Riding Surfaces - artificial turf

McDude

Hi,

I was curious to know if anyone had any experience riding on artificial turf such as a football field.  I was considering going out to the field near my house and doing some speed tests and figured that would be a relatively soft surface to fall on and could better understand the limits of my wheel without eating concrete. 

However, i was a bit concerned with the construction of the turf as it is filled with rubber granules.  I dont know a lot about what goes on inside the wheel, but the last thing i want is for the wheel to get clogged or damaged from these pellets flying up inside of it.

Here is a link to a site showing sort of what these rubber granules look like.  http://www.arturf.com/accessories/artificial-grass-infill-rubber-granules/

I've done it, on a large double soccer field. The surface was extra grippy and unforgiving because small steering adjustments are amplified.  Unlike concrete where it's easy to move in a straight line, I found it difficult to maintain a calm & smooth straight line on turf.

Perhaps this isn't due to the surface but rather to the fact that my fat body pushes the wheel down into the soft turf and therefore creates a large arc of grippy contact with the ground.

Thanks for the comments Musk.  That is a problem i didnt anticipate.  So you didnt have any issues with the Pellets?  I might still try it anyways, i had a voltage drop shut down on me and face planted so hard, i think i may have broken my palm.  So im would like to get a better sense as to what the wheel can and cant do as far as speed.  The IPS has pretty quiet beeping, and i had one headphone piece in, and didnt even hear it at the time.  

Archived