Charging troubles - sad!

bumblebee

Hi all-

I was so delighted with myself today -- we've had terrible weather for a few days, so I haven't gotten to practice. This morning I managed to make some tight circles and figure eights for the first time, and was feeling like I'm really improving. When I got home, the app said I was at about 35%, which seemed right, so I decided to charge it. I have charged it once before, from 40%, with no problems. I went to plug it in and the red light simply wouldn't come on - only green. I wiggled things a bit and it still wouldn't come on. Then, I came to this forum (which I should have done first, instead of wiggling), and saw the kinds of problems people have had with the pins breaking off and so on. So I peered at my connector and the port on the Ninebot and nothing has broken off, but one of the pins looked bent. I used tweezers to try and bend it back but still can't seem to plug it in and get a red light. I guess I need to write to my distributor and try and get some help or perhaps even cough up for a replacement but any further advice? One of the things about my charger that is odd is that I would imagine I am supposed to align the line on the grey connector with the little divot in the charging port ... but if I do that, the pins are completely not aligned with the holes. It's almost like someone put the grey part on askew. 

Very sad - we are heading into 3 days of gorgeous weather.

36 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

One of the things about my charger that is odd is that I would imagine I am supposed to align the line on the grey connector with the little divot in the charging port ... but if I do that, the pins are completely not aligned with the holes. It's almost like someone put the grey part on askew. 

Very sad - we are heading into 3 days of gorgeous weather.

It does sound like your port is out of alignment as it should line up with the groove.  This would tend to put stress on the pins.  Where are you located?  Maybe someone close can come help or loan a charger.

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

It does sound like your port is out of alignment as it should line up with the groove.  This would tend to put stress on the pins.  Where are you located?  Maybe someone close can come help or loan a charger.

I've never seen anyone here posting from my area -- you're probably the closest, and you're still quite far! I'm in Portland, Oregon and don't want to miss 3 days of sunshine! I wrote to Forward (but didn't explain the gray bit appearing to be put on wrong) and they suggested that perhaps I need a new charger (without really saying much about warranties or anything like that). 

35 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

I've never seen anyone here posting from my area -- you're probably the closest, and you're still quite far! I'm in Portland, Oregon and don't want to miss 3 days of sunshine! I wrote to Forward (but didn't explain the gray bit appearing to be put on wrong) and they suggested that perhaps I need a new charger (without really saying much about warranties or anything like that). 

Yeah, I understand you wanting to use the 3 days of sun coming, since you only get 6 totals sunny days each year.

My brother lives in Olympia, but unfortunately, he does not ride yet, so cannot get you a charger that way.

So, the part that is crooked, is it on the Charger, or the Charging Port on the wheel?

@SuperSport - thanks for the pics. I exchanged some emails and pics with Forward CA and they are sending me another charger on the 22nd! I wanted to update you and also, of course, to let folks here know how pleased I am with their responsiveness.

I've only charged mine 3 times but the third time plugged in it stayed green.  Turns out the wall end had loosened from the charger.  Pushed it in tighter and got red light and it charged fine.  But every time I plug the cord in to the Ninebot there is an audible spark, like bzzt.  This worries me a little, it charges fine but does this happen to anybody else?  Also the pins are tiny,  doesn't look robust enough for a high dollar unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ypu must insert the charger plug in the 9B1 first then connect the charger to the mains. When the battery is charged, you have to disconnect the charger from the mains then disconnect the plug from the 9B1. 

13 minutes ago, Gil said:

Ypu must insert the charger plug in the 9B1 first then connect the charger to the mains. When the battery is charged, you have to disconnect the charger from the mains then disconnect the plug from the 9B1. 

Why is it important to do it in this order?

2 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

Why is it important to do it in this order?

I believe he's referring to the small spark that happens.  If you use his sequence, it would reduce the likelihood of the spark.  Since the connectors ARE so small, they can be burned quite easily.  If it arcs enough, they could possibly weld together and get pulled out like some others have mentioned.

I personally don't use his sequence, but I think it might be a good idea to do so in the future just to prevent having to solder on new connectors.

15 minutes ago, Gil said:

I do it the other way around. I first plug the charger to the mains and then connect the bot. When finished, I disconnect the bot then remove the charger to the mains. Same thing goes with the rest of my wheels. I had a spark before and destroyed my Charge Doctor when doing as per quoted procedure on my MCM2s.

48 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I do it the other way around. I first plug the charger to the mains and then connect the bot. When finished, I disconnect the bot then remove the charger to the mains.

Me too. Otherwise, I get a spark.

50 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I do it the other way around. I first plug the charger to the mains and then connect the bot. When finished, I disconnect the bot then remove the charger to the mains. Same thing goes with the rest of my wheels. I had a spark before and destroyed my Charge Doctor when doing as per quoted procedure on my MCM2s.

I agree  that this is the best  way to do it.

Jer

On 4/6/2016 at 10:54 PM, jer said:

I agree  that this is the best  way to do it.

Jer

But wouldn't this be riskier because if you've already plugged into the wall, then you plug into the bot, there's a possibility that you can put the plug in the bot somewhat askew -- but close enough to complete the circuit momentarily and maybe injure the pins? Whereas if you plug into the bot first, you have some chance of ensuring that the pins are perfectly seated, and then and only then do you try to send juice through it?

1 hour ago, bumblebee said:

But wouldn't this be riskier because if you've already plugged into the wall, then you plug into the bot, there's a possibility that you can put the plug in the bot somewhat askew -- but close enough to complete the circuit momentarily and maybe injure the pins? Whereas if you plug into the bot first, you have some chance of ensuring that the pins are perfectly seated, and then and only then do you try to send juice through it?

Hi

It's to avoid the spark of  a 50 volts dc or so differential, which will ultimately wear the connector out.

By having the power supply switched on this is probably reduced to something like 10 volts.

The assumption is that it won't be shorted out on connection.

There is a guide slot on the ninebot connector which aligns with a key on the power supply

I check  to make sure that the slot and key are orientated correctly before connecting

If the connectors do short out it will cause issues whether or not the power supply is plugged in previously.

It will make you jump and the connector would be destroyed.

Jer

My opinion is that 63 volts are enough to trigger a spark that can damage the connector or electronics. I also have an Airwheel X6 and the charger has a security feature that prevents it from providing current if you do not plug things in the right order (wheel connector first, then mains).

1 hour ago, Gil said:

My opinion is that 63 volts are enough to trigger a spark that can damage the connector or electronics. 

Yes it is, in fact anything over 15 volts will produce a significant spark that is why powering the charger first is often better as @jer says above. A fully discharged Ninebot wil be at around 50 volts, 16 cell wheels maybe 52-55V. A switched off charger still has smoothing capacitors, etc on its output, that 50-55V will charge those capacitors fairly instantly with a high current and spark unless the wheel has a reverse protection diode built in to its charging circuit. If the charger is turned on first there will be at worst 10-15V potential difference between charger and battery resulting in a much smaller and less damaging spark.

Bottom line, therefore,  is whether it is better to have the charger on or off actually depends on whether the wheel has a reverse protection diode in its charge circuitry.

You don't actually need to find out whether or not you have a diode, if you get a noticeable spark with the charger off, try turning it on first next time, if it sparks less or not at all then, for your wheel, it is better to have the charger on first. And of course vice versa if the spark is more noticeable with the charger on.

If you are worried about a tiny spark wearing out your connector, you must live in a tiny electronics protective bubble...  That argument is nonsense. 

Anytime there is a voltage differential there will be a spark. Either in the wall socket, on the ninebot Jack, in your mind. It might slightly discolor the tip, of the connector, but I can assure you it is still plenty conductive and a non issue. 

- ChriCalandro - I work in electronics for a living. 

For what it's worth, I went to the Segway owner manual online and it specifically says the charger is connected to the mains while plugging in and unplugging the vehicle, but did not say why.  I am going to try it that way next charge.

On 3/16/2016 at 3:59 PM, bumblebee said:

Whaaaaaat? I have still yet to see anyone in Portland, do you know anyone else here? Do you wanna ride sometime? Holler

On 4/19/2016 at 10:41 AM, Sidestreet Reny said:

Whaaaaaat? I have still yet to see anyone in Portland, do you know anyone else here? Do you wanna ride sometime? Holler

Hi @Sidestreet Reny, I do not know anyone else with any kind of eu here. I did see a woman riding one once, which is how I learned that they exist. I sometimes wonder if I actually saw another woman given that it feels like I am the only woman on this forum, and when I ride around, little kids invariably assume I am a guy (I have fairly short hair and I guess they just think no one's mom is crazy enough to try such a thing). I just looked at your videos and I do not think we could go for a ride together, LOL. But maybe you could give me some advice :).

Archived