Best EUC speedometer

who_the

Curious as to how people monitor their speed while riding. On Android I've discovered Speed to Text, an app that will speak your top speed every x seconds, where x is a value you set. You can choose KPH, MPH in a number of varieties, including top speed or average speed during the time since the previous notification.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mmi.android.speedtotext

I set the app to run in the background and speak my speed every two seconds. I wear a Bluetooth headset (Moto Hint v2) and play it at half volume so that I get a pretty much constant feed of my current speed. Helps me to max out between 25 to 27 kph (IPS Zero 340wh) without getting uncomfortably close to max speed. I find that I can indeed "feel" my speed pretty closely, and think that the app has helped me calibrate my internal speedometer.

Curious to hear if there are iOS solutions to this problem as well. CHEERS

Bike computers beat the crap out of any app based on GPS or such in accuracy, but may not be as handy (you need to attach the computer to your wheel and turn your head to look at it).

Thanks, nice suggestion, though the non-GPS bike computers I've used require sensors and pickups on the bike wheel to accurate gauge speed and distance. Not sure how (or even if) we could attach those to our wheels safely and securely?

On 12.3.2016 at 7:46 PM, who_the said:

Thanks, nice suggestion, though the non-GPS bike computers I've used require sensors and pickups on the bike wheel to accurate gauge speed and distance. Not sure how (or even if) we could attach those to our wheels safely and securely?

That's exactly the kind I meant (magnetic "reed" sensor), you attach the magnet to the rim and the sensor on the shell, then measure the tire circumference and enter it into the bike computer. Depending how accurately you measured the circumference (taking into account that the tire will "squish" in a bit with weight on top etc), you can get pretty close to 0% error margin. Reaching less than 1% error doesn't take even much effort in measuring.

GPS can be accurate down to about +-1 meter, but even if you were riding 36km/h (= 10 meters per second), there could still be 10% error (assuming the speed is updated once per second), although it can probably be somewhat mitigated by taking samples faster (multiple times per second) and averaging over time (although then you'll get larger error during fast acceleration/braking). Go slower and the error is larger (as that +-1 meter is percentually much larger portion of the total speed). If you aren't riding exactly straight, or the Doppler effect isn't taken into account and/or there's interference or such, the error can be much larger than that.

5 hours ago, Simon Lovell said:

I use a Sunto watch on which I have set up some apps just for use on the EUC. Nothing to drop or break and I can see average speed, time, distance, too speed achieved etc etc.

Maybe it is "Suunto" watch? I use "Polar m400" watch for same thing. Maybe it is not very precise but my hands are free and it is always with me.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, who_the said:

@StreetMeatNYC Thanks for sharing, great ride, right at rush hour too. I lived in Manhattan 15 years ago, loved it. Would ride a bike around Midtown, could get pretty hairy. How is it on a EUC?

Note the avoided area in the attached pic. That's roughly 1000miles. Plus 2nd Ave sub construction has got bike line closed until the 40s. And going wrong way down 1st ahole bikers get pissed, I've survived it a few times on the sidewalks a few times. I really enjoy sidewalks, bobbing and weaving around people is crazy fun.

Also, note that ride took 40 minutes, not 2 hours. I forgot to stop it when I got home.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 10.58.19 AM.png

Archived