Flying/Airline/Security rules for EUCs

Ophicleide

I'm searching through threads today to find some up to date info about taking an EUC on a commercial flight. In general terms, it seems that at the present time, they're simply banned outright. I thought this thread might be a good place to update each other on details of this. I'm sure I'm not the only owner wanting to take their EUC on holidays (and even work trips!) with them!

As I said, there seems to be a blanket ban at the moment, but what about power/battery limits? 

Does anybody know if this can be skirted by disconnecting the battery?

I think this is an opportunity for rental businesses. I've been contacting Segway rental places at my travel destinations but so far none have been willing to rent EUCs (but some have been willing to sell). There sure are enough Segway rentals.

I encourage everyone else to do the same, since after enough queries they will start thinking about it. Ask for EUC rental everywhere you go! Every vehicle rental is a potential future source of EUCs, from car rental to bicycle.

Go for it, start lobbying!

This was in January during my trip to CES in Las Vegas. And yes it is two issues like you said, but the main issue is the airlines since TSA doesn't care as long as its not a bomb or have sharp edges. Southwest employees and flight attendants didn't ask about my wheel nor did I try to bring any attention to it. I just treated it like a regular piece of carry on luggage.

sr_itjJAXFh2JfR8_Uz0kLaWVi3wbd5xpvm9eKSs

eZ1DXseyS8gjDsm4dijck7objgw0ryiwv1K_Nrha

13 minutes ago, Ophicleide said:

I just feel like there's a risk of them not allowing it in/on and therefore missing your flight

There is always a risk. But you can always take the chance and manage to get aboard.

A last resort I was thinking about was shipping the battery and taking the EUC on the plane with me (battery-less).

It's FAR from ideal, and it won't work for everyone / every trip, but it could be a reasonable alternative if you really want your EUC at your destination and you're going to be there for more than a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm in the middle of a conversation with Cathay Pacific (airline) about this. At the moment it's shaping up that they don't mind the EUC with battery for carry-on, but might not allow it because it's 5lbs over the weight limit!

They're at least giving me info though.

As some of you may know, i used to take my euc through the airport on a weekly basis. I am flying every week for work between sweden-Norway-finland-denmark. I have never had a problem until 2 weeks ago when i couldnt pass the security. 

I own a EUC of 130wh ips zero. 

IATA aparently made it very easy for them and if it has a battery on lithium and a wheel they do not allow you to pass any longer. Unless you can detach the battery and it says on it the size and is compact like the laptop one uou are not allowed to pass. So that is crap. 

In the airport when it goes through the scanner they can see if the euc has a battery or not. 

Also fyi every checked in luggage is scanned as well and is forbiden to carry batteries in it. Specially lithium that can ignite if they make contact in between them or with a metal

I just wonder about laptops as some have even bigger batteries than the euc has(130w). Double standards I think or thank you to hoverboards. Over here hoverboards are a big no no anywhere, we actually have laws that target them specifically(they have been banned for sale in Australia twice now) and the fines are worse than for a car, just everyone dumps the euc's as being a hoverboard. I have written to numerous politicians about this and to clarify that the hoverboard is not a euc.

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I just wonder about laptops as some have even bigger batteries than the euc has(130w). Double standards I think or thank you to hoverboards. Over here hoverboards are a big no no anywhere, we actually have laws that target them specifically(they have been banned for sale in Australia twice now) and the fines are worse than for a car, just everyone dumps the euc's as being a hoverboard. I have written to numerous politicians about this and to clarify that the hoverboard is not a euc.

Are you sure that there are laptops with 16 cells? I thought laptops had around 8 cells max... are you mixing mAh vs. Wh? On the other hand, I haven't followed computer tech for several years, so maybe they're really packing that big packs into them nowadays :P

With 3500mAh (3.5Ah) cells, an 8-cell laptop battery could have around 8 cells * 3.7V/cell * 3.5Ah = 103.6Wh. If those were in series (producing around 29.6V nominal voltage), it would have 3500mAh, if all of them were paralleled, the mAh would be 8 * 3500mAh = 28 000mAh (28Ah).

@Dr Bob, as @esaj said, 130w (watt- unit of power) is not a property of a battery. Wh (watt hour) is how batteries are described, meaning how many watts can a battery deliver over an hour of its operation (or seen from another angle, for how many hours would a battery operate delivering one watt continuously). Ah (ampere hour) is also a property of a battery, and is directly proportional to Wh, Ah = Wh/battery voltage - it says how much current can battery deliver over 1h.

A typical (big) LiIon laptop battery, say running at ~11V, would be made of 6 3Ah (at most) LiIon cells in two series. meaning it would be 6Ah (two series * 3Ah). This would give us 6Ah*11V = 66Wh

A battery with 12 LiIon cells giving 132Wh (and 12Ah@11V) would be difficult to fit in anything you could still call a laptop. Anyhow, most laptop nowadays use LiPos I guess, which are lighter and easier to pack into laptop cases. for example a battery in a 15" macbook pro is 8.440Ah @ 11,26V, giving 95Wh. LiIon is said to be heavier and provides less current than LiPo, but is also cheaper, has higher energy density and is more durable.

18 hours ago, esaj said:

Are you sure that there are laptops with 16 cells? I thought laptops had around 8 cells max... are you mixing mAh vs. Wh? On the other hand, I haven't followed computer tech for several years, so maybe they're really packing that big packs into them nowadays :P

With 3500mAh (3.5Ah) cells, an 8-cell laptop battery could have around 8 cells * 3.7V/cell * 3.5Ah = 103.6Wh. If those were in series (producing around 29.6V nominal voltage), it would have 3500mAh, if all of them were paralleled, the mAh would be 8 * 3500mAh = 28 000mAh (28Ah).

Esaj I know nothing about these batteries watts, etc, I was just saying laptops like the one I am using now has 12 cells in pack, 17volts and is quoted as 5000mah. so to me batteries being banned on flights must be fair all round not just euc. Under legislation here this they cannot do, if they ban one battery powered device they must ban them all, phones, laptops, torches etc, I was going to take my wheel with me when I fly as I travel interstate quite often to race motorcycles and I originally bought the euc for what they call track walking, basically inspecting track and surface before racing. We used to use mopes, but they banned them for doing this. But hey euc is just soooooo much fun I ride everyday now and even make excuses to go for a ride :)

Had a day trip from San Francisco (SFO) to San Diego (SAN) on Tuesday with my Airwheel X3.  At SFO, the wheel was pulled out of the x-ray machine.  The security agent asked his supervisor for advice.  The supervisor gave me the green light and chatted me while I put things together.

I carried the wheel in a large bag to avoid attention in the terminal  and had no problem to bring it on board

wheel_in_bag.jpg

After landing in San Diego, there was a continuous announcement, saying " wheeled devices including skateboards and hoverboards are not permitted in terminals and on sidewalks".  I was nervous for a  moment before realized that they just would not allow riding of those devices in the airport. 

Riding on the sidewalk along the Harbor Blvd from the airport to the convention center (3.7miles) was more fun, less expensive, and probably faster than taking a taxi and Uber.

After finishing business in the afternoon, I rode back and saw a small Segway tour group close to the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum ( the background of the photo):

Segway.jpg

At the San Diego airport security check point, the agents laughed when they saw the wheel on the x-ray machine.  They didn't even ask me to take the wheel out of the bag.

Perhaps San Diego is the most friendly city for EUs; highly recommend to anyone going there with a wheel!

Of course, it is our responsibility that the wheels we bring on board are safe.  I had the wheel for nearly two years and use it daily.  A new battery was installed a month ago.  When I arrived at airports, the battery capacity was always less than ~50-60% full.  I also had a cap tapped over the switch to prevent an accidental activation.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:16 PM, Dr Bob said:

Esaj I know nothing about these batteries watts, etc, I was just saying laptops like the one I am using now has 12 cells in pack, 17volts and is quoted as 5000mah. so to me batteries being banned on flights must be fair all round not just euc. Under legislation here this they cannot do, if they ban one battery powered device they must ban them all, phones, laptops, torches etc, I was going to take my wheel with me when I fly as I travel interstate quite often to race motorcycles and I originally bought the euc for what they call track walking, basically inspecting track and surface before racing. We used to use mopes, but they banned them for doing this. But hey euc is just soooooo much fun I ride everyday now and even make excuses to go for a ride :)

No laptop battery is above 100Wh. The rules are very clear: batteries below 100Wh are permitted, batteries between 100Wh and 160Wh usually can travel. Your laptop (assuming your numbers are right) is an 85Wh battery, well below the limit. EUC batteries can easily be more than 680Wh, may times above the limit (and very dangerous in case of fire onboard a plane)

The existing rules are logical and relatively well designed, once you understand battery technology and the risk involved. No common electronic device (or RC toy, drone, etc) is restricted. Only very big batteries like the ones you find in EUCs are

On 12.03.2016 at 10:56 PM, noisycarlos said:

A last resort I was thinking about was shipping the battery and taking the EUC on the plane with me (battery-less).

It's FAR from ideal, and it won't work for everyone / every trip, but it could be a reasonable alternative if you really want your EUC at your destination and you're going to be there for more than a few days.

Yes, I agree with you! ;) I'd say, this is the best option to send batteries separately by the carrier company. I did this recently... I traveled by ryanair. Just left my wheel in the big luggage with no battery. There was no any stress, no any questions and absolute peace of mind!!! The thing is, that different flight companies could have different rules. Different airport workers could have various views about such a lithium batteries....You can't always guaranty what to expect there..<_<

• 1 month later...

It's a No from Virgin Atlantic....

Please be advised hoverboards are not permitted onboard within hand baggage and check in baggage.
This ban applies to all hoverboards, mini-segways, self-balancing scooters, swegboards, smart balance wheels and breeze boards.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

It's a No from Virgin Atlantic....

Please be advised hoverboards are not permitted onboard within hand baggage and check in baggage.
This ban applies to all hoverboards, mini-segways, self-balancing scooters, swegboards, smart balance wheels and breeze boards.

I can also say it is a "NO GO" from emirates.....

And it depends on the "Check-In" Supervisor if they allow it to you when batteries are not in there!

Some say: "No batteries? then ok!" Some say: "Generaly not allowed....Batteries doesn't matter"

On ‎13‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 11:56 PM, noisycarlos said:

Read my last answer...can have a very bad end....

I think it's just easier for the managers to advise the check in staff it's a no.... rather that say, only without batteries, or only if batteries are a certain size.

The last thing you want is to sneak it through, then not be allowed to bring it back

On March 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Skara said:

I think this is an opportunity for rental businesses. I've been contacting Segway rental places at my travel destinations but so far none have been willing to rent EUCs (but some have been willing to sell). There sure are enough Segway rentals.

I encourage everyone else to do the same, since after enough queries they will start thinking about it. Ask for EUC rental everywhere you go! Every vehicle rental is a potential future source of EUCs, from car rental to bicycle.

Go for it, start lobbying!

I think the best route is to have a certification/ license process in place much like the auto, mortorcycles, aviation, even scuba diving industry. You cannot rent a plane, car or skuba gear unless you have someway to show you are proficient. ECU renters would be both fearful of lawsuits and returned trashed equipment renting to anybody just walking off the street.

Archived