Gotway Circuit Board Fitting Imminent.

Shady Tools

I've been holding my case together with duct tape for the last few months. Yesterday it rained & my wheel switched itself off whilst I was holding onto a fence waiting to go around a roundabout.

I got back to work & it wouldn't switch off so I've finally decided to put the new case on that Jane sent me.

I'm not feeling very confident as there's a lot of strong sticky stuff to get off before we can extract the innards. I'm not looking forward to trying to stick it all back into the new one.

Here goes nothing...

*** Hmm, I just came on here to start a new post & all of the above text was already in the box ***

"Here goes nothing" was correct though as I couldn't figure out how to reconnect the batteries & 2 resistors fried on my circuit board.

I have been riding my bike to work for the last few months but eventually caved in & bought a new circuit board which is due to arrive on Monday (tomorrow).

I am going to video our attempt at installing it. Any pictures of an 18" fast version Gotway MSuper which hasn't been messed with & still has all of the wires in the correct place would be appreciated.

I'm sure somebody sent me some already but can't seem to find them.

Thanks.

Brilliant. Mine may be version 2 but I don't suppose there's a huge difference. It's the batteries I'm worried about but my friend who is doing it fixes JCB's for a living & says he's going to connect fuses in between everything. Hopefully if anything blows, It will be them.

Thanks.

My friend who is going to do it just asked whether the batteries are series or parallel?

He also wanted to know things like the ampage & other questions I'm waiting for him to text me but the batteries were the most important.

The circuit board is due to be delivered by the end of today so fingers crossed I will be back in the community soon :-)

12 minutes ago, Shady Tools said:

My friend who is going to do it just asked whether the batteries are series or parallel?

He also wanted to know things like the ampage & other questions I'm waiting for him to text me but the batteries were the most important.

The circuit board is due to be delivered by the end of today so fingers crossed I will be back in the community soon :-)

AFAIK, Gotway uses only parallel-setups (no daisy-chains like in at least some King Song wheels). The cells inside 16S-packs themselves are always in series, but you shouldn't put two or more packs in series (as then the voltage would go up to about 120V for two packs, around 180V for three etc ;)).

Don't remember which cells Gotway uses, but likely they're some with 5-10A continuous / 10-20A max output.

It's fixed & working. My friend has put a 20 amp fuse on it. I'm not sure how this will effect it but it seemed like the safer option?

10 hours ago, esaj said:

AFAIK, Gotway uses only parallel-setups (no daisy-chains like in at least some King Song wheels). The cells inside 16S-packs themselves are always in series, but you shouldn't put two or more packs in series (as then the voltage would go up to about 120V for two packs, around 180V for three etc ;)).

Don't remember which cells Gotway uses, but likely they're some with 5-10A continuous / 10-20A max output.

It's fixed & working. My friend has put a 20 amp fuse on it. I'm not sure how this will effect it but it seemed like the safer option?

@Shady Tools: not sure, whether that's such a great idea. Is that 20 amp fuse between the mainboard and all of the parallel battery packs? In other words: will the fuse blow as soon as your wheel consumes more than 20 A? In that case you may risk the same effect as with one of those dangerous standard BMS boards! Just when you need that extra bit of power to get over a bump in the road, the fuse blows and your wheel sends you flying.

As far as I know, the Msuper can easily draw a peak power of 3000 Watt. At a battery level of 60V that means 50A current. With a 20A fuse in between, you won't get that power, but a blown fuse, a dead wheel and a flying lesson instead.

Please get a second opinion on this BEFORE you go on a test ride.

Sorry, I should have been more precise: the 10-20A max is per series of cells. 850Wh Gotway probably has 4 or 5 packs in parallel, so you could be looking at peaks of 40-50A (at 60V nominal voltage, that'd be 2400-3000W) or even above. If the 20A fuse is for all the packs in parallel, you could probably easily blow it, even if it's the slow kind (going 100%-150% above the rating).

11 hours ago, Tilmann said:

@Shady Tools: not sure, whether that's such a great idea. Is that 20 amp fuse between the mainboard and all of the parallel battery packs? In other words: will the fuse blow as soon as your wheel consumes more than 20 A? In that case you may risk the same effect as with one of those dangerous standard BMS boards! Just when you need that extra bit of power to get over a bump in the road, the fuse blows and your wheel sends you flying.

As far as I know, the Msuper can easily draw a peak power of 3000 Watt. At a battery level of 60V that means 50A current. With a 20A fuse in between, you won't get that power, but a blown fuse, a dead wheel and a flying lesson instead.

Please get a second opinion on this BEFORE you go on a test ride.

11 hours ago, esaj said:

Sorry, I should have been more precise: the 10-20A max is per series of cells. 850Wh Gotway probably has 4 or 5 packs in parallel, so you could be looking at peaks of 40-50A (at 60V nominal voltage, that'd be 2400-3000W) or even above. If the 20A fuse is for all the packs in parallel, you could probably easily blow it, even if it's the slow kind (going 100%-150% above the rating).

That explains a lot. I came to work on it this morning (6 miles) & it's double beeping at me around 13/14mph. I used to go 16ish (31kph before getting the first beep.

I assumed this was because when I bought it I requested the beep limit to be set at 35, 37 & 39kph & happily cruised around at 31 - 33. When I bought this new circuit board I forgot to request them to be changed.

The new one is different from the old one as it has extra bits on it (I remember my friend saying there's a transponder where there wasn't one before & more connections). 

Screenshot_2016-03-15-09-05-31.png

???

the Beeps have nothing to do with The fuse mentioned...if your friend installed a 20 amp fuse between mainboard and batterie pack, you will probably faceplant just when you Need your Board to draw more than 20 amps!!

so please ask where exactly The fuse has been Set by your friend...Could be a Realy!! Problem

57 minutes ago, Shady Tools said:

Apparently he put the fuse between the batteries & circuit board so if it shorts out it won't damage my circuit board again.

He's an engineer who works on JCB's & cranes so knows a lot more than me lol.

it wont damage your circuit board, but will damage you. as soon as you accelerate a bit stronger or you go uphill the fuse will blow, your wheel will shut down, and your face will land on the road. this fuse is too small for an euc! your friend is probably not aware of this danger.

edit:

the least you should do is place one fuse per battery pack. 20a should be ok in such case, but i'd actually even then go higher.

I'm going to his tonight because he said he would put sealant on it to ensure it's waterproof. Will take the fuse off when I'm there. Now it's done a few miles I'm more confident that it's wired properly & won't blow. I just didn't want to lose £200 whilst testing it.

Thanks guys, all the advice has been useful. 

My friend said if the batteries short-circuit then the fuse will protect the circuit board from frying. He has a 30A & 50A fuse but they're big.

It's the beeps that are really annoying me now because it feels like I'm going really slow & it's making too much noise. I've only gone up to the double beep so far, will find a patch of grass & make it cut out on the flat, uphill & downhill soon so I know it's limits.

The app doesn't work with it so I don't know if there's a new version I need to get? I'm hoping that I can change the beeps on that because otherwise I can't see a way of stopping them.

I advice you to Let your friend Read this Diskussion here and .....what The experts have written here!

do NOT put a fuse with to low Amps between Batteries and circuit board!! If this fuse is to low you WILL faceplant....your Board will be ok....but you will Not!

I'm confused about what is happening here...

A short circuited battery pack would not fry the board if the short happened before the board.  Electricity will take the path of least resistance - the short.

Why are you adding fuses and jumpers and extras?  That jumper looks like a lot of extra metal to be floating around in there...

2 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I'm confused about what is happening here...

A short circuited battery pack would not fry the board if the short happened before the board.  Electricity will take the path of least resistance - the short.

Why are you adding fuses and jumpers and extras?  That jumper looks like a lot of extra metal to be floating around in there...

I'm not sure too be honest, I've never been very good with electrics & didn't know anybody else with the expertise to fit it. I requested instructions to be sent with the board but didn't receive any.

I'm just glad it's working again - albeit slowly until I test it's limits.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the fuse out last night. It's all sealed up now so is going to be more difficult to open the next time I need to get into it but it's definitely waterproof.

While I fitted the new circuit board in my Gotway my friend used industrial sealant & industrial thread locker (Locktite but better) to secure my wheel nut.

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a wobble which is progressively getting worse. I assumed it was the wheel nut again but we just took it apart & found that the nut is still solid but the bracket has worn away.

My friend is suggesting we use Chemical Metal to secure it but is also warning me that we will never get it off again if we do. Any suggestions on other materials we could use or solutions or shall I go for it?

I can't imagine a reason I would ever take it off but guess there may be one day.

Thanks in advance.

Archived