[SOLD] Slightly used (~ 250 km) King Song KS14C 800w 680wh wheel

Frankly, I’ve agonized over this decision, but I've finally decided to sell my slightly used (~ 250 km) King Song KS14C 800w 680wh wheel.  This is the latest Mark 3 version with the upgraded water proofing.  I ordered this unit in early December, but due to various shipping delays, the unit didn't arrive until late February.  Since I’ve received it, I’ve been practicing (on a railed bridge), but I have had a couple of rather debilitating face plants which caused me to reconsider keeping the wheel.

Since experiencing these face plants, and as a result of the medical treatment I required (despite safety gear), both my physician and my chiropractor have recommended that I sell the wheel.  They have emphasized that with my history of a torn ACL, spinal osteoarthritis, and degenerative disk disease; that continued use of the wheel places my health at serious risk.  I’ve given a lot of thought to keeping the wheel, but in consideration of maintaining my health, I feel that I have no choice but to go ahead and sell.

Features:

1.    Slightly used wheel

2.    No USB port on this wheel (i.e. better waterproofing)

3.    Installed bumper tape (to minimize scratches)

4.    Installed grip tape on pedals (very helpful)

5.    Installed additional front light

6.    Side panels have a rubber gasket (which give additional water protection in the rain)

7.    I will also include a trolley handle, Triple 8 Saver Series Wristsavers/Kneesavers/Elbowsavers (Black, Large, 3 Pack), and CIPA 11125 Hand Mirror.

Asking $950 (firm) for all, so you're getting a 680wh unit for less than the price of a 520wh unit, along with all the accessories (I'm keeping the helmet).  My preference is for a local transaction (eastern VA area) since shipping would be expensive, but I am willing to ship at your cost.  I don't expect this deal to last long, so PM me if you are interested.

This wheel is now sold.  Thanks everyone for the interest.

Very sorry to hear about your accidents! I looked at your post history but didn't see anything how they happened,  you might want to create a thread if you think they could help others avoid the same problem. 

On the EUC, can you post some pictures? How heavy is the wheel? When you say you're in eastern VA do you mean Tidewater area, or more like the eastern shore?

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

When you say you're in eastern VA do you mean Tidewater area, or more like the eastern shore?

Definitely the Tidewater area.  Wheel weight is about 15 kg.image.thumb.jpeg.8b84aa3a3ed7aa921330706

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

As @dmethvin said, it would be important to understand more about the circumstances, such as if these were the result of the learning process or if the Wheel gave out?

The wheel certainly did not give out, it has plenty of power and has been (it feel) a very safe wheel.  I believe it was more operator error than anything.  

On each occasion, I was attempting to move (at speed) away from the rail (that I was using as my 'training wheel', essentially) into an open area.  The first time, I was not wearing my wrist guards (they were on order, but had not arrived) and really shredded my palms and 'tweeked' my knee.  The subsequent times I had full protection (wrist, elbow, knee guards and helmet), and each time I was moving too fast to run off and 'threw out' my knee when I fell.  I'm sure that part of this is the learning process, but I also believe that part of the problem is that I have marked diabetic neuropathy in both feet and that condition interferes with my ability to judge the 'angle' of my feet on the pedals.

Oooooh...

thats Not so nice....can't we try to get your decision thought over?

you Know...i am 46 also...Not in a good Shape...broke my rip while learning!

but it is such a Fun...and i think you will be getting better and better so that faceplant will Not Happen any more?!?

at First try to Go Slower that a run of is always possible....

4 hours ago, ConjurMan said:

that condition interferes with my ability to judge the 'angle' of my feet on the pedals.

But if you are able to ride easily on your familiar track, then you should look for another reason.

I have experienced something similar during my learning process. In the moment I was out on nonfamiliar territory I became unstable....but I always rode slowly and in consistent manner increased the speed on new routes..and I'm 49

It's funny that almost all riders are 99% male & +30. The gravitation towards the Wheel is paradoxically not with youth; to me this is quite an anomaly, one imagines the appeal of speed, agility, & thrill seeking would make the Wheel a global best-seller for young. Maybe in today's celebrity culture we just need some more actors riding around film studios on them; if the bl*sted hoverboard was the success that it was solely on this reason, surely it's only a matter of time....

42 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

It's funny that almost all riders are 99% male & +30. The gravitation towards the Wheel is paradoxically not with youth; to me this is quite an anomaly, one imagines the appeal of speed, agility, & thrill seeking would make the Wheel a global best-seller for young. Maybe in today's celebrity culture we just need some more actors riding around film studios on them; if the bl*sted hoverboard was the success that it was solely on this reason, surely it's only a matter of time....

I still believe the high price is also playing a big part here... not many <30-year-olds have a $1000 (or thereabouts) to throw in a "toy" (ie. a decent wheel), and for underaged, their parents might not either be that excited at the idea.

Of course, unicycles (vs. hoverboards) aren't that well known to exist either, and the recent coverage of all the hoverboard fires also might put people off. Nevermind the fact that similar or even more dangerous lithium batteries are all around us and in our daily lives and can fail. Just for example, I recently came upon this (my GF's laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, but luckily, the battery pack in it wasn't within the recall): https://batterycheck.toshiba.com/?region=TAIS&country=US&lang=en

" On January 28, 2016, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. (“Toshiba”) announced a voluntary recall to replace certain Panasonic battery packs manufactured for and used with certain Toshiba laptops sold between June 2011 and January 2016. Toshiba sold the battery packs with new laptops and as accessories or replacement battery packs in the course of repair. Because there is a possibility that the affected battery packs can overheat, they could pose a burn or fire hazard. Toshiba is offering a free replacement for affected battery packs. "

And similar things happen all the time. Not that it's "ok", but it's just reality.

I'm not going to try and talk @ConjurMan out of selling, if his doctor says he should stop. However, with the 16-inch King Song coming at a pretty competitive price I think I will wait for some reviews on that. The wheel looks to be in good shape though and the trolley handle is nice.

Believe me, I have given this a LOT of thought.  I really found that riding the wheel was both enjoyable and fun, but I need to consider longer term picture.  I am 60 and not getting younger and do not heal as quickly as in my youth.  While my skills may improve,  I know that all it will take is one misstep and the consequences would be permanent.  

I did a lot a research and believe that I selected the best and safest wheel currently available on the market at the time.  This is not an issue with the wheel, rather it is taking a broader viewpoint and giving due consideration to my inherent physical limitations and overall health. My last accident left me with an even more unstable knee, and this is on my dominant foot.  Between that instability and the ongoing difficulty with knowing the angle of my feet due to my neuropathy, I am convinced that this is the best decision (for me).

The wheel and accessories are I believe an excellent deal.  Please PM me if you are interested in the wheel.

On 3/23/2016 at 6:00 AM, dmethvin said:

Hope it found a good home! Stay healthy and keep moving!

It did! And yes it will now get to hang out with the big boy 18-A.

18 hours ago, ConjurMan said:

I think it did as it will have a big 'cousin' (an 18" KS) to keep it company.  I will certainly do so, but I'm going to miss her terribly.

If your ever on the left coast (L.A. area) look me up and you can get reacquainted.

4 minutes ago, ConjurMan said:

Very nice, but a ninebot mini will not work for me as the max load is 100 kg and i weigh 11 kg.

The better options are electric bicycles or electric scooters. They are safer than a single wheeler, just ride them moderately. 

hey ConjurMan, sorry to hear that you're backing away from the sport. My experience:  I'm new to Euc riding, but I will say that I am really enjoying the sport but do realize its dangers.  I recently bought a KS 18 (1100/1360), and I have a slightly different take on riding style.  I am 52, and in 'decent' shape but have had issues with arthritis/soreness and back pain when riding standing up.  I ride sitting down on a seat that I have modified from their original pad for comfort.  The KS 18 is tall enough for me to do this, and although some feel that sitting is more difficult to balance, with practice I have not found this to be true.  I had my first real fall last week going too aggressively up a hill (on pavement with about 50% battery, maybe 15km/hr) but found out that when sitting the reduced height made the fall safer.  I did a 'Superman' plane going forward and only road-rashed a small part of my left elbow -- and this was only because I wasn't wearing pads at the time. When I crashed I was already relatively low (sitting vs standing) and did not hit the ground with any real force, certainly less than if I had been standing. Also, after riding standing for a time my back/knees tend to get sore, no problem when sitting.  Maybe sitting on a euc would allow you to continue to ride? It seems a shame to give up something that gives you so much enjoyment.  Just a thought. And I now always 'pad up'.

H

Well I can't overemphasize the need to wear safety gear every time you ride.  While it can be uncomfortable (well compared to wearing no gear), it is DEFINITELY necessary as it only takes one serious injury to sideline you.

I have REALLY struggled with giving up my EUC, as it is JUST SO MUCH FUN!  However, I have been convinced by my healthcare providers that I have to recognize my physical limitations if I want to remain mobile.  I've been looking at alternatives, but unfortunately most of the alternatives have an upper load limit of 100kg (I currently weigh 113kg).  

It looks like my priority at this point needs to be losing weight <grin>.  Then I can look for an alternative that I can manage with a safe level of risk given my physical limitations.  Hopefully I can look into a KS 18" and see if a seated position would help.  Thanks for the suggestion.

On 3/29/2016 at 7:16 AM, HJ said:

hey ConjurMan, sorry to hear that you're backing away from the sport. My experience:  I'm new to Euc riding, but I will say that I am really enjoying the sport but do realize its dangers.  I recently bought a KS 18 (1100/1360), and I have a slightly different take on riding style.  I am 52, and in 'decent' shape but have had issues with arthritis/soreness and back pain when riding standing up.  I ride sitting down on a seat that I have modified from their original pad for comfort.  The KS 18 is tall enough for me to do this, and although some feel that sitting is more difficult to balance, with practice I have not found this to be true.  I had my first real fall last week going too aggressively up a hill (on pavement with about 50% battery, maybe 15km/hr) but found out that when sitting the reduced height made the fall safer.  I did a 'Superman' plane going forward and only road-rashed a small part of my left elbow -- and this was only because I wasn't wearing pads at the time. When I crashed I was already relatively low (sitting vs standing) and did not hit the ground with any real force, certainly less than if I had been standing. Also, after riding standing for a time my back/knees tend to get sore, no problem when sitting.  Maybe sitting on a euc would allow you to continue to ride? It seems a shame to give up something that gives you so much enjoyment.  Just a thought. And I now always 'pad up'.

H

HJ,how tall are you?The reason I ask is because I have had the KS-18a for a while but have never rode on it in the seated position because at 6' it seems way too low.Maybe I should try it anyway?

5'8".....on a good day! LOL  But, I did modify the hard seat pad to make a regular leather seat that adds about 6 inches in height to it.  Not sure about it being too low, do you mean you have to bend your legs more? Even at my height it's somewhat of a 'squat' position, but you get used to it....like those guys in the video riding in Tibet.  And really, I do think it's a safer position to fall from.  I'm having a problem uploading pics  it keeps telling me they my files are too large, but they're smaller than 3mb.  Any ideals? I'd like to upload a pic of my seat.

H

Archived