Handling Bumps in the road

After many, many months, I've gotten to the point where I'm feeling fairly confident riding around my neighbourhood on my generic EUC.  Mine has a limited range of under 5 kms on a full charge.

Over the months my tire has lost some air pressure which actually had made it easier for me to ride on, but I noticed a slight squishy riding feeling and lower maximum range.  After pumping it back up, I noticed quite a difference in handling and road feel.  It's a bit more twitchy and responsive, but I also notice that I can't seem to handle going over bumps and some curbs as well.  With the softer under-pressured tire these bumps were easier to get over.  I've been tossed a couple of times where I'm trying to make it over the bump (eg. maybe 1 inch-1.5 inch roll in the asphalt) where the wheel just didn't want to get over the bump but my body kept going.  For more gradual bumps it's not a problem, but more like a sudden rise in the surface that seems to stop it in its tracks.

Anyone got any tips?  Should I roll over them and do a little upwards hop or something?  I've watched a few Speedyfeet UK videos on how to get over obstacles, but yeah with this increased tire pressure it has gotten a lot more difficult I'm finding.

For small bumps, try leaning back a little as you hit the bump. There was a Youtube video that showed it well but I can't find it right now. For larger bumps like a full curb I still hop off and jump the wheel up, then remount. 

The flexibility of the tire definitely makes a difference. I switched over to a Schwalbe Big Apple and it's easier to get over bumps with it than with the OEM tire.

6 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Anyone got any tips?  Should I roll over them and do a little upwards hop or something? 

+1 with @dmethvin there is one road near me with no footpath and solid rubber speed bumps that feel like the north face of the Eiger and tipped me off every time! I've found that heading towards them at a fair speed and then braking hard as I reach them works fine, basically, because you are leaned back braking, the impact just tips you forward to level and then the wheel powers over them. 

Thanks for the tips!  I'll have to give that a try.  For gradual curbs I usually try to do a 45 degree line of attack which usually works.  I try to think of how I would tackle it on a bike.  Sometimes if I scrape the bottom of the pedal I'll go tumbling, but sometimes I can still make it.  With the 14" pumped up tire, it sure is a bit more challenging to make it over sharper edged irregular bumps.  Maybe it's part mental - I'm expecting a faceplant so I'm not driving the EUC forwards at the ankles enough to get it over the bump.... hard to say...

Use your body's natural shock absorbors.  Start with your feet.  Edge your feet back so that you're resting more on the balls/toes of your feet and relax your ankles.  The small bumps will be absorbed by your ankles.  If you're resting on your heels all the bumps will get transmitted up your body.  The next area is your knees. Always bend your knees when going over larger bumps and drops and let the euc move up and over instead of it moving you.  Going over large bumps I usually do a little hop when going over so I'm not putting all my weight into the bump.   Don't lean forward going over large bumps because you can overpower the euc and easily end up in an over-lean situation.

I did try a little back lean before going over some bumps, and that really helped a lot.  I can drop down from right angle curbs like that with no problem, and I use my legs as shock absorbers.  It's just the sharper, small, irregular rolls in the pavement where it meets the concrete sidewalk that sometimes gets me.  It's usually transitioning from the sidewalk, down the wheelchair access slope and then over the 1-1.5 inch roll/bump/excess pavement that got me.  I haven't rolled over that exact same spot, but I'm going to try the slight back lean just before hitting it next time.  I haven't had too many problems going over slight bumps and cracks in the road for the most part.  I even hit an unexpected small pothole which was a little unnerving, but I kept on rolling making sure to keep an eye out for them more next time!

On the bigger curbs I jump it, but if they are small enough go at them fairly slowly then shoot the wheel forward in front of your body so that the wheel hits the curb with some speed but you are leaning backwards slightly and moving slowly........if it all goes pear shaped you won't hurt yourself at all this way.

Not too sure what language he is speaking, but those subtitles and video help  demo the technique.  Thanks!  I'll have to practice that technique a bit more.  The bumps that I hit are about half as high as that right angle sidewalk he jump/rolls up on.  Looks much easier in slo-mo though!

Archived