway MCM4 was announced, I got very excited.  But it had many problems, and still has some, for example too little tolerance between the tire and the shell.  I still consider it because it's cheaper.

32 minutes ago, EU_commuter said:

I meant that it's such a new product.  It will take a while to see if there is any problem and if it is suitable for commuting.  I don't mean I know there are issues with it.

When Gotway MCM4 was announced, I got very excited.  But it had many problems, and still has some, for example too little tolerance between the tire and the shell.  I still consider it because it's cheaper.

I have the HS version of the MCM4. The clearance of the tire from the shell does not affect our trips. Maybe because we always travel on normal paths and not on off-road areas with lots of gravel. 

Just want to report that after a couple of days of commuting it works like the new wheel.  With the old battery, it shuts down while going up a gentle slope even with the four lights are on.  Now, I can go up the same slope with only one light on.  The mileage is now at least 10miles.  

The forum is wonderful.  Fortunate to be part of community.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to report what I did with the old battery.  It would  be pity to throw it into a (battery) recycling bin. 

I put it in a cookie box for a portable cell phone charging device for emergency or camping use.  old_battery.jpg

The battery dose not have sufficient capacity powering an EU, but it can charge a couple of cell phones quickly.

5 hours ago, EU_commuter said:

Just want to report what I did with the old battery.  It would  be pity to throw it into a (battery) recycling bin. 

I put it in a cookie box for a portable cell phone charging device for emergency or camping use.  old_battery.jpg

The battery dose not have sufficient capacity powering an EU, but it can charge a couple of cell phones quickly.

Nice casing, is that a "lunch box" or something? (EDIT: Doh, you mentioned it's a cookie box, might have to get some myself :))   I've ran into problems with casing my projects, the larger aluminum boxes specifically meant for electronics are too expensive (read: I'm cheap :D), so my current project is building a hot-wire cutter & bending device for acrylic/plexiglass/whatever that "plastic glass" is called ;)   I did find a nice not-that-expensive source for plastic casings lately though (cases are meant for casing "electrical group centers" in houses, if that's the correct term, and wire splits and such in structures), haven't visited the store yet...

6 hours ago, esaj said:

Nice casing, is that a "lunch box" or something? (EDIT: Doh, you mentioned it's a cookie box, might have to get some myself :))   I've ran into problems with casing my projects, the larger aluminum boxes specifically meant for electronics are too expensive (read: I'm cheap :D), so my current project is building a hot-wire cutter & bending device for acrylic/plexiglass/whatever that "plastic glass" is called ;)   I did find a nice not-that-expensive source for plastic casings lately though (cases are meant for casing "electrical group centers" in houses, if that's the correct term, and wire splits and such in structures), haven't visited the store yet...

The box is actually a mooncake box, bought from an Asian supermarket.

Archived